Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Celebrating Lateran Basilica Dedication? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jmjmaz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote jmjmaz

Each Friday, we look ahead to the next week's saints/feasts to see if there's anything special we can do. I'm eagerly planning next week now that I've seen three feasts set in 4th-5th century Rome and we're covering Ancient Rome & Early Christianity in history this month! We like to do projects/crafts, but I'm having trouble finding hands-on ideas for celebrating the Feast of the Dedication of St. John Lateran. I'm thinking about maybe having dd (12yo) build a model of the basilica or its baptismal font. Just wondering what others may have done in the past or are planning to do to celebrate this feast day. Thanks!
Back to Top View jmjmaz's Profile Search for other posts by jmjmaz

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jmjmaz wrote:
We like to do projects/crafts, but I'm having trouble finding hands-on ideas for celebrating the Feast of the Dedication of St. John Lateran. I'm thinking about maybe having dd (12yo) build a model of the basilica or its baptismal font. Just wondering what others may have done in the past or are planning to do to celebrate this feast day. Thanks!

- that is a very good question. One I have asked for years - it's my daughters birthday and it is kind of a weird "feast day" since it's not a person/saint. so we haven't really ever done much. A few weeks ago one of the brothers did a presentation for our teen group on the government of Rome and the Pope's many roles. He really emphasized Basilica of St. John Lateran as the Pope's official cathedral (cathedra/seat). Having it emphasized how important it is really made me realize we should do something with the feast day.

This text from Catholic Culture's site got me thinking.
Quote:
...called the Church of Holy Savior or the Church of St. John Baptist, it was the baptism church of ancient Rome. It was built in the time of Constantine and was consecrated by Pope Sylvester in 324. This feast became a universal celebration in honor of the basilica called "the mother and mistress of all churches of Rome and the world"

I would do something to emphasis the baptism focus or the "mother of all churches of the world" focus. A model of a church would be a good idea - or maybe a poster with a pyramid type set up - St. John Lateran on top, under it some of the other major cathedrals/basilicas of the world, under that the major US churches (Baltimore Cathedral or Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, under that the cathedral of your diocese, under that your own parish church. Maybe picture with it of the priest. bishop, pope who presides there.

Another idea is the baptisem one - take a shell to represent baptism and put a picture in it of the St. John Lateran, and decorate. Saw this shell idea on Pinterest and would be easy to adapt.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

jmjmaz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 05 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote jmjmaz

Thanks, Mary. I like both your ideas. I'll have to give it some thought and also see what interests dd. We'll come up with something!
Back to Top View jmjmaz's Profile Search for other posts by jmjmaz

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version