Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Member Retreat: St. Martin de Porres Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Pray for us...

As his feast day is today, we ask his intercession for the patronage of this retreat.

O God, the rewarder of the humble, you raised up the blessed confessor Martin to the kingdom of heaven. May his merits and prayers help us to imitate his humility on earth that we may be exalted with him in heaven. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact's comic book story of St. Martin, printed the year he was canonized (1962 - he was a "new" saint then )

Read full comic version here.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

Thanks for sharing this, Mary! It caught my 9yo's eye. This is a saint I know very little about; must research.

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

There is so much about Martin de Porres that is quite endearing. I love that he is one of the saints of the Western Hemisphere, and his skin color isn't the same as most European saints, and his heritage wasn't all perfect in the eyes of society. God doesn't care about that.

With this example of this saint, it's a perfect reminder that God sees through us -- he's not looking at my have nots in the worldly sense, but my haves in my soul.

Simple and beautiful faith, steady and loving in his work, definitely a saint for all of us, especially our children to identify with and imitate.

Sorry, I got carried away. It's just so neat that within 8 days we celebrate 2 Martins, from both extremes. And both made the highest goal!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

He is one of our favorite family saints. The kids love the stories of him feeding the mice, etc.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Joining you in asking St. Martin de Porres' intercession and prayers for our retreat! His feast is celebrated on November 11 in the old calendar (November 11 was the day of his death in 397), and in reading through the St. Andrew's Missal I came across a phrase I'd not heard of before - "St. Martin's Summer". We in American often refer to Indian Summer, a period of warm weather during fall, and in Europe, they refer to this period as St. Martin's Summer, and the end of St. Martin's Summer is considered to be his Feast day, November 11. St. Martin's Summer is considered to be the end of fall. Isn't that interesting? Or am I the only one who had never heard of St. Martin's Summer before?    

St. Martin's (Martinmas) feast was (still is by many) considered Thanksgiving in Europe, and the faithful traditionally ate roast goose, considering his feast a sort of Mardi-Gras before the penitential season of Advent. It was the day of the harvest festival, thanking God for the rich harvest, full barns and stocked larders.

Do check out this St. Martin's Day thread with Mary's great paper lanterns. In the old rite St. Martin's feast was observed as an octave just as St. Laurence's feast was. So...we can celebrate Martinmas, St. Martin's Summer, for 8 days!!

St. Martin, pray for us!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:
Joining you in asking St. Martin de Porres' intercession and prayers for our retreat! His feast is celebrated on November 11 in the old calendar (November 11 was the day of his death in 397), and in reading through the St. Andrew's Missal I came across a phrase I'd not heard of before - "St. Martin's Summer". We in American often refer to Indian Summer, a period of warm weather during fall, and in Europe, they refer to this period as St. Martin's Summer, and the end of St. Martin's Summer is considered to be his Feast day, November 11. St. Martin's Summer is considered to be the end of fall. Isn't that interesting? Or am I the only one who had never heard of St. Martin's Summer before?    

St. Martin's (Martinmas) feast was (still is by many) considered Thanksgiving in Europe, and the faithful traditionally ate roast goose, considering his feast a sort of Mardi-Gras before the penitential season of Advent. It was the day of the harvest festival, thanking God for the rich harvest, full barns and stocked larders.

Do check out this St. Martin's Day thread with Mary's great paper lanterns. In the old rite St. Martin's feast was observed as an octave just as St. Laurence's feast was. So...we can celebrate Martinmas, St. Martin's Summer, for 8 days!!

St. Martin, pray for us!

Ugh. Never mind me! This is all reflective of St. Martin of Tours...not St. Martin de Porres! I'll chalk it up to having only one cup of coffee when I posted earlier, but you know, I even thought to myself - am I sure I'm not confusing my St. Martins????? And apparently - I DID! I'm off to St. Charles Borromeo's thread for today! Hopefully I can keep that straight!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Nevermind, Jen. I found it enlightening and interesting just the same! And, no, I'd never heard of St. Martin's summer.

I made my consecration to Mary (following St. Louis de Montfort's guide) on St. Martin of Tours feast day. Not exactly a Marian feast, but it's the way it turned out just the same, so I was very happy to have the extra information.   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Jen.... ...understandable error. I find the 2 Martin feast days within one week a bit confusing myself, and so do others. Last year we had our St. Martin of Tours feast day party for out local group. I asked one of the moms to bring coloring pages - and she brought St. Martin de Porres ones since she thought we were celebrating his feast. And there is generally some confusing among the kids at those gatherings and they will mix them up.

I became familiar with the St. Martin's Summer several years ago through these boards - not sure if it was directly mentioned or if it was through some reading that I found through referrals. It is so beautiful connection.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Other popular variations for Indian Summer include “St. Luke’s Summer,” in reference to St. Luke’s Day on Oct. 18, and “All Hallown Summer,” in reference to All Saints Day on November 1. And I have actually seen that "Indian Summer" that occurs between St. Luke's feast and St. Martin's is the one referred to as St. Luke's Summer, so that St. Martin's Summer is actually the time from St. Martin's feast to Nov. 20 and is what some say the true time of Indian Summer.

The Old Farmer's Almanac has adhered to the saying, "If All Saints' (November 1) brings out winter, St. Martin's brings out Indian summer."

And I just posted a couple St. Martin's Summer poems to the Seasonal Poems thread.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We just listened to the GLORY STORY of him....my kids really like him.

St. Martin, pray for us all on this retreat!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version