Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Read Alouds with E-Readers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Does anyone do read-alouds with an e-reader?

I just bought some bedtime stories because I didn't have a way to read aloud some Burgess stories and I didn't want to print them out. I don't mind another book, really.

Even though they are free online, I can't see using an e-reader when we're snuggling to read for bed.

But maybe someone else can paint a cozier picture?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

So, NOT a picture book, right?

For chapter read alouds (no pics) I think it's a better fit actually. I don't have to hold open a book, I can nurse easier, don't lose my page if dropped, it's lighter. LOVE my kindle for bedtime reading...personal AND with the kids one-on-one, or read aloud-group.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I haven't gotten a Kindle or iPad yet, let alone smart phone, so I'm just asking questions. That paints a good picture, Suzanne. Thanks!
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SuzanneG wrote:
So, NOT a picture book, right?

For chapter read alouds (no pics) I think it's a better fit actually. I don't have to hold open a book, I can nurse easier, don't lose my page if dropped, it's lighter. LOVE my kindle for bedtime reading...personal AND with the kids one-on-one, or read aloud-group.

Ditto. And I actually have Winnie the Pooh on my iPad, which isn't a picture book, per se, but certainly the children enjoy looking at the illustrations. Of course, my iPad is color (unlike a Kindle). I really like my iPad for bedtime reading because I don't need a separate light on.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Every day.
I read aloud 50 Famous stories, Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare, Grammar land, Burgess, etc from my Kindle. They were free, so to me it more than makes up for the lack of pictures. Dd reads independently from it as well
I also ditto the bedtime reading for myself. Love that I can read late at night with my little Kindle light on and not disturb hubby trying to sleep.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ah, I see now you were asking about bedtime stories. My examples were daytime/school read-alouds. I'm not so much into the Kindle for bedtime stories. For that we have old favorite picture books.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, any example. I really haven't seen an e-reader applied in real life.

Day time reading aloud, chapter books or picture books.

Night time reading aloud, chapter books or picture books.

Books or e-readers?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I do wonder with little ones. What kind of message are they going to perceive if I use computers or e-readers? I was thinking to mainly use books, but sprinkle with e-books at times, so they can still have the sensorial experience with the book.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:
I do wonder with little ones. What kind of message are they going to perceive if I use computers or e-readers? I was thinking to mainly use books, but sprinkle with e-books at times, so they can still have the sensorial experience with the book.

Yes....I don't worry about it b/c we use so many physical books. The e-readers are just a smattering.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Yes....I don't worry about it b/c we use so many physical books. The e-readers are just a smattering.

That's how it is here, too. There a great tool! Very useful! But the kids encounter so many books daily that it isn't even CLOSE to being an issue!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Hmm. I can't see that it would be a problem even if the majority of your reading was from an e-reader.
After all, they ARE books, just in a digital format. As far as content goes, there is no difference (except, of course, the pictures).
It's not like I'm pulling out the iPad and playing angry birds or checking my email. In fact, I read much more now that I have my kindle and I love that my kids see me reading more. It's because I have access to many more books than I did before and I can carry a whole library with me wherever I go.
I think the message is the same. Reading = good stuff.

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

We read three "books" each night. One picture book while we are all sitting on one bed, one book (sometimes more wordy or fewer pictures) while each boy is in his own bed, and a chapter of a Kindle book (currently we're reading Dr. Doolittle) while they sip water or play with a small toy in hand. My guys are 4 and 2.5 so having a wind down routine is really helpful.

I also use the Kindle in the car for road trips and occasionally during lunch or snack time. We don't really cuddle up to read it like a picture book though.

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

I usually use our Kindle for a few books during our "school time", but Dad was home today so things got shifted a bit.... I laid on the couch and announced offhandedly that I had just glanced through a book with some short fairy tales. I was immediately surrounded. One behind me on the armrest and one snuggled up in front of me. (I think the other one was twirling in circles across the room.) Made for a nice moment. Yes, snuggled up with my kids and my Kindle.

I do really have an affinity for good old picture BOOKS though!!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

lapazfarm wrote:
Hmm. I can't see that it would be a problem even if the majority of your reading was from an e-reader.
After all, they ARE books, just in a digital format. As far as content goes, there is no difference (except, of course, the pictures).
It's not like I'm pulling out the iPad and playing angry birds or checking my email. In fact, I read much more now that I have my kindle and I love that my kids see me reading more. It's because I have access to many more books than I did before and I can carry a whole library with me wherever I go.
I think the message is the same. Reading = good stuff.

This is how I see it, too. And I think that reading to them from my iPad means that they recognize that I'm reading with it for myself instead of just surfing the web.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

We have a Nook, and I have so far only used it for reading aloud during snack/lunch time (we all eat, and then they tend to linger at the table, giving me some extra time to read to them).   Also, my oldest 2 will read from it on their own.

I still prefer a physical book for sure, but I asked for one (for Mother's day last year), because of the ability to get all those free common domain books that I wanted anyway.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Maybe if you got a cover to go with your e-reader (they are pretty and inexpensive nowadays) it would "feel" more like a book.

We've found that the Kindle supplements but does not replace real books.   I don't think I'd use an ereader for picture books (though you never know -- it may come to that) but it's great for other types of books.   Especially, I find it useful during our Ambleside-type reading. There are so many books that I used to print out (but print-outs don't feel like a book to me) and now I can just read on the Kindle.   

Same with the kids. They do 90 percent of their reading with real books, but enjoy the Kindle because there are some free books on there that we couldn't easily buy. Plus, now most libraries have Kindle and Nook lending libraries.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 20 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

I'm trying to also decide if an e-reader is worth it or not. I have several ebooks saved in pdf format to my computer (mainly google and other domain books - a lot from homeschoolingfreebie.com) that I could NEVER afford to print out. Can you put these on a Kindle or Nook and sync from your own pdf stash or do you have to go find that public domain title again and download to e-reader?
Back to Top View amy_payson's Profile Search for other posts by amy_payson

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

amy_payson wrote:
I'm trying to also decide if an e-reader is worth it or not. I have several ebooks saved in pdf format to my computer (mainly google and other domain books - a lot from homeschoolingfreebie.com) that I could NEVER afford to print out. Can you put these on a Kindle or Nook and sync from your own pdf stash or do you have to go find that public domain title again and download to e-reader?

I have really been enjoying my iPad. You go to iTunes then locate your pdf's on your computer then transfer them across very easily to iBooks by syncing, which to people like me means you use the cord to plug your iPad into your computer and then watch it do it's stuff . I mean, even I can do it and that's saying something. You should have seen me the other night when I realized the possibilities. 1 it being easy, 2 my big lot of pdf's that suddenly could be used in a much better format. You can do this with the kindle too but I'm not sure of the details.

I saw your question on another post too. While I can't speak for Nook, using kindle on an iPad is in my opinion (because I think this is very much an opinion thing) better than having a kindle. I don't think even a kindle fire would be tempting now that I have tried an iPad. My husband has a Samsung tablet which looks to be the same size as the kindle fire and it hasn't had as much of a look in since we got the iPad.
When I first saw the iPad I thought the screen looks too big, but I have found it to be just the right size especially for picture books with everyone trying to snuggle up.

I have noticed that to my kids mum reading on the iPad is in their understanding mum playing. Yet I actually am able to read more thanks to my iPad at this stage of my life having a 6 month old.
Your children can't see what you are reading though, they can't see you reading your Bible for instance. I remember reading about a lady who had been impressed that her grandparents (I think) Bible had been read so often that their hand prints were worn into the leather. I can't see a worn out kindle or iPad having the same inspiring effect.
But being able to carry hundreds/thousands of books in your handbag can be very useful. In my household at least we will use our iPad to its full benefit, because it is very useful for certain things without a doubt, but it will only represent a part of our reading as others have said.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I can't really see my Kindle (on my iPad) as a "book". Not really. A book has pages and weight and an interactive aspect, whereas the Kindle is sort of a non-sensory experience for some reason. Having said that, I do read on it a lot.

1. It's easy to transport a lot of books back and forth between our homes.

2. I can get free, OP texts on it, which I love.

3. I can read on-the-go to my kids without having to haul lots of books and especially to expose nice or collectible texts to the wear and tear of being in a bag or in the car...pretty tough on older books.

So, what I do for the children's reading is to have a REAL book at home to read from and a copy on my Kindle of the same book which I read from when we're on the go. Kind of redundant, but it works for us.

We're just weird as far as real books go, I guess .

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2012 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm not sure that a kindle can read pdf format.. but moving files from the computer to the kindle is super easy. If you can move files between the computer and a flash drive or external hard drive or such you can move files on and off the kindle. you can also put the free kindle app on the computer and then sync the two.

I haven't done much reading aloud with the kindle yet.. but I can see if being really helpful to be able to be totally one handed since I tend to get 3+ kids wanting to sit on my "lap" whenever I sit.   

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version