Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Flannery O'Connor book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Mystery and Manners

Has anyone read this book? The table of contents looks fascinating, and there is an essay on teaching literature.

I admit I tried to read A Good Man is Hard to Find years ago, and was so disturbed by it, I wasn't able to finish the book.    I suppose I'm more adventurous now, and interested in her as a writer.

Thanks!

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

It is an excellent book, one of the best out there on the topic of Catholic fiction writing.   

Her short stories are a bit difficult.   On the other hand, her essays and letters are quite accessible and may help you get a better understanding of what she is doing in her fiction.    

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Thank you, Willa. That's what I needed to know. I'm going to go ahead and order it.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

One of our local priests has quoted her in one of his talks. If you don't mind my asking, what disturbed you about the book you started? I haven't read any of them yet, but they are on my "to read" list, and time is a factor, so any info would be great. I think I'll note the one Willa has recommended, first, and go from there.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Hi Stacy. I started reading the collection of short stories because it was recommended by a religious person, too. O'Connor was a southerner like me, so I was also interested in her writing from that perspective.

The first story in the book I mentioned was absolutely terrifying to me. She really made evil real- which, I suppose, was part of her strength as a writer. At the time I read it, I was at a stage in my life where I was feeling very vulnerable. However, I knew I was missing something. I think I would have benefitted from having a commentary explaining her purpose in writing a story like that- in short, I do think I should have started with Mystery and Manners .

I am unusually sensitive by nature, so what terrified me may not be as upsetting for someone else.

Because I know she was Catholic, and so many other Catholic writers respect her, I want to give her writing another chance.

I hope that helps you. I'd tell you more about that particular story, but to tell you the truth, I have tried very hard to forget it over the years, and actually gave my book away. Maybe someone else can chime in with more details.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here are some of the past discussions on Flannery O'Connor:
Flannery O'Connor ?
Washington Post / Flannery O'Connor

I think Jenn said it well in one of those threads "Her writings are meant to shock you, make you think, but it's hard reading."

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Just ordered my copy from the library! Can’t wait to talk about it!
As far as her writing...I would encourage everyone to try reading FOC’s writing, but I find reading about her as fascinating as her actual writing, and any reading I do of her actual work is definitely accentuated by reading about Flannery. She is one of my new favs!

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

For years I only read her stories during Lent, they were so painful to me! On the other hand, I often read her essays and letters.   They are wonderful; she is a kindred spirit. I have parts of these memorized!

Keep in mind that I'm a more sensitive reader, however -- my oldest son, when in his last year of high school, really enjoyed her fiction. He "got" her intentions better than I did.. and saw the humor and compassion behind the grotesque parts.   For some reason that kind of perception took me about four decades to learn I understand FoC's intent better now, and in fact was just talking about this issue with my daughter, who read a couple of her stories and was shocked -- her literary sensibilities are more like mine.      Just saying that it may take some time, but it is worth it.     

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version