Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Drinking Emergen-C while pregnant Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Opinions about this?

I've read some mixed messages about drinking Emergen-C while pregnant. Some express concern about the high doses of Vitamin C causing birth defects, others disregard the notion of birth defects but rather talk about miscarriage (in early pregnancy). And then others discuss the other vitamins within Emergenc-C coupled with a prenatal vitamin just being "too much".

I have yet to see an actual "real" advice regarding Emergen-C while pregnant.

I don't drink it regularly (either pregnant or not), but I do know that it is incredibly effective (for me) for warding off colds and the like if I begin drinking it the moment I feel a twinge of the yuckies coming on. ... I'm feeling that way now. I drank one this morning, and want to drink another one this afternoon, but am holding off because, frankly, I just don't know what to believe. I'm in my third trimester, so would think that it would be safe to drink (on occasion, when starting to feel sick, just as I described). But wondered if any of you had opinions about it.

On a different note, when I was laboring at home with my third baby I drank them every couple of hours before heading to the hospital because I knew that the hospital staff wouldn't let me. I honestly believe that drinking those Emergen-C's during labor is one the reasons that I maintained a feeling of well-being throughout, as well as helped with my incredibly fast recovery.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I use vitamin C for allergies when pregnant. The best information i've found has said no more than 4000mg/day of vitamin C. So remember to consider what's in your prenatals when you figure it. But I've taken that much vit C with all my pregnancies.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Chris V wrote:

On a different note, when I was laboring at home with my third baby I drank them every couple of hours before heading to the hospital because I knew that the hospital staff wouldn't let me. I honestly believe that drinking those Emergen-C's during labor is one the reasons that I maintained a feeling of well-being throughout, as well as helped with my incredibly fast recovery.

That's something every woman should know! Thanks for sharing that.

Chris, could you call your midwife/doula and ask her? Perhaps they might know.
And please do share your findings with us.

Praying for the three of you    

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

One of my closest friends is a child birth educator at a local hospital, and she recommends vit. C to her clients as a remedy for constipation, 1-2,000 gm. per day. I don't think a couple of packets of Emergen-C would be harmful at all. In fact, vitamin C is supposed to help support the amniotic sac.

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

I took 2 packets most days of my last pregnancy with no problems, I think I was up to 3 packets on bad allergy days.

I was told to drink them to help with Braxton Hicks by a doula a few pregnancies ago and she never mentioned it being dangerous to take too much, but that was in the 3rd trimester...

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Thank you so much gals, I feel quite reassured that what I am doing is perfectly permissable and without harm. ... and I am in my 3rd trimester, which does ease any trepidation on my part for the (supposed) unknown effects.

VanessaVH wrote:
I was told to drink them to help with Braxton Hicks by a doula a few pregnancies ago...

Just curious, Vanessa, is this because your doula was concerned that your Braxton Hicks were too intense for the gestational time of your pregnancy? Or perhaps your Braxton Hicks were being caused by (or there was a concern of) dehydration?

I am at 30 weeks (with twins) and my Braxton Hicks are very frequent and intense. Sometimes there is mild cramping associated with them, sometimes not. There is no pattern (that I can tell) with the Braxton Hicks and my activity level, which leads me to think that it is not within my ablility to slow or stop them. But honestly, it does make me a bit nervous when I get them so strongly.... it's much, much too soon for these little girls to arrive. And I know that preterm labor is a very real scenario when carrying twins.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You can take to much vitamin C.. the baby can become dependant on it and then after delivery react like there's a deficiency when the mega doses stop reaching him/her.

Chris, extra calcium/magnesium will help with the cramping.. they help the muscles (including the uterus) smoothly contract and relax. That's also why it's soooo helpful after delivery and eases afterpains like no pain meds can.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

JodieLyn wrote:
You can take to much vitamin C.. the baby can become dependant on it and then after delivery react like there's a deficiency when the mega doses stop reaching him/her.

Chris, extra calcium/magnesium will help with the cramping.. they help the muscles (including the uterus) smoothly contract and relax. That's also why it's soooo helpful after delivery and eases afterpains like no pain meds can.

I did not know about the vitamin C dependency, Jodie. Thank you for mentioning this. I don't drink it everyday, with the exception of circumstances (such as now) when I am actually sick ... a few days ago I felt as though I was getting sick, and now I am sick). The most I've taken is 2 packages a day. But this is the third day in a row. You mentioned 4,000 mg/day, I wonder if there is issue with me drinking it for several days in a row?

I know the Emergen-C is why I had such a wonderful recovery. Even the nursing staff made several comments about how well I was doing for just giving birth. I was up and about without discomfort almost immediately with minimal post pardum contractions/cramping while nursing.

Again, thanks all, for the input. I appreciate it.

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

Chris V wrote:

Just curious, Vanessa, is this because your doula was concerned that your Braxton Hicks were too intense for the gestational time of your pregnancy? Or perhaps your Braxton Hicks were being caused by (or there was a concern of) dehydration?

It was only a bit too early (like 37 weeks or so...) but it was HOT so she was pretty sure they were caused by dehydration, therefor uncomfortable for no reason (part of me wonders if I had actually stayed dehydrated maybe I would have gone into real labor and not had another C/S, but I doubt it works that way!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version