Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: wall maps? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:46am | IP Logged Quote Diane

What is your favorite online source for wall maps? Who makes the best? I need to replace our world map, and I'm hoping to buy a few individual continent ones too.

Thanks!

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 18 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We love our National Geographic wall map, it's been in our dining room for 2 years now and covers the whole wall almost. I think I bought it for $100, and it's worth every single penny.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2006 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I think we got ours at Barnes & Noble, but I can't find it on their webiste; I will say that our map is laminated and it makes all the difference in the world with how (and how much) we use it!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

For years I've been admiring my Mom's gorgeous wall map. It is stunning. I think she got it from mapquest (it says Mapquest on it) but I will find out for sure. We have a national geographic one that we mounted on foam board to make the tacks stick in better. Got it at Barnes and Noble.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 18 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I have the NG big one wallpapering one hallway. it looks great, and when you open the closet door across from it, the light shines on the world!

To cover the rest of the wall, I used old NG magazine maps, torn and decoupaged. It looks very cool, and it was a quick and easy project.

I had to really reduce this photo to make it fit, but I hope you can get the idea.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I second the laminated NG wall maps. I was able to wipe off mud and mold from them after the hurricane and after a bleach dip they are as good as new!!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I definitely agree with laminated maps. I purchased mine at B&N a couple of weeks ago, and used the teacher discount--they ended up being very reasonable.
We have very limited wall space in our new home, and no dedicated schoolroom , so we ended up mounting both maps on a piece of particleboard, placing 2 grommets through the maps and board, and hanging them on two hooks hung in our dining room. This way we can flip the map over as needed. I would much prefer to have both maps available at all times,but we just don't have the space. This was a good solution.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote mary

another vote for the laminated wall map. we hung ours in the laundry room - so we walk past it every time we come into the house from the garage. it's out of the way and yet easily accessable.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 19 2006 at 2:10am | IP Logged Quote Diane

Thanks for all of the advice. I was planning to get the NG ones and was just wondering if anyone had found anything better. Theresa, please let me know if you find out about your mom's---the only Mapquest I know gives me directions online.

MacBeth, I love the decoupage---very cool---but I think my Belgian landlord would not be too happy.       Maybe someday I'll have a real house...

I am seriously considering getting the enlarged size (73X49) for my dining room. (The mural is just too big. Sigh.) I have a big blank wall begging for it every time we sit down at the table. My dh thinks it might look a bit strange, and he's doesn't usually care about the decor of our home. We've got one long room that serves as both living room and dining room, with only a funky, black metal fireplace separating the two. They are the only two rooms in the house that are uncluttered and tastefully decorated. A huge wall map might look a little out of place, but I can see it getting a lot of use there. I really don't want to announce to all guests that homeschoolers with lots of kids have no taste---we have enough of a reputation around here.   

Hmmm, maybe the color would make a difference. I really like the brightly-colored one (is this what you have, MacBeth?), which looks more rich than bright, but maybe the antique tones would blend better and look a bit more classy in a dining room. Theresa and Noreen, how do yours look in the dining rooms?

Thanks again! Happy trekking on your maps.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Diane wrote:
Hmmm, maybe the color would make a difference. I really like the brightly-colored one (is this what you have, MacBeth

I do have the brightly colored one, since
the rest of the house is fairly drab (changing soon!).

I hope it works out! Too bad you can't do the decoupage...wasn't it invented in Belgium ?

"Mais, Msr. Le Landlord...n'est-pas une technique Belge?"

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Here is a great online resource for maps. Maps.com
They have a wide variety of styles and sizes. They don't have the exact one my mom has, but it looks alot like this one
She has it framed in black wood and it looks really classy up on the wall. Not gaudy or tacky at all.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

For those of you who have the NG mural map, do you wallpaper-glue it to your wall? I'd like to somehow adhere images of our piture books about life in different lands to a wall map (FIAR style) and was wondering how you'd get a mural map to stay put without glue?

Also, our map will be in a hallway adjacent to our schoolroom, and I'm worried about hallway wear and tear on a mural map that isn't laminated. Is there any way to laminate it without cutting it apart, laminating and reassembling the mural?

Thanks for the great map suggestions, everyone. I've been looking around for one for a while and never could find just the right "fit " for us!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I may have located the mapquest map that Theresa's mom has??? It shows it in a black frame, but I can't tell if it comes that way or not. I may have to buy this one myself!    Is this it???

mapquest map to buy

You can see it here too:
Interarts Mapquest wall map

And there's a set of both world AND U.S by same company:
Wall map set

You can see many wall maps at www.maps.com (where I found the last two sites with the Mapquest/Interarts maps, or www.allposters.com has some nice, inexpensive ones as well.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version