Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Blender Options Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 12 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We have a nice KitchenAid 3-speed blender that my husband bought for making smoothies while still a bachelor (not sure, but I know it is at least 10 years old, maybe older). I use my blender almost every day to make smoothies and blend soups. I have a food processor, too, but I find the blender much more convenient to use for these things.

It has been a great appliance.

A few years ago, we replaced the little black coupling. It only costs $10 shipped.

Then, a couple of months ago, I replaced the jar base which had cracked. It is around $12 plus shipping.

And shortly thereafter, I chipped and cracked the jar at the spout. It has been okay, but you have to hold it funny to pour straight, and it feels like it is only a matter of time before the 1 inch crack grows.

TODAY, I burned out another coupling. It had been limping along for a while, but it is gone today.

Now, I could get another coupling and go back to what I've had for the past couple of months for $10. The jar apparently costs $15-20, but it is out of stock everywhere, which leads me to believe they've stopped making it for this particular model

Do I spend $25-30 to replace the coupling and hopefully the jar?

OR

Do I buy a new blender?

In which case, I would really like a Vitamix. When do they usually go on sale?

Or, I could get another KitchenAid which is much cheaper and seems to have done well for us. I must admit, I'm a little infatuated with the one in Martha Stewart blue.         

What can you do in your Vitamix that I can't do in my KitchenAid?

Should I avoid putting anymore money in a 10 year old blender whose motor *could* potentially go at anytime (though, it seems fine).

Or, is it worth $10 to use a chipped and cracked pitcher to get me through until I find a killer deal on a vitamix, but then snatch it up?

Or do I just put the $10 towards my Bonnie Blue Blender crush?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

I am partial to KitchenAid. I've had mine for 14 years now and it's still working great (it is a 5 speed model). The only problem that I have had is the occasional intermitent stalling while on the "mix" mode .. the stir, chop, puree, and liquify modes don't seem to have this same issue (and it just started a couple of weeks ago). I'm sure it's something that can be fixed, but if not, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy another KitchenAid.

The Vitamix blenders are so terribly expensive and it makes me wonder ... are they really worth the expense?... especially because my KitchenAid has served me well for so many years and I can't imagine the need for more than those 5 speeds.

Bottom line, it gets the job done.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm leaning towards KitchenAid for that reason, Chris. I've been so happy with it, I'm not sure I need 4x the blender.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

LOL--I'm bad. I don't use an actual blender that often (although we do have two immersion blenders which get far more use)...but I did finally buy myself a replacement for the one we got as a wedding present 16+ years ago (the carafe was plastic and broke/got tossed years ago, but we kept the base and the little mini-carafe thingee for grinding coffee in)...

I found one on Amazon I liked, but since it was way more than I could afford, I looked at thrift stores and estate sales. Found an old Osterizer this last week with the glass carafe, with two of those little mini-blending containers (plastic unfortunately) for $1.50.

So that'd be my choice. Shop the thrift stores, get one there to tide you over til you can afford the new Vitamix (I'm not saving for a Vitamix, I'm just cheap).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

i mostly bought my VitaMix so i can make more nutritious smoothies that are "undetectable" to the kids. when i would make smoothies with carrots, etc. in my old blender the kids thought it was too rough and just wouldn't drink it. they now don't care what i put in the smoothies as long as it "tastes good". the texture achievable only with VitaMix was key for us.

i also wanted to make nut butters -- it still isn't as smooth as storebought butters but definitely a lot smoother than what i could do with a food processor and my old blender.

for the record, my old blenders were an Osterizer and an Electrolux attachmnent, so it could be that the KitchenAid is comparable to the VitaMix in performance, i just wouldn't know personally. i got mine at Costco during one of their promos (usually around Christmas and Mother's Day), so a lot cheaper than online.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

oh, but if we were to talk COLOR, i'd definitely go for those aqua ones!!! esp the KitchenAid mixer!   (i killed two of those before i finally sprung for the DLX, but i miss those curves and those colors.)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version