Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: books -7th/8th dd - has good role models Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 03 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

OK - this is my latest thought - compile a list of books for my dd to read (this year and coming years too). A list of books (fiction, non fiction, bios., historical fiction. . . ) with strong, yet feminine females. I wouldn't call my dd a tom boy, but she is not a nail painting, giggly, into fashion type either. A friend and I were talking on how we know a few upper teens and lower 20 year old girls who drop out of college or are making very poor choices. This got me thinking of what good books to get our 7th and 8th grade girls reading - that have good female role models. I am searching, and thought I would ask here!
Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

This is my list for my dd (7th grade) for this semester:
Anne of Green Gables
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Tom Sawyer
Little Women

Nothing surprising about this list...but it's what I've got so far...

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2011 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Barb

When my dd was that age I kept a list of her reads, looking back over I'm finding some heroines.

Love the Abbey Girl books (english) by Elsie J Oxenham, I loved them when I was younger (and now )
LM Montgomery has other heroines besides Anne.
Norah of Billabong by Mary Grant Bruce (Aust books)
Pollyanna
Louisa May Alcott's books have various heroines,
The Girl of the Limberlost-Gene Stratton Porter
Becky Landers by Constance Lindsey Skinner (Bethlehem book)
Casilda of the Rising Moon by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

Here's how I worded it on another homeschool board:

I am looking to create a list of books that have a woman character that is a "strong" women character, with good character, christian, feminine yet strong in some way - does that make sense? Truly there is probably lots out there, I just can't find many. . . am brain dead I guess. I know little Women is out there, but I may be the only one that just couldn't get through it?. I would like to show dd through books that women can be maternal, feminine, have a positive influence on others, take care of themselves and yet be nice. Seems in movies and our culture women and girls are portrayed as either mean, bi*&*y, air headed, s*x objects or victims. I would love to read and discuss the opposite of all that! HELP.

Barb
Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Definitely the Betsy-Tacy books. Betsy loves to write and her family encourages her to develop her gift. Her family is loving and strong. They go to church (Baptist and Episcopalian) each week. Betsy and her best friend support each other all the way through high school and into adulthood. Betsy makes mistakes along the way but always keeps her goals in mind.

My only caution is that there is an episode in one of the high school books where Betsy and her friends play with a Ouija board. But, in a multi-volume series, one complaint isn't too terrible.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version