Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: I Spy Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I've been pondering this for the last few days. My little boys have just been on a binge all summer. I noticed that they just love to find those little details on the page. My six year old is convinced he wants to write these books as a job. He also has made several attempts at creating 3D I Spy with his blocks and toys.

What do you think CM would say about I Spy Books? Do you think it's good for developing observational skills? Or do they fall into to quick flash media or twaddle? (although I know it always sits on the page) How does the mind of a child process these books? Anyone use them intentionally in schooling? Just very curious my girls never really took such an interest in them like their brothers.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, we LOVE them here! All of my kids and now my grandkids have loved them. We have half a dozen or so and are always on the lookout at used book sales for more.

They are great for encouraging early readers, but I tend to think of them more like puzzles or games than actual books. Great for quiet time alone or together, good for exercising attention to detail and observational skills.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

lapazfarm wrote:
I tend to think of them more like puzzles or games than actual books. Great for quiet time alone or together, good for exercising attention to detail and observational skills.

Same here...and yes, my boys are way more into them than my girl.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

lapazfarm wrote:
They are great for encouraging early readers, but I tend to think of them more like puzzles or games than actual books. Great for quiet time alone or together, good for exercising attention to detail and observational skills.

Yes, that's what my six year old has picked up to try to read over the summer! I like how you think of them too; puzzles & games. I just ordered the I Spy A to Z because I thought it could serve as a game for letter recognition for my 4 & 3 yr old boys.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I love them! My mom and sister and I actually went through them all together years ago, and were disappointed when we realized that we'd finally found everything in every book they'd published and our fun had come to an end! I need to look and see if they have any new ones since then. I agree, I'd classify them as a puzzle or game. I remember doing the Where's Waldo books when I was younger, too!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This brings up an interesting point... one that I've often thought about: If you really love a book; if it speaks to you and brings you great happiness- could that book ever be considered twaddle?

Even if it's not great literature, the chances are that you love it because it means something to you... it is alive for you. To me. a book like that is worth way more than other books that don't speak to you in the same way,

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

SeaStar wrote:
This brings up an interesting point... one that I've often thought about: If you really love a book; if it speaks to you and brings you great happiness- could that book ever be considered twaddle?

Even if it's not great literature, the chances are that you love it because it means something to you... it is alive for you. To me. a book like that is worth way more than other books that don't speak to you in the same way,

I've been thinking the same thing about several of our family favorites. Specifically this morning I was reading Bee Bim Bop to our daughter, who was adopted from Korea. My MIL is Korean, my daughter is Korean, we all love Korean food, and this book is just a treasure for us - twaddle or not.

About the I Spy books, I never liked them at all.      I don't know why, they just never, ever appealed ot me.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

SeaStar wrote:

Exactly! For example, I could make a case for "Hank the Cowdog" being a living book for our family because...Hank makes us laugh. Hank is so real to us! Plus, we have an autographed copy via our distant relatives who are neighbors of the author. And, we saw the author live in Elko NV at a big Cowboy Poetry event. There is no singular book that is so uniquely living to us! (Funny, left to my own devices, as a young mom I wouldn't have chosen this book for such a place in our hearts...but I was wrong .)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Nothing to add except to say to Angie that we LOVE Hank the Cowdog, too! We listened to an audio version years ago on a trip through California. I think mom and dad enjoyed it best. :) Have to get that one again from the library. Sorry to digress....

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

Good to hear this post. I always groan within myself with my boy wants me to help him with an I spy becasue it seems like an ETERNITY. Good to know that it is time well spent!
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version