Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What's for Lunch? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote all for God

Hi,
I'm looking for some recipes and ideas for quick, easy, healthy, lunches.
Lunch during the school year normally ends up being something like peanut butter sandwiches or grilled cheese, but I'm looking for new easy ideas.

So what do you do for lunch during those busy school days?

Thanks for any help and ideas!
Gos bless.
~Jennifer

all=
Catholic Inspired ~Arts, crafts & more
Back to Top View all for God's Profile Search for other posts by all for God Visit all for God's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

bean burritos
Pizza (homemade)
cheese and crackers
soup

fruit or raw veggies with any of the above

and then I keep a list of the things we like for lunches so that I don't stand in the kitchen thinking "now what should we have for lunch" if I'm stuck I can look at my list.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Pizza bagels (works also with an English muffin)

We do a lot of cheese and crackers with apple slices or other fruit.

Sometimes butter bread with cheese slices and a handful of almonds or peanuts on the side, served with fruit.

Hard boiled eggs, homemade muffins, salami and cheese roll-ups, smoothies (quick and easy way to get in your fruits and veggies).

Graham crackers spread with peanut butter (sometimes I'll put a few chocolate chips on top for decoration).

Often I will just fix plates with whatever is around: a few olives, a few baby carrots, a few nuts, cherry tomatoes, cheese (I keep several different types on hand for variety)... my dc seem to like these simple meals the best.

All summer long we eat watermelon: cut melon in half and then use a regular ice cream scooper to scoop out servings. So easy- plus my kids like to be the scoopers.

Nachos are fairly easy to whip up in a hurry- you can put a big tray full in the oven and serve with salsa.

Carrot sticks with peanut butter in a cup for dipping. Or use the baby carrots- Sams and Costco have 5 lb bags of organic baby carrots that are fairly low cost.

Hot dog buns can be filled with many things besides hot dogs: any leftover meat can be chopped up, and then you can have a "chicken dog" or a "taco meat dog", etc. My dc think that is fun.

Dang, now I'm hungry

ETA: my dc will eat whole wheat crackers and hot dog buns, etc.... so that is a huge help for me as far as trying to keep the meals simple and still be healthy

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote all for God

JodieLyn wrote:

bean burritos
Pizza (homemade)
cheese and crackers
soup

fruit or raw veggies with any of the above

and then I keep a list of the things we like for lunches so that I don't stand in the kitchen thinking "now what should we have for lunch" if I'm stuck I can look at my list.

Thanks Jodie
I'm wondering...What is a bean burrito?

BTW: I keep a list of meals for supper, just never had enough ideas to make a list for lunch!
Thanks again!
~Jennifer

all=
Back to Top View all for God's Profile Search for other posts by all for God Visit all for God's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

bean burritos are tortillas heated up filled with refried beans and some cheese.. optional - salsa, sour cream, lettuce, onions, tomatoes.. I tend to do more extras when makign them for dinner and pretty basic for lunch.

I keep these pretty cheap by cooking my own pinto beans until soft and freezing them.. then I can put them in a skillet and mashed them up while reheating for refried beans.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote all for God

SeaStar wrote:

Dang, now I'm hungry

So am I, but I think it's because it's lunch time here right now!

SeaStar wrote:

... my dc seem to like these simple meals the best.

I've often made the "handful of this and that" lunches but my kids are forever complaining about being hungry!!! I just keep wondering if I give them enough or are they just munchers......
My kids aren't over weight or extraordinarily thin.
But they are energetic, like most kids.

My 8 year old son and 7 year old daughter (for example) would eat more then 3 whole sandwiches (6 pieces of bread) if I let them. Plus, cracker, cheese cubes, carrots, and nuts.
Is that a lot for 7 and 8 year old kids?

Thanks!
~Jennifer

all=

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote all for God

JodieLyn wrote:
bean burritos are tortillas heated up filled with refried beans and some cheese.. optional - salsa, sour cream, lettuce, onions, tomatoes.. I tend to do more extras when makign them for dinner and pretty basic for lunch.

I keep these pretty cheap by cooking my own pinto beans until soft and freezing them.. then I can put them in a skillet and mashed them up while reheating for refried beans.

Oh, neat!! I 'll give that a try!
I also like the freezing idea!

Thanks so much!
God Bless.
~Jennifer

all=

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jennifer it sounds like it might be a lot but there are many variation.. how much filling and what type is on the sandwiches, what type and size of bread, are they about to hit a growth spurt, things like that.

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

One way to curb munchies is to make sure they are getting enough protein, especially at breakfast. I just made scrambled eggs for lunch and served with salsa and corn chips.

Another quick lunch, especially this time of year, is to slice zucchini lengthwise and put olive oil and pizza toppings. Very yummy.

My kids do ask for things to eat, often when they are bored. If they are still hungry while sitting at the table, I might offer something healthy (which, if refused, means they aren't that hungry, yk?) like raw carrots. Otherwise, I have designated snack times 10:30 and 3:30. Any requests for food before then gets pushed off.

For years, I didn't have a set "snack." But, I can't be a short order cook, and I think it is a bad habit to ask to munch all day. If I saw evidence of some sort of disorder like hypoglycemia, I might adjust. But for now, I'm convinced my children *enjoy* eating. AND I think it is important that they know it is not always bad to feel hungry, yk? Just because you are hungry or thirsty doesn't mean you must have food or drink *right now.* They learn quickly to take advantage of food when offered!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

all for God wrote:

Is that a lot for 7 and 8 year old kids?

Thanks!
~Jennifer

My ped just told me at the last check up that 8 is usually about the time children start to bulk up and parents start complaining about having to feed them So, if it seems like they are starting to eat more, it might just be that they are!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Quote:
Just because you are hungry or thirsty doesn't mean you must have food or drink *right now.*

When you are thirsty you're already dehydrated. I would agree with you except for getting them water. Now if you're thirsty for milk or juice or soda or something and refuse water.. obviously it can wait. But truly thirsty is something that should be taken care of as soon as reasonably possible. Especially in the heat.

-Sir Walter Scott

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I'm terrible at lunch! PB&Js have been our rule, though I've been trying not to buy store bread, yet get behind on making bread . . . a pattern which is not making me everyone's Most Popular Mom around noontime these days.

I do a lot of quick homemade pizza, though. I keep sourdough starter going on the back of the stove, and mix some of that with whole wheat flour and olive oil, let rise briefly (not long enough to be really totally crunchily sourdough-healthy, but oh, well), spread it on a big pizza pan, and bake. Then I add cheese and whatever else we want: sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever's at hand, and bake till it's all melted and soft. This is especially a good Friday lunch, when we're being meatless.

Otherwise, I trot out leftovers a lot.

Sally

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

We do homemade pizzas here, too, and lots of leftovers.

Other favorites:
-pasta baked with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce, sometimes with leftover veggies added
-cubed ham mixed with pasta, cheese, and vegetables
-baked potatoes with homemade chili on top
-homemade calzone (we're currently on this kick!)
-homemade chicken nuggets with salad
-frittatas

We tend to eat a very hearty lunch, and will sometimes just do a big salad with a protein in it for dinner. My kids are older, and we tend to be running around close to dinnertime... I have more predictable time for involved meal prep at lunch.

HTH!
-Juliana
Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote all for God

What's in the sandwiches:
Their sandwiches normally consist of a 1/4' to 1/2' spread of PB. Sometimes they put cheese on it too! The bread is normal size store-bought bread.

Snack and meals:
We have set snack times (10 AM and 3 PM) and meal times. The times are very strict. They are offered carrots and nuts at those times if they are still complaining of hunger. To their dismay, I do not give food between meals and snacks.

Drinks:
We only drink milk and water except on rare occasion they get ice tea, and VERY rare occasion soda.

As for breakfast:
We eat homemade oatmeal bars. (2 1/2' by 4' in size) I personally think those are filling! The kids will occasionally eat a hard boiled egg, too.

If they are about to have a growth spurt, they've been working on it for a few years!!!
Maybe they are just bored.

Thanks for all your help!
~Jennifer

all=

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SallyT wrote:
I'm terrible at lunch! PB&Js have been our rule, though I've been trying not to buy store bread, yet get behind on making bread . . . a pattern which is not making me everyone's Most Popular Mom around noontime these days.

I do a lot of quick homemade pizza, though. I keep sourdough starter going on the back of the stove, and mix some of that with whole wheat flour and olive oil, let rise briefly (not long enough to be really totally crunchily sourdough-healthy, but oh, well), spread it on a big pizza pan, and bake. Then I add cheese and whatever else we want: sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever's at hand, and bake till it's all melted and soft. This is especially a good Friday lunch, when we're being meatless.

Otherwise, I trot out leftovers a lot.

Sally

Sally, have you tried the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day method? We're not eating a lot of bread these days, but I thought it was the easiest way I've tried to make "healthy, long-soaked" sour dough bread.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oatmeal bars are wonderful.. but they're not generally high protein.. and higher protein especially at your first meal can make a difference in the amount you eat all day long.

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

all for God wrote:
What's in the sandwiches:
Their sandwiches normally consist of a 1/4' to 1/2' spread of PB. Sometimes they put cheese on it too! The bread is normal size store-bought bread.

Snack and meals:
We have set snack times (10 AM and 3 PM) and meal times. The times are very strict. They are offered carrots and nuts at those times if they are still complaining of hunger. To their dismay, I do not give food between meals and snacks.

Drinks:
We only drink milk and water except on rare occasion they get ice tea, and VERY rare occasion soda.

As for breakfast:
We eat homemade oatmeal bars. (2 1/2' by 4' in size) I personally think those are filling! The kids will occasionally eat a hard boiled egg, too.

If they are about to have a growth spurt, they've been working on it for a few years!!!
Maybe they are just bored.

Thanks for all your help!
~Jennifer

I agree that oatmeal bars can be filling, but I find there to be a lot of compelling evidence for making sure you eat a lot of protein with your first meal to control hunger cravings throughout the day. The traditional English meal time saying is that one should "breakfast like a king, lunch like a lord, and dine like a pauper." Just a thought since you say they are complaining. Sometimes hunger cravings are triggered by physiological factors unrelated to whether what we ate previously was "filling" at the time. If they are truly hungry, it could be a sign that an adjustment should be made. If they are just bored and want to eat, it could be a sign that they are 7 and 8 years old

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oops, cross-posted with jodie

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote all for God

JodieLyn wrote:
oatmeal bars are wonderful.. but they're not generally high protein.. and higher protein especially at your first meal can make a difference in the amount you eat all day long.

Our oatmeal bar recipe calls for 4 eggs I thought that would be enough. It worked well when we first switched from regular cereal, but it doesn't seem to be working as well for the kids now.
I'll see what I can do to make the start of the day more protein intensive.

Thanks!
~Jennifer

all=

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Trying to think of some things.. for instance cold cereal being even worse than oatmeal.. I could eat and be truly FULL eating cereal with milk.. and still be hungry well before lunch. Sooner if I'm doing really active things. It doesn't mean that at the time I didn't have enough to eat. But that my body needed more than was included in that breakfast.

-Sir Walter Scott

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version