Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Hard-floor vacuum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Our new house has LOTS of hard floors (mostly a mix of wood laminate and marble tile), so I'm looking to get an upright hard-floor vacuum. I would also like one that I could mop the floors with. Anyone have one that they recommend?

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I am looking for a similar vacuum for hardwood floors. Our microfiber broom does not do a good enough job!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

After killing several cheap vacuums in a row, (eta: that is, *we* killed them, collectively) my husband went to consult the guy at the little Electrolux dealership in our town. What he says about hard floors (we have 1920s hardwood) is that you don't want an upright vac, because the beater bar, which is designed to separate carpet fibers and rake up the dirt from them, is very hard on wood floors. Don't know if it matters so much on laminate or tile, but definitely the beater bar would trash a wood floor over time.

Bummer for me, because I hate canister vacuum cleaners. But what we have wound up with I like: a reconditioned Electrolux canister vac with a couple of different soft brush attachments which are much easier on the floors even than the main attachment for our last Dirt Devil model -- I'm not a wood-floor worshipper, and ours have taken a beating from kids and a big dog, but the thought that I'm *scraping* the floor with every stroke of the vacuum was kind of setting my teeth on edge. The Electrolux is very kind. It does have a beater-bar attachment for area rugs, plus an upholstery attachment which the guy said to use on our stripped mattresses once a month to get rid of dust mites. The whole vacuum is much, much easier to carry and use than any of our previous ones have been.

Electroluxes are expensive, but we got this one -- it had been the model they lent out to customers while their vacuums were in the shop -- for about $450. Still not cheap, but when you consider that we managed to burn up a $75 Dirt Devil in less than six months (and we weren't abusing it in any way; in fact, we were babying it along), it suddenly doesn't seem that expensive.

So that's what we have and are very happy with, after having been really, really unhappy with cheap vacuums. And our floors seem really happy, too.

Sally

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I was thinking of getting the Dyson that I saw advertised on TV. I have a Rainbow that I love for carpet, but I agree about the beaters on hardwood. Laminate is awesome. You can vacuum it with anything!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

All brooms are not created equal either. You might just need to try out several brooms to find a good one. I found one at a more hardware type of store than a walmart type of store. It's synthetic bristles are somewhat on the short side.. it's dense and angled.. soft but not too soft (too soft and it won't brush well and too hard and it won't get the dust well).

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I totally hear what Sally says about not using an upright on hard floors. BUT my Oreck upright has a setting that stops the beater bar from beating. You can use that on hard floors since what you are left with is just suction. Maybe other brands of uprights have this same feature.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, yeah, I've dreamed for years about an Oreck! I do love uprights . . . (but now I'm married to an Electrolux).

I also use a Swiffer with a chamois cloth pinned around it for dust mopping. It does a terrific job of picking up dust, dog hair, and wool-rug "shed" that tend to blow up overnight. I especially like it for giving the stairs a once-over when I'm too lazy to drag out the vacuum cleaner.

Sally

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Okay I need to retract part of what I said about my Oreck upright. I was just vacuuming and noticed that the bar was spinning on both the carpet and the hard floor setting. What?! I called the Oreck store and here's what I learned: This spinning bar is not a beater bar! "Most manufacturers stopped using beater bars a few years ago." Hmm.... What it is is spinning brushes that spin much faster on the carpet setting in order to attack the dirt in the carpet more ferociously. The hard floor setting has the brushes spinning somewhat slower and doesn't dull the shine on hardwood or ceramic surfaces. So, I guess I forgot a lot of things that the salesman told me when I bought the thing.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Hm, maybe my Electrolux dude is behind the times! We are a small town here, and things move slowly . . .

Sally

Spawnsmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote Spawnsmom

I have a large kitchen and adjoining eating area. Recently I purchased a Shark Cordless Stick Vac and I love it. It has two rechargeable battery packs, is lightweight and can be converted into a hand held vac. Plus, when I empty the canister, boy am I amazed at the dirt that I didn't see!!!!
Back to Top View Spawnsmom's Profile Search for other posts by Spawnsmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version