Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What to do with all our shoes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Including the one year old and his tiny feet, there are ten of us with multiple pairs of shoes.

We primarily come into the house through a very small laundry closet from the garage. In the laundry, I have just enough room to put those cubby storage cubes between the washer and dryer, which are stacked, and the extra fridge. On top of the six cubes, is one of those shoe shelves with smaller shoe "slips", kwim?

The oldest 6 children each have been assigned a whole cube, then the baby has his shoes in the diaper bag, the 3yrold has hers in a small basket next to a larger wicker basket of yet more shoes, for dh, myself and the teen boy's really big shoes. These two baskets are right outside the door of the laundry room which is unfortunately the main route to the kitchen.

Okay, so if you have stuck with me this long, maybe you can envision the sea of shoes that we are stepping over all.the.time. No one seems to get their shoes into the cube, I don't know why. They throw them into that wicker basket and of course it overflows.

So...how do you guys manage the daily shoes? Keeping them in the garage won't work because they mostly are going out the backdoor and I can barely get them to walk through the kitchen to put them as far as a the basket, I'll never get them to then go through the laundry and open yet another door. We are really lazy here

I can't believe how long this post is, just about shoes!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

umm Good Luck

I find it easiest to just have one big tote for shoes and assign a little to picking up shoes and get them all back in the tote when we're picking up. And periodically sort and send shoes back to bedroom closets and take out those not in current use etc.

Doesn't solve the problem.. but keeps it somewhat under control.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We are in the same boat! (And we all have, ahem, large feet!) Our shoes take up an amazing amount of space. No one wants to sort them or move them. I sure hope other members have some good suggestions!

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Yep, someone is in charge of shoe pick-up each afternoon for chores.

We have two wicker baskets now, but they are pretty shallow, so the shoes rather spill out. I thinking of getting some deeper baskets and lining the wall with them. I try to weed out all but two pairs per person at the end of the week and send the rest to the closets.

The toddler loves having all those shoes available to try on! It serves as a functional dress-up area.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Kacky...

We have shoes under control. It's the clothing that is all over the house. Some of it clean, like on the couch, some dirty on the bedroom floors - I hate it - must work on this!

Our system is really nothing special:

All flip flops or croc type shoes in a deep wire basket right outside the back door.

All tennis shoes in a bench/hook type piece of furniture right inside the back door which is inside our kitchen.

All other shoes go in the closets in the bedroom in those cloth hanging shoe holders.

I've assigned kids shoe duty which might mean dumping the outside wire basket and delivering non-flip flop shoes to the proper place/bedroom. Same with the bench. This is a great job for a four or five year old. :)

Good luck!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

We have this same problem. Right now we have two baskets near the door - one for boys' shoes, one for girls' shoes. They are both overflowing, though, and we don't have any space at our entryway.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay I'm glad I'm not alone in this shoe battle. Lately, the houses I've been in (I know I'm not suppose to compare, but really I was trying to secretly get some ideas ) I never saw any shoes, at all, anywhere!

Off to trip my way to the kitchen for breakfast!

OH and yes, the toddlers taking them to use as dressup drives me   

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

KackyK wrote:

OH and yes, the toddlers taking them to use as dressup drives me   

Oh, yes, yes, yes. As I type my 3YO is putting on yet ANOTHER pair of shoes. Whew. That's another pair I'll only be able to find one of later. LOL.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Shoes! I'm adding that like so many others have mentioned, this is a regular chore for our 6 yo on our family chore chart. This is a great job for a little person!!! Our 3 yo is *in training* to take over!

** Church shoes and everyday shoes are kept in specific places for each person (out of the way of puppies!!!) - 4x weekly, the shoe person must ensure that all inside shoes are in their place.

** Outside shoes - because we live rurally, each child has a pair of work-outside shoes. These are kept in a large laundry basket in the garage just outside the back door. Daily, the shoe person picks up shoes off the ground and tosses into the shoe basket.
     ** The shoe person's Saturday chore is to dump the shoe basket on the driveway, match shoes, wipe out shoe basket with wipes (regular baby wipes, not clorox), and return to shelf in garage. I check for extra or non-fitting shoes at this time.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

We, too, have shoe baskets for frequently worn shoes and shelf storage for dressy/church shoes. My 3yo has daily shoe duty which keeps the monster under control.

But....I see that giving the 3yo shoe duty almost ensures that no one (other than me) puts their shoes away.      So, in addition to 3yo shoe duty, I have added personal shoe pick-up to everyone's afternoon list and I try to be the shoe nagging mom. Some day they will have better shoe habits.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm not alone    I really like Erica's suggestions, that's actually how I store out of size shoes. (Yes I do pass down decent shoes, considering my children mostly only wear shoes on Church and town days they aren't worn much)

I also like the Jennifer's idea of an assigned shoe person, thinking that could be my 5yr old.

Mostly shoes are meant to go to bedrooms, I'm wondering racks. Kacy would you have room for racks in your small space? and then would they put shoes on racks?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

I used to have the kids put their shoes on top of their dressers- every single time they took them off. I had to remind them every single time we'd walk in the door, but it was worth it so we didn't lose any shoes and we always knew where they are. Dress shoes and out of season shoes go in their closet. I should really start making them put shoes on their dresser again- we lose and trip over far too many shoes

Suzette
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I used to have a shoe closet right by the front door. It was messy, but I could shut the door. I no longer have a shoe closet - it's disastrous. I've got to figure something out.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

martinas6
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote martinas6

Jen, the boxed corner quilting idea on your blog is awesome!

http://www.mamax9.blogspot.com
Back to Top View martinas6's Profile Search for other posts by martinas6 Visit martinas6's Homepage

martinas6
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote martinas6

as for the shoes, we live in a house that is nearly 100 yrs old so the basement is just a dungeon to me as far as living space,so we just decided to use it for lots of storage. My husband was kind enough to fill it with those large storage racks, under one of the racks(really under 3 of them that are lined up in a row) I placed milk crates for the shoes. They are labeled one for each child and placed in order of their birth to make it easier for the little ones to help. One little kid will throughout the day, throw the shoes to the basement and then I'll have another set of kids just go down there and put the right shoes in the right bins. It takes just a minute to be put away. We have a no shoes in the bedrooms rule, it makes it easier that way.

http://www.mamax9.blogspot.com
Back to Top View martinas6's Profile Search for other posts by martinas6 Visit martinas6's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We place them by the front and back doors- two pair max per kid and adult! Church shoes go on the ledge leading down to the basement (very old house so basement isn't a prime living space!). All the other shoes, tennis, running, soccer etc etc etc go into rubbermaid bins in the basement. Rubber boots are all lined up in the basement too!

For us it is the season changes that kill me! That's when we have the snow boots, rubber boots, and crocs and runners out all at the same time!

Oh, and we never have shoes in the bedroom- never even thought of it! Possible because we never wear shoes in the house (Canadian thing) and possibly because we only have one eensy weensy closet in our good sized old house- it is much too full for shoes

Good luck (I started the same thread a couple of years ago!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've been thinking about the fact that the majority are saying, no bedroom storage and mostly use the basement. Then I've just realised why! Nobody here has basements, and whilst you could stack on verandah's and sometimes do for farm boots, you are running a risk of spiders and snakes ending up in shoes. Always tip out shoes on verandah's before pulling on, snakes and spiders are deadly.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I just read something too that said don't bring shoes into the house because not only of the dirt, but because of contaminants (think fertilizers and so forth) that they may have stepped in and then it's all over.

This makes sense!

For, us as opposed to Erin's deadly snakes and spiders (can't compete really there ) the fear is crickets, crunchy crickets in the garage, and some spiders too.

I think, after reading all of these posts and ideas, I think this is just something we are stuck with and by no means alone in it. The key to any system with shoes is pure followup. I like the idea of assigning a shoe person too

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We have a shoe person, and the number of shoes is extremely limited (except for my dd the shoe monster)

Its summer, so a pair of sandals is all each child is allowed in the bucket by the door. The shoe person returns all other shoes to the bedrooms before dinner time.

Winter is so much harder-great big clunky boots! My 17 yos wears a size 14!!! And since we don't have to wear boots everyday, the gym shoes, hikers, and such all end up by the door.

Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Dana

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I have a one year old on search and dump missions. There are shoes all over the place!

We're currently using baskets but I think I will start limiting the number out if only for the sake of there being less to trip over!

Good ideas shared as always!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version