Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Help please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I ordered a book for history from an Amazon reseller and it arrived tonight. It smells horrible! I can't even be in the same room with it. How can I remove the smoke smell from it? It smells like cigarettes and cigars.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I can't believe the timing of your question! I just found out from Melinda (SeaStar) that you can put the book in a mixture of baking soda and clean cat litter and that's supposed to remove the smell. I hope it works for you. I'm so sorry!!   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

i think I've also heard that fresh air and sunlight are supposed to help..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah here.. thread with additional links on cleaning books

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2011 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote Erin

JodieLyn wrote:
i think I've also heard that fresh air and sunlight are supposed to help..

This is what I have done.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2011 at 4:58am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

I think I remember a similar thread last year..I think Jodie lynn has the link to the thread.
Leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2011 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MichelleW wrote:
I ordered a book for history from an Amazon reseller and it arrived tonight. It smells horrible! I can't even be in the same room with it. How can I remove the smoke smell from it? It smells like cigarettes and cigars.

Depending on how much you want the book, I'd go back to the original description. If the odor was not included in the description of item, I'd write to the seller, tell them you are dissatisfied, and tell them you will leave negative feedback. Put the ball in their court.

I've had this happen a few times. Usually the seller either refunds my money, so you can buy another book that doesn't have the stench.

I'm not a novice to buying used books, and I read descriptions very carefully. I don't want any with water damage or smoke or musty odor -- so if it isn't listed, they are omitting something huge.

As a matter of fact, I still have an extra (unusable) copy of "The Life I Live" by Lois Lenski sitting in an envelope. The musty smell was unbearable, and in this humidity it's not going to get better even in the fresh air.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Michelle, I had very good luck with a missal that arrived in similar condition last year. I put the book inside a tightly sealed plastic container, on top of tissue paper laid over a layer of Fresh Step Cat litter. I placed lavender scented softener sheets and vanilla scented votive candles around the book (beacuse that's what I had on hand), being careful not to touch the book itself, then left it for a day or so. It worked so well that I can no longer detect any lingering cigarete smell. The scent of lavendar and vanilla were tolerable until they too eventually dissipated. I am very sensitive to cigarette smells of any kind (they give me an instant migraine) and thought the missal would have to be returned. If you decide not to return the book, you might try any combination of remedies mentioned. I'm sorry you received the book you ordered in such condition. It seems appropriate to communicate with the seller. Good luck.    

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2011 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Thanks so much! I went to the old thread too, and it looks like I started that one as well. I must be getting old. I had no recollection of that conversation at all.

The sun still hasn't arrived here in Western Oregon, so leaving the book out in the sun isn't going to work. However, dh did a CostCo run last night so I have tons of kitty litter and baking soda and dryer sheets. I am going to give it a try since I really want to keep the book.

I am shy about confronting sellers.

Thanks so much!! I'll let you know how it goes.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 25 2011 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I recently had very good results with these two methods:

I had one book that smelled strongly of cigarettes
I placed it in a box with clean cat litter and baking soda, then placed the box in a plastic bag. The book was open to a random page and face down on the litter. It was out in the garage like that for weeks... at least 6, I would guess. I had read that it might take at least a month for the smell to go away.

I had another book that arrived with a very odd odor... maybe smoke? Just ick. I tried a different method for that: sprinkled baking soda randomly between the pages, then sealed it in a plastic bag and left it for several weeks. This also worked well, but it was a pain to shake out all the baking soda.

Anyway- success, and two saved books

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2011 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

I've had great luck with placing fabric softener sheets between several pages and sealing in a ziploc bag for 2-4 days.
Back to Top View ShannonJ's Profile Search for other posts by ShannonJ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version