Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Modern U.S. History Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

My dd is just finishing up with Foster's Lincoln's World. She has really enjoyed this. We just ordered Tappan's Queen Victoria as a rabbit trail. ... What next?

We both want to continue with US history and move into modern age (I thought I'd wait but she really wants to move forward along with the Ancients were starting next). What are some of your favorites for modern history? Is there anything out there that has the Genevieve Foster feel?

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 30 2011 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a suggestion, but I can only give it with the reservation that we haven't started reading it yet so I can't offer our review and take of the book yet. It does look good though. My 6th grader will begin reading it after the mid-point of our year. It does fit your request, and I think is probably close-ish to the feel of Foster.

This Country of Ours by H.E. Marshall

She wrote Our Island Story: A History of England, which you might be familiar with so that would give you an idea of her style of writing.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Thanks Jen, I've looked at this author before but honestly haven't read or own any of her work. I took a look at your suggestion. Dd would only need the last 60 some pages.

(sigh) I've been looking but most of what I find post late 1800's is in Encyclopedia style books. I might just have to put together books relating to the major events since WWI or go with SOTW volume 4.

Which BTW, anyone familiar with SOTW? and/or Used it?

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Erin over at bearing blog is currently doing a series of posts on the American History curriculum she put together and used with her children over the last year or so. I don't think she has published the modern U.S. section yet--she's currently at the Civil War. She has written about their modern history stuff before, though. For the 20th century, they did a topic-based rather than a sequential study, so I'm not sure it's quite what you're looking for. But it might be worth looking at her history posts.

Update: The full literature us history curriculum from Erin

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Grace&Chaos wrote:
Thanks Jen, I've looked at this author before but honestly haven't read or own any of her work. I took a look at your suggestion. Dd would only need the last 60 some pages.

(sigh) I've been looking but most of what I find post late 1800's is in Encyclopedia style books. I might just have to put together books relating to the major events since WWI or go with SOTW volume 4.

Which BTW, anyone familiar with SOTW? and/or Used it?

I'm planning to use the HE Marshall history with my 2nd/3rd grader over the next two years as per Mater Amabilis's 1st/2nd grade American history syllabus.

The nice thing about the HE Marshall is that it is free online, so, even if you only used the last 60 pages, you don't have to *pay* for the whole book.

It does seem that a lot of the great narrative histories were written 50 or more years ago.

One positive, though, is that in the modern age, it wasn't that long ago, so finding real living history like newsreels, speeches, modern biographies, and even papal encyclicals is easier and perhaps a little more accessible for a younger student than source documents for, say, the founding might be. I know it is more work for you than one really great book , but given our closeness to it, it might be that you could even break your modern history down into "segments" a bit easier: the world wars, the Cold War and space race, Korea and Vietnam, etc...

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2011 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

CrunchyMom wrote:
The nice thing about the HE Marshall is that it is free online, so, even if you only used the last 60 pages, you don't have to *pay* for the whole book.

I'm thinking about doing this and 60 some pages is alot nicer to print than 600 .

CrunchyMom wrote:
It does seem that a lot of the great narrative histories were written 50 or more years ago.

One positive, though, is that in the modern age, it wasn't that long ago, so finding real living history like newsreels, speeches, modern biographies, and even papal encyclicals is easier and perhaps a little more accessible for a younger student than source documents for, say, the founding might be. I know it is more work for you than one really great book , but given our closeness to it, it might be that you could even break your modern history down into "segments" a bit easier: the world wars, the Cold War and space race, Korea and Vietnam, etc...

So true...I've started a list to try to figure out what major topics we want to cover for the year and then which might be some good living books to go with them. This last century has so many deep thought provoking events so close to home that I always thought I'd wait for high school to cover and discuss. But we are intrigued to go forward and to have a second history going like MA and Ambleside recommend (I'm just going to try to keep this part light).

Grace in Loving Chaos

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

What about Joy Hakim's A History of US? (This link is for the 11 volume set, but you can purchase just the volumes you need)

I have not used them yet, but I've heard great things about them being very readable. These are often available at libraries so you can preview them easily.
They are not written from a Catholic perspective, but then again, neither is HE Marshall.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

lapazfarm wrote:
What about Joy Hakim's A History of US? (This link is for the 11 volume set, but you can purchase just the volumes you need)

I have not used them yet, but I've heard great things about them being very readable. These are often available at libraries so you can preview them easily.
They are not written from a Catholic perspective, but then again, neither is HE Marshall.

I just checked, and our library has a copy of the whole set. I've left a message for my MIL to borrow book 9 & 10 so I can preview it.   

Grace in Loving Chaos

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version