Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Notes about Raymond T. Fuller Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm moving a conversation from Trading Post about this science/naturalist author, Raymond T. Fuller.

I found this book in my mother's books and then proceeded to buy two copies for my own.

Nature Quests & Quizzes: A Nature Seeker's Handbook by Raymond T. Fuller

This isn't written as a living book, but contains short paragraphs of over a hundred quests in nature -- learning to use your eyes. Examples:
Spying on a heron colony--capturing and studying a glowword--identifying four kinds of mice--telling the age of a tree--learning how katydids talk--finding a meteor fragment fallen to earth...

Then there is a quiz in the back, things like "Is a firefly's light hot? Are silkworms native to the U.S.? can a fish smell? What does the word photosynthesis mean?"

Written in 1948, this author was a naturalist and author of many books. Book is harder to find.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Jenn, I found this at the our library used sale , great for when you go on a hike and want to give the kids something to do or look for.

I'm waiting to see if I run into any other titles by him.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have his "Walk, Look, and Listen" because when I find something I like of an author, I go an author binge. The one I haven't found reasonably priced is "Along the Brook" which looks good.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2011 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Can I just say I want to be at your booksales? Our area is so scoured of the older books...although today I did find two finds, hb collection of Father Brown by Chesterton and Arnosky Sketching book for cheap.

Anyone in Minnesota? Did you happen to see this public auction of library books?

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I have found some really great books. I gave my mother in law a list and even though she isn't familiar with the authors or why I would want them, she makes an effort.

My brother in law (19 yrs) just started working at the sister library to ours and I'm trying to get him to keep a list for me too. He mentioned how he was the work horse one day, when a lady brought over a Uhaul full of used books (many very old), probably well over 2000 books. He also mentioned how sometimes the older volunteers will keep many of these books and have side antique book businesses and making some good money (mind you the library sells the books for about 1.50-2.00 hc and .50 sc) .

I've tried to drop names, because one day he brought over a bag full of Goosebumps books (about 15) for my daughter(not exactly what I want her reading), so I really have to try to get over to the sales myself to recognize the treasures and avoid the twaddle.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
I've tried to drop names, because one day he brought over a bag full of Goosebumps books (about 15) for my daughter(not exactly what I want her reading), so I really have to try to get over to the sales myself to recognize the treasures and avoid the twaddle.

Oh my! The basic rules are usually for me:

Don't get the book
1) If the book is super popular with kids right now
2) if it is paperback
3) If it is paperback with lots of cartoonish kid pictures on the covers (sometimes that's new hardback, too)

Get the book
1) If it's a Catholic publisher before 1964
2) history, science, biography series from 60s

Hard to teach about authors, but I have dropped names so much that my sisters now know what to look for (unfortunately I have to compete).

If I didn't have children, I'd be in the book selling business for sure.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Science category is a bit different. I like the old stuff of science; I know some has changed, but the naturalist books and How and Why Series and Wonder and Golden Books and other series are still quite captivating. I'm still working on identifying those.

I like the All About Books which deal mostly with scientific topics. I picked up on Archeology today, which is really captivating my son.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version