Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Cleaning the toilet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MamaFence
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 22 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote MamaFence

I hate cleaning toilets. They are gross, and here they turn black and orange so fast. I usually use baking soda and vinegar to clean, but it's not completely getting rid of the ick. What else works? And how often should I replace the toilet cleaning brush?

DD 7yr (11.04)
DD 5yr (6.06)
DS 3yr (6.08)
DS 2yr (11.09)
Back to Top View MamaFence's Profile Search for other posts by MamaFence

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 22 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sounds like you have hard water (iron?), Gina. Home Depot (and the like) carry special products for that.

This post caught my eye because I finally broke down and bought a (expensive to me) toilet brush and I think it is worth the money. Here it is at Amazon. I can really put pressure on it and it doesn't collapse under the pressure.

Good luck!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2011 at 1:57am | IP Logged Quote mamasue

If it's been a while since it's been scrubbed and is really bad I buy a bottle of "the works" toilet cleaner from the dollar store and pour at least half (if not all) the bottle and leave it for a couple hours (hard with kids, so I do it when they go to bed.) this usually works excellent.
I've found that with hard water you really need to clean the toilet every day with a brush to easily keep it clean. Of course, with 3 toilets and 6 kids, it's not easy to remember to do that every day. Our toilets must all have different surfaces on the insides because they all have to be cleaned differently. Two of them do ok with comet, but one of them just won't get clean with comet, bleach, baking soda&vinegar even if I get all the water out. That's when the bottle of "the works" comes in handy!
Suzette
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I bought a toilet cleaning brush at Walmart that has a little thing that sprays inside it to always keep it fresh (you just have to replace it every few months). I always like knowing I am starting with a clean brush.

BTW, I hear you about cleaning bathrooms. YUCK! That was the best thing about being pregnant...DH did it (althought not nearly as often as I would have liked!).

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 23 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Are you on well and septic? My orange and black toilet rings are basically because we don't have chlorinated water. Maybe once a year I'll risk the septic by using chlorox in the toilets - that does the best job with cleaning this kind of thing. Otherwise, the things that help: brushing the toilet out daily; white vinegar; baking soda; oxyclean; borax. Not that any of these is a perfect cure, but I move around from one to another.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version