Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Bleeding during pregnancy--protocol? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 11 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

I am 15 weeks pregnant was diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma/hemmorage. The ER doctor told me strict bedrest and to follow up with my doctor. I had an appointment yesterday but wasn't able to see my doctor but saw a resident. She told me to go about life as normal but with no heavy lifting, including the baby who is 23 pounds. I am frustrated because I don't know exactly what to expect or how "easy" I need to take it. I don't think they understand what life is like with 6 children!

I do have help available if I need it.

Can anyone who has experienced this chime in? I would like to hear what your experience was like, what you did/didn't do, if the bleeding continued throughout pregnancy, etc. You can message me if you don't want to post it.

Thank you so much!

motherheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 11 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote motherheart

Hi Lindsey,

I had bleeding with my 3rd child. I had been bleeding off and on for a few weeks. At 12 weeks I was diagnosed with the same thing, a subchorionic bleed. My doctor at the time was one that other OBs sent their patients to if there was a problem pregnancy or a multiple birth (ie triplets). He told me bedrest for two weeks. We had an almost three year old and a 15 month old at the time.

It was tough, but I layed on the couch or in bed every day. The bleeding slowed down and cleared up within 4 days or so. After two weeks my doctor said only light lifting and housework for two weeks or so (I don't remember exactly). As a mom, you know how we do not often listen to the word light! I started bledding again. He said two more weeks of bedrest! So, after two more weeks I did very light activities. When we have a new baby, the recommendation is to lift nothing heavier than the weight of the baby. I took that as my rule when off bedrest, not lifting things heavier than 8 pounds or so.

With my next 3 I had some bleeding and different doctors. With #4 when the bleeding started I called my doctor and the nurse said to take it easy. She did not say bedrest, but I put myself on bedrest for a week, since that worked the time before.

I had less bleeding with #5 and #6, but I did the same thing.

After my bedrest each time, the bleeding did not reoccur.

I know how difficult it can be to be on bedrest with little ones. I only had two at the time, though, for my lengthiest bedrest. I had my little ones climb up to lay by me on the couch or in bed. That was helpful, since I couldn't be up and around to take care of them. We had help; each of our parets stayed with us for a few days at a time. We had just moved into our house when I was put on bedrest with #3 and we had not unpacked. My mother-in-law put away all of our kitchen items while I was laying on the couch!

My #3 is turning 9 next month.

Get help around the house and with the kids. Listen to your instincts, too. You know that what you do is in the best interest of your baby, who is COMPLETELY dependent on you. You are in our prayers.

You can send me a message anytime.

:) Mary
Back to Top View motherheart's Profile Search for other posts by motherheart

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2011 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I haven't had this.. hmm unless it was what I had with my first.. but bedrest doesn't make the difference.. not really.. it's used as a precaution.. but there have been more and more studies that show it's only truly useful in some very extreme cases.

The lifting is standard procedure when you're pregnant at all. From what I understand it's not about the baby but your abdominal muscles are getting stretched and thinner and you can much more easily hurt yourself.. the 10 lb or so limit is rather arbitary.. I never follow it.. my midwife never even mentions it. I AM careful though and ask for help with heavier items that I could move when not pregnant.. and that includes the heavier kids that while I could move them not pregnant it's at the upper end of what I could move.. I guess I sorta only lift about half what my normal limit is.. and don't worry about the actual weight.

But back to the bedrest.. they're finding that women do better and are healthier without bedrest.. but light activity.

When I had the bleeding with my first.. may have been this, I was told to take it easy plus "pelvic rest" until the bleeding lessened and once the bleeding stopped I wasn't on any restrictions.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version