Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Home Warranty Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wahoo92
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote wahoo92

Do any of you have experience with the purchase and use of home warranties? We are buying a new (to us) home with multiple systems and appliances that have the potential to need major repairs or replacement in the first few years we are there. American Home Shield was highly recommended to us, but in talking to their representative on the phone, I was not impressed, and review sites online in general rate them poorly (as they do many of the companies). I know people who have recently purchased warranties with various companies, but they haven't had them long enough to have experience with their service when a service call or replacement has been needed.

Just looking for some feedback on what company you use and your satisfaction with it, particularly if you have had ailing systems, a heat pump or large appliance, for example, and if you were happy with how the company handled the decision making process of repair vs. replace, then reimbursement.

Thanks! Sarah

Back to Top View wahoo92's Profile Search for other posts by wahoo92

cathhsmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 08 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote cathhsmom

We had a warranty through American Home Shield for the first year after we bought our home - I wasn't impressed. It was $50 service fee every time something needed done {even if the repair cost less than $50}, and they didn't want to replace anything, even appliances which sorely needed replacing. When they did replace it was with the cheapest possible item.

I don't know about other companies though.

If you're paying for it yourselves, save the money and just use it to do your own replacing and repairs. It will be much easier and cheaper overall.

Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Dana

We had AHS when we bought our house and I was not impressed at all. We never did get replacements for what needed to be replaced and I guess we were lucky we hadn't paid for the warranty and then the replacements.

I know another woman in our church who bought a home with AHS warranty. She bought a home for her and her seven children to live in after a tumultuous divorce and annulment. Anyway, they gave her a hard time about somethings, but luckily a wonderful lawyer in our parish took on AHS for her pro bono and managed to get the necessary repairs and replacements done.

I would not purchase it with my own money. If it's something the sellers are offering maybe they would be willing to replace some of what needs replacing instead?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We had the Home Warranty for our first house, and it was helpful. We used it twice, I think, for the A/C and heater. Saved us a bit of money.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We have an appliance insurance plan with our utility company. It costs us $14 a month. It pays 100% cost of repairs up to $500 per visit, and if the repair costs more than 75% of the replacement cost, they will pay for a new appliance. It covers all of our appliances, our furnace, water heater and water softener. We have never had a problem with getting repairs done in a timely manner.

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

We have AHS with this house. The previous owner had stuck paper up the toilet and while we were on vacation, it flooded our master closet. They didn't fix it because it had been tampered with...um...not by us! They did fix a leak in our shower that was getting water into our crawl space. We are in the process of trying to fix our heat pump (it has been almost a month without a/c), but the main problem here is that the heat pump is new enough to be under manufacturers warranty so we are having to deal with them. They KEEP trying to fix it and it never works. I am just praying they authorize a new one. We have to pay $60 every time they come out, but they always come out within 24-48 hours.

That said, I am glad we have it. The previous owner's purchased it so it didn't cost us anything. I wouldn't buy a house without it. Will you have to deal with an annoying insurance company? YES! However, it is better than having no protection at all.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version