Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Poll: Nose Wipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: What is Your Family's Preferred Choice of Material for Nose Wipes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.67%]
4 [13.33%]
17 [56.67%]
3 [10.00%]
4 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 06 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

A recent conversation has me thinking about nose wipes. Yep, that's right
So I'm intrigued, who still uses hankies? Do you use toilet paper or tissues instead? Or perhaps as my family suggests you may use sleeves or shirt tails?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2011 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I voted tissues, but I admit I love hankies. My dh makes fun of me because on roadtrips I'm known for buying old fashion stitched or embroidered hankies. They're beautiful to admire hard to believe what they're meant for...

As for the rest of my family, unless I'm standing right there, they'd vote sleeves and any thing you're wearing .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2011 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We love hankies here.. big bandana sized ones.. the dainty hankies are sure pretty but pretty useless when you have allergies or a cold

As long as they've been washed a few times to soften.. they're softer on my nose than any tissue.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

When they're sick, my children use small flannel receiving blankets overnight, flannel hankies during the day. I made my husband a set of flannel hankies for Christmas and he uses them now as well. I still prefer tissues, though.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Celeste

I'm intrigued, I've only ever heard of cotton hankies. why flannel?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Erin wrote:
I'm intrigued, I've only ever heard of cotton hankies. why flannel?

It just happened that way, really--we started using the receiving blankets (which happened to be flannel) when my littles were babies. They really like the feel of the flannel, so I bought a few yards of it and sewed hankies for them. My husband likes the softness of them as well.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

If there is a cold going around, we use mostly toliet paper, but in general, we do hankies. I keep intending to make flannel ones, too, but right now we have some men's cotton ones (I have a few pretty ones), and the boys often use baby wash cloths or thin napkins that will fit in their pockets.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

We use toilet paper or napkins. I like the idea of reusable, and especially soft flannel, but right now have enough laundry to do without adding more .

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well the nice thing about hankies is that you'd have to have HUGE numbers to even make a small load of laundry.. they can easily slip into loads of laundry without really increasing the number of loads.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

My son uses hankies but everyone else uses either tissues or toilet paper.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I admit to the non-economical, non-environmental choice: tissues. We do use tp rolls when out of tissue. I really like the idea of hankies for the cost savings, but not sure I could get it to go over at this point. Shoulda started earlier...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

WE also use the uneconomical, non environmental choice. only because of my nursing background in Intensive care and Operating theatre. Just can't get my head to a place of cloth hankies.
leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Another nurse here...tissues (just too afraid of transmitting bugs around.)    And I usually get the ones with "lotion" in them (like "Puffs Plus".)

I think handkerchiefs are so lovely, but I'd only use them to dab my eyes, if I carried any (although I do have some of my mum's and grandma's old one in my "underwear" drawer.)

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Isn't it funny, but this is an area that I have strong feelings and opinions!

I have bad allergies, so I'm blowing my nose all the time. I chose "tissues" because that's what we use now. I make sure we have tissues in the house, make sure my bags and car are packed with boxes of tissues. With another son with similar nasal allergies like mine, and another with frequent bloody noses, the tissues are necessary. I also choose Puffs Ultra Strong -- don't like anything else. Reasons: keep my hands clean, withstands more than one wipe, soft to my nose, durable.

I think I have done the pendulum swing because of my experience as a child. We didn't use handkerchiefs at home, and my mother didn't buy tissues, so we just had toilet paper. And I was caught quite a bit without anything to wipe my nose. With allergies having your eyes and nose streaming it is quite uncomfortable and embarrassing. So I resolved to have that "luxury" of never being without tissues, and to choose my brand of choice.

I was in the convent for a short period, and did learn the art of handkerchief use. They taught us how to use a handkerchief and to fold the used sections so that when you took it out to use you wouldn't be blowing or wiping in a dirtier section.

But even there the policy for colds was to use tissues, and for my frequent blowing, I required more than a few handkerchiefs a day. We did have some wonderful all cotton, gentleman sized, softer as you wash them, so absorbent kerchiefs that I wish I could recreate. I'd like to get my hubby back into the handkerchief routine, and teach my sons.

But for me, except for keeping one in my purse, it's easier to have a wad of tissue and throw out the used ones instead of hauling the amount of hankies I'd need for a day.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stacykay wrote:
Another nurse here...tissues (just too afraid of transmitting bugs around.)    And I usually get the ones with "lotion" in them (like "Puffs Plus".)

That's funny to me, because I always dislike the lotion ones because it feels like they "repel" moisture.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

I know it would take a lot to make more laundry, but what I meant is with the pile up of laundry during busy seasons with the laundry it would be hard to keep up on having enough on hand. We have a LOT of nose blowing around here. It seems things that I think we have enough of get lost in Laundry-Land and I fear I wouldn't be able to keep enough clean and in drawers to make a go of it. When things get busy or we're gone for even one day, the laundry has an incredible ablility to pile up.

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh don't I know it Pilgrim.. I've had some friends recently telling me about paying an older child to do the laundry.. like $1/load.. if it wasn't that we have SO MANY loads (at least until I get everything caught up this week and can reduce the amount of clothing) it would break me paying for it.

-Sir Walter Scott

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

JennGM wrote:
stacykay wrote:

That's funny to me, because I always dislike the lotion ones because it feels like they "repel" moisture.

I use the lotion ones, because when my boys need them, they seem to need them constantly, and anything else just makes their poor noses redder and sorer. I've tried vaseline and other ointments on their noses, but they really don't like the greasy feeling.    

I remember my mum teaching me handkerchief folding!    How funny is that!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

My grandmother used to iron my grandfather's hankies, it was great fun to me when I was young to get to use the iron to iron them for her, and fold them ever-so-neatly. bShe used to tell me when I was hanging laundry on the line, folding laundry, or making a bed (she was an awesome bed-maker, "However you leave it is how you'll find it", I never paid a whole lot of attention to that statement or understood fully what she meant, but now I do. She was full of great lessons like that. Bringing back fond memories here!

St. Clare Audio

Nat B
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 08 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Nat B

I chose tissues, because most of us use them, although dh always has a hankie in his pocket, and a couple of my children like to use them too. Dh grew up with hankies, I grew up with tissues. But I just can't get over the uncomfortable feeling that washing hankies is kind of gross. Are you supposed to soak them first or something? I have always wondered this but never asked anyone. I have learned not to wash them with dark clothes when you don't have a very good washing machine(I think that is why it grosses me out )
Sorry if this question seems a bit silly

Trusting God Each Day
Back to Top View Nat B's Profile Search for other posts by Nat B Visit Nat B's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version