Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: efficient packing for camping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Dh and I are talking about how we can pack 2 weeks worth of camping equipment, clothing and food into a small space. I know I can pack clothing into ziplocks and squeeze the air out but I'm wondering about any other ideas you may have. One particular issue is what to do with all the long and sometimes pointy things like marshmallow forks, campfire pie makers, extra long tongs and forks used for cooking on the grill, etc. Any ideas? These things are a pain to pack and also, while we are camping, it's hard to find a home for them so they are not just laying around. Our current method is to put some of them on the groud under a table but I don't like having to wash them before we use them. I'd like to think of something different and I'm looking for ideas?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

I'm not sure what a pie maker is but we just whittle sticks for marchmallows then put them in the fire when we are done. We hang the tongs and whatnot on the grill handle if we are at a campground. Is there a way you can alter your menu to reduce the items you need. Heavy duty aluminum foil can be used to make banana boats or dump cake.

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2011 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I use a Rubbermaid box for the kitchen. All kitchen stuff goes in there. It sits under the picnic table while we are camping. It has pots, pans, dish soap, cloths, a small amount of laundry detergent, oil, table cloth, paper plates and plastic utensils, cooking utensils, net bag for rinsing dishes, clothes pins and clothesline, collapsable water jug, etc. I also prepack dry stuff, for example if we plan on having pancakes, I premeasure the dry ingredients and put in a ziploc bag. Planning a menu will help. We planned our menu for our recent trip and bought meats, produce and dairy when we arrived. Worked well.
Clothes are usually in soft bags to fit around other stuff. We would do laundry at least once on a 2 week trip.
More later if I think of things...

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I use a box for kitchen stuff as well.. it's more square than a rubbermain tote and has a lift out shelf in it.. the marshmellow forks just fit in it catty cornered.

BUT what about something like a mailing tube? then you can put things into it sharp end first.. and they stay clean.. and if you can find a way to make it stable standing up.. it would be great for storing things while camping too.. maybe if you put rocks in the bottom to make it heavy? maybe a bucket would work better.. a 5-6 gallong bucket would have taller sides and hold things up pretty well.. you might even fill it with water for soaking those items`and giving it weight

an old tent or camp chair bag might be a good travel solution so it wouldn't stop things from poking out but it would keep them collected together and clean.

a small tarp could be laid on the ground under the table like you're doing and keep things clean.. and the items could be rolled up into it for travel.

My camping gear is in two totes and a toolbox.. and then individual items.. that means I only have those boxes plus the ice chests to pack around.. and the others items pack in between.

as far as enough clothes.. a 5 gallong bucket and a plunger (like for the bathroom but not ever used in the bathroom) can make a a handy washing machine while camping.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and freeze whatever food you can for the later times.. that will reduce your need for ice and allow more food to go into an ice chest.

Eggs that aren't going to be fried can be cracked and scrambled (if wanted) and put into ziplock bags.. bags pack in better than containers.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2011 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote Angi

We place a grocery bag over the end of the roasting forks and slide them under a van seat for the drive and storage while camping.

We also use a big rubbermaid for the kitchen, and one for food.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version