Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: After consecration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 25 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Hello ladies. I just completed my consecration renewal and am missing the special prayer time with our Lady. I have my morning prayer and we do a family rosary--what , if any prayers do you say throughout the day to help you stay focused? Of course spontaneous prayers reminding us of Mary are beautiful but I find that sometimes I get to the rosary in the evening and realized that I have not thought of her much that day? Thanks for your suggestions.

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 25 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I have holy cards in my kitchen (I can tuck them into the trim on my cupboard doors, so no tape is involved). I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and when I see the holy cards I remember to pray, especially as I am preparing meals, cleaning up, etc. I also carry a holy card or two in my "wallet" (it's not a traditional wallet, but it does the same thing...hold money and cards).

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2011 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Praying the Angelus at 6am, noon, and 6pm is another fruitful devotion to Our Lady. I have read that St. Gabriel loves to hear the story of his Annunciation to Mary spoken again and again throughout the day, which is such a lovely thought. And I like that it's a communal prayer--we do it at mealtimes, so it works easily into our schedule.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

Ever since reading Consoling the Heart of Jesus, I pray daily at 3pm (the hour that Jesus died on the cross). I meditate for a few minutes on the scene of the crucifixion. I envision myself kneeling at the foot of the cross next to Mary and sharing in her grief as she watches her son die. It really gives me an understanding of how much Mary gave up for us on a personal level by continually saying, "Yes" to God's will in her life.

Right now, I am really working on accepting God's will and giving him an immediate, "Yes." I have found that following Mary's example is the easiest way for me to do this. Whenever something comes up that is hard for me, I pray that I can accept his will in the same way that Mary does. I am so thankful that, as a Catholic, we can turn to Mary for guidance and have such a wonderful role model to follow.

I also think of Mary often when I am doing "motherly" duties that I am not excited about, i.e. dishes, laundry, mopping. I offer up my mundane work to the Lord and it seems to give it a little more meaning.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Laura, when I was 10 my father went on long service leave for one year and our family moved interstate to look after the home of a man who ran a worldwide Fatima apostolate and newspaper. His home, which was big and roomy, was the Australian office for the apostolate during the day. Two lovely, elderly women ran the office and they recited the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception.

It was my only year of being homeschooled, which was in a room adjacent to the main office room. So we recited this together from 9am through till 6pm everyday, by the end of the year I knew the beautiful poems off by heart. In fact, if I heard someone reciting them today, I would be able to join in, amazing, since I haven't recited them since I was 10.

I have wanted to resume this with my own family and haven't, reading this has got me thinking about it again.

What might be doable, is to recite only the noontime prayers when everyone stops for lunch, if this is able to be kept up, it could be extended, maybe one when school starts (9am) and one when it finishes (3pm).

The poetic stanzas are really beautiful, if you havent' seen them before, I am sure you will love them. Here is the one for Sext (noon)

Hail, Virginal Mother, hail, Purity's Cell;
Fair shrine where the Trinity loveth to dwell.

Hail, Garden of Pleasure, Celestial Balm,
Cedar of Chastity, martyrdom's palm.

Thou Land set apart from uses profane,
And free from the curse which in Adam began.

Thou City of God, thou Gate of the East,
In thee is all grace, O Joy of the Blest.
Amen.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

I also keep Holy Cards and prayers throughout the main living areas in my home, and where ever I tend to hover most - such as the kitchen sink . It is there I have a framed Angelus sitting next to my Our Lady of Grace statue. ... it seems that I'm at the sink a hundred times per day, no need to remind myself, She's staring at me whether I'm just getting a class of water or doing the dishes.

My scapular is also a constant reminder of my devotion to our Blessed Mother, and to seek her counsel throughout my day.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 22 2011 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

I used to set my watch to go off hourly to remind me. It's easier to remember now that there aren't as many little children underfoot.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I set timers on my iphone as well, otherwise I just sail on through the hours...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version