Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Which Connecting With History booklist? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

We'll be starting Connecting with History vol. 2 in the fall. I haven't used this program before and was looking for some insight. I have a seven year old who reads well above his grade level, but cannot (or will not?) give me even the simplest narration. I have written on it extensively here.

Anyway, we haven't had any change in that situation. He still acts like I cut off his arm, throws tantrums, and refuses to talk to me if I ask him to tell me about what he read in any way, shape, or form. If I dare to use the "N word" (which I really avoid doing at all costs), all hell breaks loose.

He is definitely capable of reading and understanding the books on the Volume 2 Grammer Level Booklist. I ordered both the books on that list and the books on the Beginner Level booklist as well, since I have a 5 year old to consider.

So... I am at a loss. I would love to let him read the Grammar level books, but at the same time I want to make sure he is actually understanding and retaining the information he reads. Since he refuses to narrate anything to me, I am not sure how to make sure he is doing that.

If someone has the lesson plans, would you be able to let me know what sort of study guides it contains? He has responded somewhat to a Q&A format about what happened, which is not what I prefer, so if that was included I might be satisfied.

Right now he is hiding behind the couch because he doesn't want to tell me what he read in the first chapter of Roger Lancelyn Green's Tales of the Greek Heroes.   

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I would love to hear some reviews of this program. This might be exactly what I am looking for!!!!!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Kristin Anne,

I know if you search for the name, there are several threads. I would do it for you but you'll have to forgive me this time- I am nursing and the baby likes to bang on the keys!

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I just weaned my baby and I completely know what you mean!!!!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Krista let me give this a whirl:

We are doing Connecting with History vol.2 right now. I have a 5th grader (girl) , 3rd grader (girl) , and 5 yr old and 3 year old. In the fall I bought the book lists for both Beginner and Grammar level. I was able to make a list with which books I could get from the library and which I needed to buy and purchased the first 4 units in the fall and the next 3 units in February.
(The pain in the pocketbook was not that bad that way )

I have the lesson plans and you can pm me for specific questions if you like but from what you tell us, IMHO, I would only do the beginning list with your children. The Grammar list is a challenge for my 10 year old and she loves to read AND Narrate. We read all the books together anyways.

Yes, there are literature guides but these are frameworks with vocabulary and questions that really need to be delved into. The beginning list study guides are very simple and I actually have used them for other things as well.

I have a suggestion that just might be exactly what will work for your son though. I got the idea from someone on these forums of using a white empty book as their "notebooks" I bought some like these. I spent some time searching online for clip art and mini books from places like Homeschool share and we made wonderful notebooks about what we were learning. Thus NO NARRATING! At least not that they knew       While we were reading I would ask simple follow up question but I would leave it very open and THEY would choose what to put in their notebooks.

I'll give you a couple of examples:

When we studied Roman numerals, they made up tests to give to each other (my 2 girls) and then we placed the test and the answer sheets in their books. When we studied mosaics they made paper squares and mosaic buildings. We designed a newspaper with the front page telling us about the miracle of the wedding at cana.

We have had such a wonderful time with all of this. I know its not the exact way to follow the guide but with my children's writing disabilities projects are the way to go.

Just a few ideas for you and please feel free to pm me. I LOVE this program and would sing its praises from the roof tops if I could.     

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Thanks, Mimi!

I went ahead and placed my order for both booklists, the lesson plans, and also ordered the CD-ROM to make this book of centuries. I showed it to my son and he was really interested. I hope he likes it.

If he doesn't seem to get it I think I will probably use your suggestions and have him build some sort of notebook based on activity pages to make sure he is retaining/understanding. We'll definitely start with the beginning booklist, although i don't know how long I can hold him there if he wants to read the grammar level list!

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 30 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

I just got CwH vol 1, the 2005 edition, is this History only?? or would it be a full curriculum??

Should I start a separate thread?? I have several questions and 5 kids bouncing off the walls!!

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Krystin,

I just got my Vol. 2 last week and it encompasses easily history and language arts. I am not planning on using it as written (we are going to do a Book of Centuries) but I will be using the copywork suggestions and the book lists/reading lists.

Just use the living books from the book list for narration, copywork, and dictation, and (unless you have someone lined up for their year of grammar), you are good to go.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version