Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Anyone seen/use All About Reading? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 03 2011 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I just finished looking at this over at the All About Spelling site. My first impressions are that it looks very complete and carefully put together. However, it is also expensive (nearly $100.00 for the basic set and over $100.00 for the deluxe) and I am not sure that it is really that different from other reading programs out there to warrant paying the high price. Finally, (and this will sound silly) I am not sure if I will like pretending I am "Ziggy the Zebra" during the lessons. I understand some adults and kids enjoy that kind of role play, but I know I will feel ridiculous

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

The puppet threw me, Tea. Personally, as a former classroom teacher I could see where using a puppet to get everyone's attention would be a great tool. But then I would put it away before starting a lesson. Here at home, my kids would be totally distracted by the puppet, wanting to play with it instead of paying attention to the lesson. Maybe I'm just too serious of a person though! Other than the puppet thing I thought the program looked good, just a little expensive. (I guess one could buy the individual components and not get the puppet?)
I always worry about paying so much money for something and then not having the time to actually implement it! I mentioned I was looking at Delightful Reading in the other thread and I have the same worries about that!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Well, Tea, I just spent some more time over at the All About Reading site and I see that the puppet is really just an extra. It does not come with the basic kit.
I also see, after viewing the samples more carefully that it looks like a really neat program! UGH! Now I need to talk myself out of it! There's still the time factor and the money factor...

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Becky Parker wrote:
I just spent some more time over at the All About Reading site and I see that the puppet is really just an extra. It does not come with the basic kit.

Well, yes and no. She does work the puppet into the actual lessons, so she says that if you don't want to buy the one from the site, you will need to provide your own or I guess find a way to work around that part of the lesson so that you just don't use it (I wouldn't use it -    I just couldn't imagine myself actually doing it!).

~Tea

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

There is a money back guarentee.
Try it and send it back if you don't like it.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Gee Thanks Aagot! You're supposed to talk me out of buying it!    Just kidding.

Tea, I guess I'm not looking very carefully, I didn't see that. I think, if I bought this, (which I would blame on you and Aagot! ) I would just say what the puppet was supposed to say in my own words. I'm not sure what the big deal is with the puppet. Alternatively, I'd introduce the first lesson with a puppet, put it away, and tell my ds he could play with it at the end of the lessons if he did a good job paying attention.
I noticed that the deluxe kit, besides the puppet, also comes with a bag (don't need) and an activity box. Is that just a decorated box, or is there more to it?

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Well, yes, but I don't think I can come up with the $$ even to try it! Also, I have this horrible problem with hanging on to curriculum that I think I might - just might - need somewhere down the road, so I never (or hardly ever!) send things back

~Tea

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Becky,

The box is for storing the various cards in, just like AAS. You could probably use any box for that, probably just a regular index card box would work.

~Tea

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thinking about this some more, I'm asking myself what it is about this program, and Delightful Reading that I find so intriguing. I think it is that fact that all of the various components are put together to make a complete program and I don't have to worry about adding in anything. It's also very colorful and fun looking. I start to think how it would really simplify teaching my ds to read. But really, as I said in this thread:
"I taught my dd to read with no program at all. I just taught her the basic phonograms using index cards with the letters printed on them. Then I taught her to combine the letters in combinations like at, op, in, it, us ... We added a letter to the beginning to make short words and once she could do that comfortably, we started using the various readers I have around here."

I'm attracted to all the bells and whistles these programs have to offer, but I'm not sure they are really necessary. I should learn my lesson! I thought LLATL looked great too. It's been collecting dust around here for years!

Okay, so I've come full circle in this short thread that I didn't even start. Sorry about that Tea. I see that I hi-jacked. I'm such a sucker for discussing new curricula. I tend to think out loud so I talk too much!

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Becky Parker wrote:

I'm attracted to all the bells and whistles these programs have to offer, but I'm not sure they are really necessary. I should learn my lesson! I thought LLATL looked great too. It's been collecting dust around here for years!   

Yup, guilty of the same here !

You know, Becky, what you were mentioning about how you taught your dd to read is basically what Little Stories for Little Folks does if you follow the program from the beginning, which I never have. I have always only used it as a follow on to something else. So maybe that's what I should do, is just get LSLF again and do lots of read alouds. It would be a lot less expensive than many of the other options, and probably just as good!

~Tea

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Oops, sorry about that, I fell down on the job
So, if I am suppose to talk you out of it... how is this:
Don't buy any new curriculum. See what has worked in the past and stick with it! And why, Tea, are you looking at stuff if you don't have the money???
Sorry, so with you on this one. I do it all the time!

Seriously, what I would do is look at the samples (or find someone's to borrow) and see what it is that is so attractive to you. Do you like the games? They don't look like they would be that hard/expensive to replicate and you have all summer to plan. If you school all year, sign your kids up for VBS and sit in the car/library/pew preparing (saves on the wasted time driving home and back).

And while you all are doing that, I'll take a peek at the AAR set that I bought, just to look at, and see if I can be more helpful Don't laugh yourselves silly now!
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Aagot wrote:
And why, Tea, are you looking at stuff if you don't have the money???

Sorry, I should clarify here! I have the money to purchase some well-considered additions to our homeschool materials. What I don't have is extra money to spend on having an item shipped to me just to have a look at it    That's why I was hoping to glean reviews here from others who may have seen or tried this set first. While i understand that they offer a money back guarantee, you always lose the shipping to and from (plus insurance when shipping it back), and then there is often a wait (sometimes considerable) before you get your refund. So, I'd rather be reasonably sure I will like something before I invest any money in it    It's just not worth the frustration to "buy and see".

~Tea

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2011 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Well, I went to adoration yesterday afternoon and just put next year in the Lord's hands. Then Tea, I was flipping through the CHC catalog again and came up with the same thing you did. I already decided to get LSFLF for my now 1st grader that is just not reading up to snuff. I just got to thinking, why not use it for both of them at different levels? I never had the complete program - just the actual readers that were given to me years ago. I've since lost the 2nd level (or gave them away?) so I really need to buy the whole program. I guess there is more to it than the readers themselves.

Great minds think alike!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Aagot wrote:
And why, Tea, are you looking at stuff if you don't have the money???
Sorry, so with you on this one. I do it all the time!

And while you all are doing that, I'll take a peek at the AAR set that I bought, just to look at, and see if I can be more helpful Don't laugh yourselves silly now!

Maybe we need to start a support group for curriculum junkies!

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Becky,

I am going to do that as well - buy the set of LSLF for next year. More and more, I am thinking I will be going with CHC for a lot of things for next year. Maybe I really should get thinking about that Yahoo! group

~Tea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version