Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Video at the Modest Mom blog/Skirt Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The Modest Mom blog is doing a series on wearing skirts called: She Wears Skirts.

I stumbled on the site in a search for summer skirts, and I do like the skirts she makes and sells. (They are longer, but not frumpy, and for all you pregnant ladies, she sells maternity skirts as well as gently used maternity tops).

Anyway- I always like to read about modest dressing, so She Wears Skirts intrigued me. The most recent post has a short video clip about men's feelings on modesty. It has a couple of college guys reading how they feel about seeing girls on campus and in church wearing skimpy clothes.

When I was in college I had a friend- a really nice guy from a small town who was in many in my classes and we studied together. I remember one day he said, "Melinda, I just want to tell you something. You are a nice girl, so be careful. Be very careful. Guys my age think about s--- all the time.".

I thought he was joking, but he assured me he was serious. All the time. More than any girl ever realizes. He even asked a few of his buddies in front of me if this was true, and they all said yes. I was very surprised, and his words have always stayed with me.

Seeing the video clip
brought it all back to me as if we were sitting there in the library again studying for a chemistry test.

If I had a teenage dd, I would ask her to watch this clip with me. It would be a good springboard for some serious discussion on why modesty matters. I think it's hard for most girls to understand, especially when the media is telling them they need to show off, look good, etc. Hearing it from a guy's perspective is a whole different point of view.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

This is such a great topic. I have always enjoyed very modest girly clothing for my girls and up to a year ago my oldest dd no longer could fit into size 12-14 or under. I've had a difficult time finding clothing that is modest and targeted to her age group. It was easier to shop at say a Gymboree or Hanna Andersson for her, but when I started trying to find clothing at other mall shops I've just had a difficult time. It seems like the preteen clothing has just become an extension of the very provacative teen lines .

I've scheduled Beautiful Girlhood as our Habits/Virtues reading for the fall. I know that I have to start thinking about how to address some of these tough issues with my young preteen, especially since like you say the media is just to loud to shut out. MODESTY certainly matters!

Needless to say we do our best and she has definitely become a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal, with a handful of decent dresses for church. Our summers are lots of bermuda style shorts and skorts.

Thanks for the blog link, I'll be reading it and watching the video.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2011 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jenny, the good news is that I think finding decent clothes gets easier when they can wear the smaller women's sizes (you can also look in petites).. so you just have to get through that too big for girls and too small for women's stage.

And just fyi Landsend goes up to size 16 in girls and they can have some really cute dresses and skirts.

Melinda - What age and knowledge level of teenage daughter were you thinking of for watching that video? My oldest is 14 and I usually have a hard time finding a time I can watch something like that without kids around.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

So funny you mention women sizes Jodie. We are going on a trip for holy week to Central America and I know its supposed to be warm. Well, I haven't gotten around to shopping for her so in a moment of realization (or was that desperation) I just let her try some of my "thin" shorts and skirts. I wear (o.k. wore) a petite size 6-8 on my good years, but since my last two babies haven't gotten back yet . I've kept some casual summer clothing in hopes I'll get back soon (I know very wishful thinking )

Anyway almost all of it fit her. She has a completely new wardrobe compliments of Ann Taylor & REI. It doesn't look to conservative, but just appropriately modest for her; not bad for an eleven yr. old. I'm so glad I didn't give it all away to my youngest sister (she's inhereted the dressier/winter clothing) .

I did purchase some Lands End last summer for her and when we get back from our trip I'll be looking through their catalogue again, just to add some color to my very nuetral earthtone style. I just seemed to hit&miss on their measurements last year.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JodieLyn wrote:

Melinda - What age and knowledge level of teenage daughter were you thinking of for watching that video? My oldest is 14 and I usually have a hard time finding a time I can watch something like that without kids around.

Jodie-

I was thinking around 16ish.... high school or heading off to college. The video is well done in that the boys talk about the difficulty of resisting temptation. It is not graphic or vulgar. At one point near the end one boy talks about hearing of a girl who tried on an outfit that looked great on her but didn't buy it, saying: I wouldn't do that to the guys.

He expresses how grateful he is to her for being considerate of men in general as they try to be holy, more or less. There are nice images throughout the clip of young people praying, etc.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Thanks Melinda.. sounds like something I'll want to watch when she's not here.. in some ways she's still not quite there with re: to the boys.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Wow, thank you, Melinda!

Jenny, I have found that Christopher & Banks has some young looking clothes that work for my two eldest. I shop there too. My second eldest and I are tall and can wear their regular clothes. My oldest is currently shorter and I have found a variety of petite clothes for her too. Coldwater Creek also occasionally carries things that work for my girls (and me).

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I'm also finding lots more clothes for my oldest at yard sales (especially the big ones done for fund raisers by a group).. where the older girl clothes aren't near as easy to find.. and the only older boy things are the occational overshift and dress shirts.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So this series was just started? I found one post on each blog beside the one with the video. I'd find it interesting. I don't wear skirts exclusively but I still love to wear skirts.. being short has it's advantages in skirts too it's not too hard to find ones long enough.

What I have trouble finding are maternity tops that fit me *big sigh* I love the tunic length babydoll style tops (worn with stretch pants or capris for summer).. if the part above the high waist is long enough to get to my ribs.. everyone makes bigger shirts.. sure.. but they assume bigger all over and not just in the chest so they don't compensate for that, so I get a waist line across my bust so attractive

-Sir Walter Scott

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Ye, the series just started- Monday, I think. I'm not exclusively in skirts, either, but I would wear them more often if I could find more skirts I liked.

I am always looking on line and in stores for skirts I like.

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Athleta has some skirts that seem wearable and durable. I personally haven't bought any yet (but have had good luck with pants from them) and they have free shipping. Now they also have some immodest things for sale....so there's something for everyone! :)

I hate to buy something skirt-ish that I can't wear around the house and also to church. I also like to try things on at home. With free shipping you can't loose. :)

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Unscripted_mom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 09 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Unscripted_mom

Just thought I would add that landsend.com is having a friends and family sale this weekend. 30% off and free shipping! Use the promo code: FAMILYSHARE and the pin is 8319. They've got some great clearance and overstock... You can save up to 70%!
Back to Top View Unscripted_mom's Profile Search for other posts by Unscripted_mom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version