Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: C-Section Questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

I have been reading all the old posts on C/S, and I apologize if this is too much overlap, just hoping for insights

I switched practices this pregnancy for various reasons.
I am still not totally comfortable with them, and want to talk to my primary OB about options and standard practices (this will be my 4th C/S)I want to sound like I have a clue, and know that I am asking the important questions. Any input, or links to articles about these topics, (or other questions I should ask) would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some of the things I would like to know.

1. Will they be using staples or sutures and steri strips? (I would prefer the later)

2. How is the uterus sewn up? (my last OB mentioned something to the effect that he took the extra time to sew in two layers, which makes less scar tissue)

3. Will you be cutting the old scar tissue out, so that there is only the new scar? (I have heard from women with 5 + C/S that this is what their doctor did)

4. Will you be checking for existing adhesions? I am worried that they may be some by the bladder, because I have had more cramping when the bladder is full than with my other pregnancies.

5. If adhesions are found, will you repair them during the C/S

6. They found a fibroid on the ultrasound; will that be removed?

7. What would make the decision that a hysterectomy is needed? What would be the advantage/disadvantage to having the ovaries removed at that time to prevent ovarian cancer?

8. How soon can I be released after the C/S, I would prefer 48hrs or less if things go as planned

9. What kind of anesthesia do you use? They used Dermamorph last time, which was good for the pain, but did require benadryl for the itching... I also needed a lot of anti nausea meds, I know I can't handle morphine, vicodine and one other drug (wish I could remember the name of it!) But tylenol with codein, and extra strength motrin worked well.

10. I bought a postpartum support belt, Do I wear that in the hospital, or after release?

Thank you for reading this and for any advice you are able to give!!
Vanessa
currently 30 weeks pregnant!

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

Hi Vanessa,

I have had three Cesareans and 3 Vaginal births, so maybe I can help a little.

You have to ask your OB about staples or sutures on the skin. I've had both so maybe it's a doctor preference thing and you can tell him what you prefer.

I had a little fibroid on my uterus and they cut it right off! No problem and I had five more pregnancies after that.

I'm not sure why you are worried about a hysterectomy. That would be removed in an emergent situation for profuse bleeding, or if there was another pathology. Are you having it removed for prolapse?

Dr. Susan Love has a book about Menopause that is very informative. She writes about the need for the ovarian hormones even after menopause, but you would have to weigh that benefit against the risk of ovarian cancer. If OC runs in your family and you are BRA positive, maybe removing now could be a good move.

I had a support belt and I had them put that on ASAP!! It really reduces the need for pain med.

Good luck with your new baby!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 26 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

Thanks Elena,
The reason I was thinking about hysterectomy is that I figure that would happen in an emergency situation, in which case I might be fully out and I want my DH to know my wishes. My friend who also has had 3 C/S mentioned researching the ovary thing, because that kind of cancer runs in her family, we don't have a history of that, but we do of breast cancer, which I guess can be linked?

What kind of support belt did you use? I bought the Medela one, I am really liking their pregnancy support belt, so I hope I will like their postpartum one too!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

About staples vs. steri strips... I had my 4th C-section last June and had some complications with the sutures/steri-strips. My incision did not close and became infected. In fact, the section that remained open didn't close for almost 2 months. Upon doing some research, I discovered that a)this was not uncommon and b)it was MORE common with sutures/steri-strips (or "glue") than with staples. The part of my incision that didn't close was because of a mismatch of the sides due to old scar tissue.   This mismatch would have been lessened with staples.

So, anyway, I wanted to throw my experience out there because usually you hear about how sutures are *better*. But they may not be better in all cases! If we are blessed with any more pregnancies, I will request staples.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version