Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: I Think I'm Burnt out Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ABAng
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 23 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote ABAng

I think I am burnt out, it hasn't happened in the 4 years of home schooling, however I think I am in the midst of it.

I just don't have much ambition and I can envision what I want our days to be, but just can't seem to get there.

We follow a September to May type schedule with summers packed full of Science and Nature Study. I find that right now I just want to overhaul everything, dive more deeply into a C.M. style, get more narrations going, purge our school room, etc. Yet I hold myself back to what I previously planned telling myself that we only have 2 months left, stay the course then go for the overhaul.

Yet that just isn't sitting right with me, which is perhaps why I am feeling burnt out?

Reading this I know my advice to someone would be to:

A) Stop everything and pray
B) Pick a chore that will have immediate satisfaction
C) Get the kids to the Library to choose what interests them and let them go at it for the week.
D) Slowly get back into things

So why do I keep going in circles? Why can't I follow my own advice? Oh I'm so silly!

Back to Top View ABAng's Profile Search for other posts by ABAng Visit ABAng's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Because you are burnt out

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have similar feelings. I think coming out of the winter season, getting over the doldrums and cabin fever makes me see the end in sight and want to refresh and renew, start all over again. It's spring and Lenten fever.

Your introduction mentioned that you have a CM-type approach, without even realizing it.

Here's what I'm doing. I'm not liking what happened to our school year, at all. I'm taking some time to rewrite up our plans, to nail them down and have some finality. If I don't "finish" this year then this makes me even more discouraged.

But I'm making notes for what I want to do next school year, how I want to approach this summer.

To get some shots in your arm to motivate, what you listed are good ideas that work for me. Pick a few seasonal topics -- seeds, gardening are what we're doing -- check out a few books. Go outside, dig in the dirt, plant some seeds. We started some seeds indoors, and are planning the gardens. I'll just say sending everyone outside (including me), getting dirt under the fingernail, is a major cure for so much!

We also do more meals and studying outside on our porch when the day is nice. That is so refreshing!

Also, look to the liturgical season. Make some plans or a project for Holy Week (special menu, special display, craft) and some reading and ideas for Easter.

These ideas for me don't interrupt what we're doing, so I can have the sense of completion, but a little excitement for what we're doing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

Have you read the chapter in Elizabeth Foss' book about burnout? I haven't suffered from that yet (since I have not even begun homeschooling), but I plan on rereading that whenever burnout crops up.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

ABAng
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 23 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote ABAng

kristinannie wrote:
Have you read the chapter in Elizabeth Foss' book about burnout?

No I have not read any of Elizabeth Foss' books....perhaps I should add them to my list!

I know one reason is that I rarely get time away and the last time my Hubby and I got to go on a date was about 2 years ago       I need to find childcare and make a point of taking him out to a movie maybe?

I also do the best I can to take "mini retreats" here at home and make a point to savour a quiet cup of tea.
Back to Top View ABAng's Profile Search for other posts by ABAng Visit ABAng's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I see you're in Canada. Is it still snowy winter where you are? (I realize this will not apply if you live in BC!) I ask because I used to live in upstate NY. March and the beginning of April were always HARD for me because winter had been going on so long. The kids were cranky, I was cranky, and we all just wanted to go outside without having to put on 200 lbs of gear.

I think your advice to yourself is good. What helped me most was to take a spring break. We actually went away, but I think if you just tell everyone to put away their math books for a few days and build a giant Lego city instead, you may be able to hang on for a little longer. (I find I have the most trouble with burnout when *I'm* not having fun, and by that I mean, I'm the engine pushing everyone through a same-old same-old checklist of work. Sometimes I have to stop and do something different, imaginative, and creative with everyone just so *I* can get interested in learning again!)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

If you feel like overhauling and purging, I would say go ahead! Only two months left of school. so why not make the most of them? The last two months do not have to follow the same lines as all the rest. It could be that your children also are ready for a bit of a change.

I often find that purging and overhauling give me new perspective and help recharge my batteries. Often I find books that I forgot I had or forgot that I wanted to use, and then I pull them out and use them, and it gives everything a fresher feel.

Two things that I have added recently to our school day are the Holy Heroes Lenten Adventure (three times a week, free, and the kids love it) and daily reading from Living Faith Kids. Both have added a new zing to our mornings.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I wish I lived close to you and we could trade babysitting!!!! Hang in there. Make a date with your husband and stick to it. Even if you just sit out on the front porch after the kids go to bed holding hands and stargazing.   

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 24 2011 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sometimes reminding ourselves of our highest priorities and/or why we starting homeschooling in the first place helps. Here's a past topic that discusses Principles of Happy Moms who Home Educate.

Praying we can all finish this year's race strong .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

ABAng
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 24 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote ABAng

Yes we have just had a bunch of snow again, and I am sure that is playing into my burn out. I have taken the last couple of days and decided that nothing will bother me. I don't want to take a full "spring break" (I use the word spring very loosely. ), but I have decided that the kids will be fine plugging away with 2 subjects only....then they can read, draw, build a snow fort, etc.

By lightening the school load I hope that it will just help refresh everyone and then we can get to the organizing/planning.

Thank you Angie for the link to the past thread on this topic. It helped to read it!!

Thank you everyone for your ideas...this forum is so valuable! Oh and Kristin Anne thank you so much for your offer and hugs! I'm going to ask a neighbour to help out next week...cross your fingers that it works out and I can treat my hubby to a night out!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version