Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: gluten free for a toddler Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

We are new to trying the GF ways. Sort of doing a little health experiment around here for the next couple of weeks.

I think I have some ideas that will pull us through. However, I'm at a loss as to what would be some good snacks for a 1 yr old that is really excited to try real food.

Basically...can you help me avoid crackers and goldfish! I know I can give my 2 yrold popcorn and raisins (I know I know, 2 huge choking hazards, but I can't keep them away from her), but no way can my little guy go in that direction!

ps- any other great going GF for the first time tips/recommendations would be really appreciated. I've been combing through past threads too!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

mylonite
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote mylonite

We went Gluten-Free in November. I have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old (tomorrow, sniff sniff!)

For the record, my 2.5 year old has a wheat intolerance, but the whole family is GF for her sake. We also don't have any other allergies or history of allergies.

Snacktime at our house involves:

* corn tortillas topped with almost anything. My husband is Hispanic and his motto is "everything is good in a tortilla!" Or dipped in sour cream, very mild salsa, picante sauce, etc.

(My oldest loves a tortilla with peanut butter and jelly)

* I learned yesterday my little one loves bread covered in Nutella. I make GF bread for the whole family since my daughter is a Nutella addict.

* I'm not sure where your little guy is in terms of food likability (my little guy started solids at 5.5 months and eats like a horse. I'm surprised he's still nursing!), but we also do things like baked potato wedges (dippable and yummy!), fruits and veggies, tortilla chips (small pieces of a chip) and potato chips (at his Grandparent's house).

* Yogurt is fun and messy (unless you spoon feed it).

* For a quick snack, I go for Chex. There is a good variety of GF Chex, and I hand those out like gold coins. They're the "Goldfish" of my household.

That's usually about it. Snacks for my daughter are a lot more varied but usually revolve around Nutella on toast.

I've found the transition to GF really spectacular when aided with a few good cookbooks: "Gluten Free Quick and Easy" and "Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus", both by Carol Fenster. Everything I make from those books are easy, yummy, and a hit with the family. The Wheat Free cookbook MAY have some gluteny items in it, but off the top of my head I can't recall any. But any cookbook by Fenster is good, I've determined.
Back to Top View mylonite's Profile Search for other posts by mylonite Visit mylonite's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Thanks for those ideas!!!!!

I also saw that one of our favorite snacks, veggie straws (big bags at Costco), are GF. Hurray! Those are perfect for this toddler age.

Love the idea of baked potato wedges!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

mylonite
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote mylonite

Oooooh, I'm going to have to check out the Veggie Straws. They were sampling them yesterday, we were drawn into the Veggie Chips. :)

Oh! Mi-Del also makes really good cookies - arrowroot, chocolate chip - and they're totally GF. My little guy loves the arrowroot ones, although that's another Grandparent snack.
Back to Top View mylonite's Profile Search for other posts by mylonite Visit mylonite's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

They aren't cheap, but really, really good are the Gluten Free Pretzels by Glutino. I know Giant carries them; haven't checked elsewhere.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have a friend who highly recommends the Honeyville Grain freeze dried fruits

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Frozen peas are a favorite first food here.

Frozen blueberries, too, but messy.

I do popcorn and sit and bite off the husk part and give them the fluffy part.

We do a good bit of yogurt, too.

Oatmeal and rice, too, if it is what we're serving. (I think you can get gluten free oatmeal).

I actually give my little ones what wevae having cut small. Meatloaf, hamburger, and other ground beef foods are easy. Most cooked veggies are soft enough if cut small enough.

Also, cut ripe fruit: pears, peaches, bananas, quartered grapes

Also, leftover pancakes (buckwheat or almond are yummy gf options)

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Glutino makes pretty good crackers. My 3yo loves these with cheese on them. They're a little harder than a regular soda cracker though, so I'm not sure about a 1yo.

I also make cornbread by replacing the wheat flour with almond and sorghum or rice flours. All my kids will put a little butter and honey on that for a snack. Quick breads or muffins and oatmeal cookies made the same way are also big hits around here.

There are gluten free cereals you can buy that are similar to cheerios. They are more expensive though.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

lisat.momof6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 18 2011 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote lisat.momof6

Quaker rice cakes! They make even make the smaller ones called Quakes. Betty Crocker sells cake and cookie mix too!
Back to Top View lisat.momof6's Profile Search for other posts by lisat.momof6

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version