Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: spring clean in 40 Days - DOABLE Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 11 2011 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

4Real has 3 past topics from 2006/7 devoted to spring cleaning, with many dead links. Time to update and renew!

Are any other members up to spring cleaning this Lent and sharing ideas and support? As the subject title states, let's look at this as one big 40 day project with 2 approaches, AMBITIOUS and DOABLE, each with its own topic.

The goal is to help each of us to feel good about what we CAN do, what the good Lord GRACES us to do, in our particular season/state of life. Let's cheer each other on to cleaning victory .     

I hope when Easter breaks through the dark of Lent, each member here can smile seeing one clean drawer, one clean room, or one clean home .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

For a doable approach, does anyone have current links to a spring cleaning checklist that focuses on the highest priorities of spring cleaning?

Does anyone have a link/experience with spring cleaning tasks that take 20 minutes or less?

Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2011 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I'm probably not capable, during this intense season of drivers' ed, Lent and other life issues, of compiling any lists, or sharing many ideas....we're barely treading water here. I'll certainly be cheering everyone on and coming here for inspiration! I do know that past training of dc is the only thing keeping our ship from sinking right now! I notice small ways in which prior training is paying off a great deal lately...having everyone bringing in and taking care of things after trips away from home, dc being able to cook some meals, along with well established daily chores are a few things keeping me somewhat sane right now! I guess my contribution to the entire concept of Spring cleaning would be a suggestion to train your dc right alongside you as you work to clean, tidy or organize your home....the shortterm and long-range pay-offs are priceless.

I did manage to spend a few minutes adding fresh soil to all our houseplants today, pinching off dead leaves, and giving them all a good bath after the long winter...I'm hoping they'll flourish as the sun begins to shine a little more each day. Does that count as one small baby step toward Spring cleaning?! I guess our Spring cleaning has always consisted of baby steps taken in the midst of real life! I really admire those who have their act together enough to manage a more systematic approach!

As we work on interior cleansing of our souls during Lent, we can unite menial tasks of cleaning our homes with the greater spiritual focus of making our souls ready for the Lord...clean one drawer, banish one sin...clean a room, overcome another sin...clean homes, clean souls, ready to greet our Lord after our Lenten Journey. We can enter into Lenten purgation more deeply by uniting our interior fasting and efforts toward spiritual growth with the exterior tasks of cleaning our homes!

I love the idea of sharing cleaning efforts and encouraging one another, Angie! Thank you so much for initiating this! I'll get back with you if we ever get beyond bare essentials in the weeks ahead!

ETA: I just remembered...some years we've managed to spend Holy Week (especially Holy Saturday)ironing dress clothes and table cloths, washing candle holders and lamp globes, washing interior windows and curtains...there is something very uplifting in accomplishing such tasks after a long Lent and a long winter.   

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh I'm glad for your help, Servant. I agree that the past training of my dc is the only thing that makes me think I can even try this project! One of the reasons I do want to try is that...I may not see this opportunity again for some time. Every year there seems to be something that rightfully takes a higher priority to spring cleaning.

I'll fill the following quote box with ideas shared in replies to make it easy to find ideas for tasks to add to a custom spring cleaning plan...choosing as many or as few, and what is most pressing and/or most enjoyable to:

Quote:
1. Tend to daily chores.
2. Pick up after yourself and those in need of help.
3. Avoid making work for others.
4. Train children alongside you.
5. Add fresh soil to houseplants, pinch off dead leaves, give good bath.
6. Unite menial tasks of cleaning with greater spiritual goals.
7. Change out seasonal clothes/shoes.
8. Garden.
9. Yard care. Seed grass.
10. Switch from winter to summer linens.
11. Replace screens.
12. Wash windows and blinds.

Exactly, I want to unite these tasks with becoming more pleasing to Our Lord!

Please share your favorite ideas, past and present .

Love,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Not sure when it will happen here but one of the major spring "cleaning" is putting away heavy winter gear, and getting out mud boots. Then the change over in all clothes which nicely includes clearing out all drawers and getting the clothes in closets organized.

My plan is to do the first this week.. wearing snow boots for mud is very damaging to the boots especially and the snow boots cost more generally than rain/mud boots.

And then do the other before Easter if the weather keeps improving. (there have been years when you don't want the spring/summer clothes out until May or June )

I need to do the slightly deeper cleaning for company this week as well.. but digging out my bedroom may wait until after next week.. but then I hope to get it cleared out.

We'll be starting plants for the garden soon too.. either in a cold box outside or on the table in my room.. outside would be much preferable and I had someone who does just telling me that it does work well here. I wasn't sure if cold boxes would be enough of if we'd need hot boxes.. cold boxes are MUCH simpler.

Outside also needs picking up.. amazing the stuff that gets buried and hidden in the snow until it all melts. And I want to get grass seed down in the bare places.. but that doesn't take a lot of extra work.. mostly it just takes getting the grass seed so I can do it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2011 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Great, Jodie! I added your ideas to the list.

I really don't enjoy changing out seasonal clothes but it does cheer me to consider something I do anyway as part of my spring cleaning plan .

And...I'm very pleased to not face snow-related concerns.

Love,

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

One thing I love about spring cleaning is switching bedding over from heavy winter comforters and flannel sheets to cotton sheets and light blankets/bedspreads. I love the change of texture and brighter colors of spring/summer bedding!
Another spring task is to replace screens in windows (I take mine out for the winter) and give the windows a good washing inside and out. I also clean blinds and wash curtains. Really lets the sun shine in and lifts the spirits.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

lapazfarm wrote:
One thing I love about spring cleaning is switching bedding over from heavy winter comforters and flannel sheets to cotton sheets and light blankets/bedspreads. I love the change of texture and brighter colors of spring/summer bedding!

Me too! Just when I'm getting tired of my dark textured winter linens, I change to my white light floral linens...just when I'm getting tired of them, I switch to dark .

I've added your suggestions above. Thanks!

Love,

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2011 at 1:58am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Having to clean one's house in order to host a baby shower in March is absolutely the best motivation for spring cleaning.

My house shines...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

My spring cleaning/major decluttering is being helped along by my nearly 8yodd's First Holy Communion in May and 2 lost library itens.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

martinas6
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 18 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote martinas6

Cay, I nearly "liked" your post...I must have Facebook withdrawls?

http://www.mamax9.blogspot.com
Back to Top View martinas6's Profile Search for other posts by martinas6 Visit martinas6's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

martinas6 wrote:
Cay, I nearly "liked" your post...I must have Facebook withdrawls?

LOL!

I find myself doing the same thing.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

ABAng
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 23 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote ABAng

Ugh, I'm not doing so well with my cleaning and organizing.

Hope to accomplish something today.
Back to Top View ABAng's Profile Search for other posts by ABAng Visit ABAng's Homepage

krygerzoo
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 23 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote krygerzoo

The kids & I made a family (kids) closet out of a nook between the kids' two rooms. Their rooms have no closets!    So, we are claiming that space to allow a smidge more room in their already cramped bedrooms. We put five dressers in that small spot! Plus we are spring cleaning their spaces top to bottom!

If we weren't having WINTER weather (grrr) -- yes, freezing rain for two days -- I'd be packing that gear away, too. Probably not until mid April.

Doing the boys' clothes tomorrow & their room. The girls' room is basically done. Just need to figure out good storage solutions for the stuff they want to keep & use.

Friday will be sorting and rearranging my room. Need to make room for the toddler bed! Yay! More room for us now that the little guy is on his own! Phew....

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2011 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

My Spring ((Ummm Autumn)), update,

I have tidied, cleaned and removed unused linen, sheets etc., in my linen cupboard.
Leading me onto our Guest room. Which somehow becomes a tidy dumping ground. So I cleaned discarded and reorganised.
I now have a place for my sewing machine and sewing items.
This then led me to our wardrode in our bedroom. straightened up our clothes.
I have 8 bags for St Vincent de Paul.
2 bags to hopefully give away to friends- The 2 give away bags are dd outgrown clothes.
All this because my dh has built 2 new computers-one for him( our business) and dd -with office 2010 and has cleaned his office up. yeah!
so now I am nearly ready for the school holidays over here and the colder weather.
So thanks Ladies your inspiration, it has been amazing.

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version