Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Durant's Story of Civilization Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 30 2006 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Patty

I have seen a series of books (11 volumes in the whole set I believe) of books called The Story of Civilization by Will & Ariel Durant in used book stores and was wondering about them. Has anyone read any of these, and did you like them? What is the viewpoint of the authors? Did you find anything problematic?

Patty
Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The Durants were atheists, but they treated Christianity quite fairly. I have not read the whole series (it is also available on audio tape), but what I have read is very straight-forward. Perhaps others have read more and can add comments?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm bumping this very old thread. Wondering if anyone can provide a review on this series?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

I have read the entire series. The actual books - I still own them. It has been many years now, but I have reread portions over the years.
I think that is likely enough to tell you I loved them!

I know that in one of the volumes I read the authors preface, and that he stated that he was Catholic, or raised Catholic. . .
Couldn't find what I was looking for in the books, so instead of obsessing I quick searched online and here is what I found. (How do I forget the internet anyway?)

They were hardly athiests, okay, I wouldn't describe them as athiests I suppose is a better way to put it.

"In 1900, Durant was educated by the Jesuits in St. Peter's Preparatory School and, later, Saint Peter's College in Jersey City, New Jersey. Historian Joan Rubin writes of this period, "Despite some adolescent flirtations, he began preparing for the vocation that promised to realize his mother's fondest hopes for him: the priesthood. In that way, one might argue, he embarked on a course that, while distant from Yale's or Columbia's apprenticeships in gentility, offered equivalent cultural authority within his own milieu."[6]

The above is from Wiki - check here for better bio:
http://www.willdurant.com/bio.htm

and best of all check this one out =
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recn um=2873
Deathbed reversion - Deo Gratias!

Trish

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register