Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: The best of camping gear Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

What camping gear do you absolutely LOVE?

My dh and ds are enjoying the world of cub scout camping, and my dh's birthday falls right around the next trip to camp. I am hoping to come up with a gift that will be good for the camping life.... one that would be useful or, heck, just fun to take camping

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

dutch oven!! so many options for cooking with it.. it's fun to use.. take briquettes like for a bbq and you have "instant coals" to use with it.

Or we got a grill for cooking over the fire.. it's half grill and half griddle and is really nice to work with.

How about a water bottle with the good filters so that you don't have to use the water purifying tablets or such on hikes.

A leatherman knife.. my dh carries one and it may be the most used piece of equipment.. he wears his in a case on his belt.. but I'm just as likely to come and "snitch" it as he is to use it.

what sort of things do you have?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I asked my newest Eagle Scout (ds) and he says:

HEADLAMP.

A good one, with sturdy brackets for the strap (some have flimsy brackets that break easily).

Having light AND two free hands is wonderful, he says.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

there are just so many wonderful things out there.. but what do you have? what do you want to do while camping? how do you want to camp?

A dutch oven isn't a good choice for someone that wants to do backpacking vs car camping.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JodieLyn wrote:
there are just so many wonderful things out there.. but what do you have? what do you want to do while camping? how do you want to camp?

A dutch oven isn't a good choice for someone that wants to do backpacking vs car camping.

We have a new tent from Santa... one that my dh can stand up in, finally.
We have knives. My mother is buying dh a nice camping chair.

I believe my dh has a head lamp, but it is very old and quite nerdy (but works fine). I wonder if a newer version would be good? I do like the hands free idea.

They are camping at a Boy Scout camp with lots of hiking trails and a big lake. Bathroom situation is a bit primitive. Very little showering go on...
There is a mess hall. Both dh and ds love fires... hmm....

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What about a compass? That's one of the things that's required in boy scouts (not cubs) is compass work. But it might be nice to have ahead of time.

oh I have it.. a good pad for under the sleeping bag

-Sir Walter Scott

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My son has also extolled the virtues of Cool Max shirts, high-quality rain suits and thermal underwear (the new kind that wicks away moisture, not the old waffle kind) and Leatherman multitools.

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

JodieLyn wrote:

I was just going to say a Thermarest pad. They are very comfy. And if you are not backpacking, they have big cushy ones. Highly recommended!.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

mom2mpr wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

I was just going to say a Thermarest pad. They are very comfy. And if you are not backpacking, they have big cushy ones. Highly recommended!.

This may be the very thing! Dh likes to be comfy. ANy suggestions as to where to buy it? Amazon? Walmart?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sierra Trading Post has good deals, especially if you can find it in clearance or "bargan barn."

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Campmor can also have pretty good deals, sometimes they'll beat Sierra Trading Post for the item I'm looking for if I can find it clearanced.

-Sir Walter Scott

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I got ours at Campmor many, many, many, years ago.   I LOVE that store. We even stopped in on a road trip once to SEE that place It's in NJ if I remember correctly. It is not an LL Bean in Maine, or Cabela's in MI, but it was fun.
Enjoy your hunt for a fun birthday present.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

two items that are more tips than anything else:

I'm always very, very grateful that we remember to bring a little mat to place outside the tent for wiping shoes on... AND one for inside the tent in case you have no covered entry and keep shoes on the inside.

Also, my MIL introduced me to a snazzy little item: it's a collapsible broom... perfect for sweeping out the tent or sweeping off the mats.

Also, I'm always happy to pack TWO vinyl tablecloths... most camping sites we go to have very long picnic tables and one never covers it.

Finally those of you who may be in the market for a tent, I would highly recommend investing in this one: it is superb... yes an investment. But if you are an avid camping family you know that you typically get what you pay for. I love the features of this tent. We have little kids and I'm not comfortable with them sleeping in their own tent yet or having their own access door. So this is perfect: we set it up so the one room is the kid room and dh, the baby and I have the room with the doors.   And their is still room to spare. We could put 5-6 kids easily on one side. And maybe 4-5 of us on the other leaving room to come in and out. It's excellent quality.

It's big... gargantuan... something you'd never see in Europe.    But after my self-consciousness with its hugenessa wore off, I fell in love with it... it's definitely a Pro-Life tent.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bug Zapper Racket

My dh brought one like this home for ds, and not only is it great fun for an 8 yo boy, it is the perfect tent accessory for camping. No troubles with mosquitos or gnats in the tent with this around

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version