Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Price book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Does anyone use a price book to help them save money at the grocery? I just wrote a post at my blog about one I have created. I would be interested to know if and how you use one as well.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've tried, but it's something that I seem to do fairly well without a book and so I find that trying to do a book makes me crazy.

Especially with prices changing so much these days.. like 6 yrs ago (give or take) a good price on ground beef was .88/lb now it's 1.65/lb and I haven't seen that in a while and talking to people.. the price of beef is going up.   

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:

Especially with prices changing so much these days.. like 6 yrs ago (give or take) a good price on ground beef was .88/lb now it's 1.65/lb and I haven't seen that in a while and talking to people.. the price of beef is going up.   

Not where I live...a good price around here is $2.49/lb. Yikes...but my mom always does say prices (especially meat, dairy, eggs) are more here than there.

Thanks for sharing yours, Becky. I keep thinking I should do a price comparison sheet/book like that, because like Jodie I tend to do it by memory - but alas that seems to be failing me. I can't always remember if it was a better price somewhere else. I thought we had someone post a price sheet example here at some point - but then again it might have been in our local group. There is a mom here who is really good at this.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I have always just done it from memory, but now that we'll probably be staying in our current city for the long-term, I have plans to put one together--I was actually just talking with my husband about it last week because. We have a lot of shopping options here, and remembering prices for 5+ stores is getting overwhelming. I also want to have notes of the absolute cheapest produce gets when it is in season--I like to really stock up when it's super, super cheap, but I can never remember the lowest it usually hits. Prices change a lot here too, and there's a slow incline as time goes on, of course, but I think the sale prices are stable enough that it's worth my time to make notes.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This is a really good idea and I need to do this. My memory cells have flown the coop!

I wonder if there is some kind of app I can get to keep this info/price book in my iphone.

I hope to get a chance to read your blog later this afternoon, Becky! I'm glad you shared!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:

I wonder if there is some kind of app I can get to keep this info/price book in my iphone.

That is a great idea - that is, for those of you who have phones capable of doing that...

If is hasn't been done better copyright that and get some kickback on it...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Mary the 1.65/lb was several months ago.. the cheapest I've seen ground beef since is 2.49/lb I'm keeping my eyes open and looking for other options (possible bulk purchase.. depending on what else I have in my freezer and how much I end up with.. I may be canning hamburger )

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I've done this (briefly!) in the past, but I found that I had trouble maintaining it. I think it is a great idea if you are consistent with it.

One online resource (but not free) that really helped me track prices/sales/coupons at my local stores was The Grocery Game. When I was using this I saved about 30% a week on my grocery bills. I always shopped according to the sales and I used coupons a lot. I stopped subscribing when I moved because I really didn't know what stores would be near me, but now that we're mostly here and have familiarized ourselves, I am going to re-subscribe. You can try it for free for 4 weeks and see if it works for you.

Mary wrote:
I thought we had someone post a price sheet example here at some point - but then again it might have been in our local group. There is a mom here who is really good at this.

It would be nice to see this, Mary. I was never sure I had mine set up quite right    ...

On a happy note, I got a beautiful leg of lamb (two actually!) for $1.99/lb, which is about as cheap as meat gets out here. I was thrilled, I love lamb           Our prices are just ridiculous, and only keep rising as summer approaches and the tourist season begins.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

Found one to try.

I'm going to try PriceBook. Let you know how it works for me!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I haven't been able to keep one consistently, but I've found that tucking away all my receipts helps. I might not remember exact prices, but I usually have a good feel for where I got something for the lowest price and can check my receipts. I keep them in a zippered pouch.

I also subscribe to several deal/couponing blogs, such as Money Saving Mom, Saving Naturally, and Organic Deals. The Big Red Pot has Kroger deals from my region (Delta), so I like to check there, too. Whole Foods deals are a little trickier but Healthy Life Deals is pretty good for those. I check my flyers and a couple of those sites before I make my list.

I've also been using the Savings Tracker to keep track of what I save with coupons and sales... not a price book, but it is kind of fun... in a nerdy, geeky kind of way.     

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm very limited on which stores I have locally and I also figure that the price of gas to shop not locally would eat up any savings.. not to mention huge swaths of time.

But Safeway is one of my major shopping stores.. I try and be careful and shop weekly sales except for things I know rarely go on sale (and even then might save .10) But the cashier has to have a manager check if the savings goes over 50%.. I love having to have that check.. I just sit there waiting with a smile on my face

But I usually have 30% off their regular prices anyway.. if I don't I make sure to check over the reciept really well.. a lot of times it happens like when I get eggs.. they repack the eggs from cartons that have broken eggs and such.. and sell them for .99/doz. Same eggs as the other options but cheap.. but those ring up not as a sale pice so don't show any savings.. and yet I'm saving tons.

-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I have used them in the past, and find that they can be very helpful especially if I am new to an area or our family needs to reduce spending quickly - a thorough regrouping from time to time.

But in the end, I'm very detail impaired and I work best with simple spending principles that help me to make good spending choices - without all the details. For example, I spend $1.00 a pound or less on fresh produce.... $2.00 a pound or less on meat...$2.00 for a loaf of whole grain bread, buy rice and beans in bulk, etc. I don't use coupons but will price match when I'm not too overwhelmed.

I'm very fortunate to live in an area with many food purchasing options and competition so I'm able to easily stay within my limits - as long as I pay attention!

Thanks for bringing up this topic...I'm very interested in the phone app      .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angie Mc wrote:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...is there one for BlackBerry?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie Mc wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...is there one for BlackBerry?

Love,

Oh dear. I don't know.    Surely there is!!!!! Those smart phones are so handy for this sorta thing!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Mackfam wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Found one to try.

I'm going to try PriceBook. Let you know how it works for me!

That app looks great! Waiting to hear if it is as good as it sounds!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I did it in NC. Haven't done it here. We've got a couple of different stores (WallyWorld and some local AWG places). I have general ballparks. But most of the time, I'm pretty on with it.

Besides I can never remember to take the notebook with me, these days. LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version