Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Lullaby help for a teen's essay??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Hello,

My name is Anne. I am Chari's daughter.

I am writing a paper for my English Class, and I was wondering if you could help me with some interview-like information. It was my intention to write about children and music (which is an overwhelmingly broad topic!), and as I brain stormed, filled note pages with pre-writing, and lay awake several nights ago attempting to find a focus for my essy, my thoughts found a direction which rather took me by surprise. I realized how interested I am in lullabies. So I will be writing about the use of Lullabies in family life, and the key role they potentially play in the bedtime "routine."

Here are my questions:

Does your family play lullabies?

In what ways are they incorporated into your family life?

Do they play a significant role in the bedtime process?

What do you feel are (and have you observed any) benefits of listening to lullabies (good exposer to music, parent-child bonding, calmed quieted house etc?)

When my little siblings have listened to lullabies, I have found the music has helped me as well (so relaxing, and sleep conducive). Have you, as parents, found lullabies beneficial?

Do you have any interesting personal anecdotes about bedtime routines, or lullaby listening?

As this is for my paper, it is probable that I will use quotes, so please include permission in you response.

Thank you so much!

Gratefully

Anne Bryan

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Lullabies are not a normal part of our routine, but from time to time, I will sing them at naptime or bedtime. If I do it more frequently, I find that the kids ask for them at other times of the day also.

What I have found is that as I get toward the end of a pregnancy (last trimester), I tend to be more interested in singing lullabies. I sing to only one child at a time even though 4 of 5 of them share a room. I usually start with my youngest, and the other kids will quickly ask to have me sing to them also. I do not know that the singing itself is soothing to the kids--I believe it is to me--but the lullaby I sing most often involves touch. The words have to do with body parts so I gently stroke their fingers and toes and face as I sing it. I have noticed that this definitely makes them more relaxed, and I remember feeling the same way when my mom did the same thing when I was little.

I know a few different lullabies, but this one is the most popular. After I’m done singing for everyone, they each want me to come and cuddle with them for a few minutes. I think being in a mellow, nesting mode starts me singing which then means a few more affectionate minutes at bedtime for them which means I’m more mellow after I turn out the light for them.

I hope that helps! If you find something you’d like to quote, you certainly may.

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 30 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Anne,

Although I sing to our children, they are not the traditional lullaby. I may use the same melody, but I change the words to fit that individual child. I may add in their name, or something about the day they were born...I will also sing soothing hymns like Immaculate Mary.

The effects are very soothing on the whole family, myself included. I do not have the greatest voice, although my children think so    I think a lullaby is soothing b/c it is a slow melodic song sung with love.

Good luck on your paper & you have my permission to use whatever quotes you need.

Jenny

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 30 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

When I first read your request, I immediately thought, "I don't sing lullabies to the kids and never really have." Then I realized that I was wrong! I do and did! (I guess the morning coffee hasn't taken it's full effect yet since I'm still working on finishing it off!)   

So Anne, yes, I sing lullabies to my children, mostly in Spanish. I do have a cassette tape with some Spanish lullabies and folk songs, and the kids have listened to it off and on over the years.

The time I most often sing is actually when my littles have gotten hurt! There is a little rhyme in Spanish that is about healing "today or tomorrow." I put it to music and sing it to my littles whenever they get hurt and run to me for comfort. (Actually even the 10yo asks for it sometimes!) This is VERY important in our lives.    Very soothing.

When my littles were littler, I sang lullabies to them every night as they lay in their beds and at quiet time. My now 4yo was very difficult to put to bed, and he always fell asleep to my singing. He had favorites that he requested over and over again. His little brother, who shared the room, had different favorites, so I took turns singing to one, then to the other. I often changed the words to songs to include the boys' names. I sang to my older boys when they were small too. So for years (until each child is 2 or 3), lullabies are a necessity at bedtime in our house. I suspect that if Daddy wasn't reading to us at bedtime every night, we'd still need lullabies in bed.

Benefits: bonding between the child and me. I loved that time, even if it was difficult because I had much to do. I often fell asleep too, so it was a very relaxing time. Singing has always calmed my children when they are scared or tired. (I sang to my infants when they were upset and crying. Two of mine had severe colic, and singing helped.) I love to sing and find it very relaxing. I also think it builds wonderful memories. I have beautiful memories of my mother singing certain Spanish lullabies to me and years later singing those same songs to my children. My grandmother still tells the story of how she'd put me to sleep evey night when I was 2 by singing a particular Spanish lullaby to me. She lay in bed with me each night, and I'd start off by sitting on her head or her stomach, singing loudly the Spanish lullaby. Eventually I'd settle down and go to sleep next to her as she sang. I love my grandmother dearly and smile when I think of it. To this day, she still gets a twinkle in her eye when she tells the story. She was and is a very loving and patient woman!

You may quote me if you wish. And Anne, thank you for giving me the opportunity to pause and dwell on the beautiful details of life!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 30 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm a lullaby-er, for sure. I remember a time, when Michael was little and I was on chemotherapy, that I could not catch my breath enough to sing. When I went to the doctor and told him about it, he asked if I was a professional singer. I laughed and said I was just a mom whose little boy needed nighttime songs! He changed my medication .

I sing all sorts of things: tunes made up with nicknames for each child, classics like "A Few of My Favorite Things" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," hymns, camp songs like "It only takes a spark..." and our all time favorite: a rendition of "Hush Little Baby" that uses Sylvia Long's lovely, nature-inspired lyrics.

Two of my children wouldn't let me sing to them. They are probably the most musical of the bunch and it was likely painful to listen to me . For them, Baby Needs Mozart was part of the naptime and bedtime routine. My girls use this CD almost everyday to dance.

Bedtime is really a special time in our house and we all have enjoyed the closeness. Lullabies are a part of our family culture, a part that is very dear. And the Mozart CD? It always goes with me to the hospital to labor. For me, if it's good enough to listen to in labor,it doesn't get any better. I have to wonder, too, if the new baby doesn't recognize the familiar music because he has heard it so often in utero, while his siblings (and often Mom, too) settle in to sleep.

You're welcome to quote and do post your paper on the narrations board. I know we'd love to read it!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: March 30 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Odd, I know, but our favorite lullaby is Irving Berlin's Moonshine Lullaby (Warning: Lyric websites are notoriously pop-up infested).

I sang to the kids to get them to sleep, and because everyone needs to hear music. It was calming at bedtime, and part of the routine.

I also sang songs I made up for each child, with their names and soothing lyrics.

Use whatever you need.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 30 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hi Anne!

I wrote briefly about lullabies on my blog recently. Great minds think alike . To your questions...

*Does your family play lullabies?

I sing them. We don't play them on CDs.

*In what ways are they incorporated into your family life?

In addition to singing them at bed time, they are wonderful to sing when a child is ill, hurt, or anytime comfort and relaxation is needed. One of my most bittersweet memories is when my then 3yo was on his way to the hospital, terribly sick and dehydrated. He looked me and could only say "Sing." When he was 16 months old he had asked me to "Stop" singing so I was surprised at the request. I broke into our lullaby routine then distinctly remember singing "Let's Go Fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins, his favorite at the time.

*Do they play a significant role in the bedtime process?

Yes. I see the biggest significance when they are transitioning from nursing to sleep at night. When the bedtime nursings are shortened then finally are finished, the lullabies continue.

*What do you feel are (and have you observed any) benefits of listening to lullabies (good exposer to music, parent-child bonding, calmed quieted house etc?)

All of the above. Since I'm a "family togetherness" fan, I'll vote that the bonding is my favorite perk.

When my little siblings have listened to lullabies, I have found the music has helped me as well (so relaxing, and sleep conducive). Have you, as parents, found lullabies beneficial?

*Great point, Anne! Yes, I find lullabies to be soothing. I also find the lullaby routine to help me shake off my day if it has been a difficult one. It facilitates ending the day in a positive way, as if we are making amends with each other.

*Do you have any interesting personal anecdotes about bedtime routines, or lullaby listening?

Nothing more to add at this time. If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

*As this is for my paper, it is probable that I will use quotes, so please include permission in you response.

Permission granted .

Anne, if appropriate, please consider sharing your paper with us. I would be very interested in your perspective.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

We have used a Brite Music lullaby tape(I think its called Brite Dreams) for many years. My 17 yo dd remembers listening to it and our newest favorite is
JUNIOR'S BEDTIME SONGS
VEGGIE TALES SING ALONGS
I start this one up right after prayers with my three youngest boys (6, 4, 2)...and it definitely lulls them to sleep. My 6 yo ds is quite picky with what he listens to...some voices and instruments hurt his ears or just make him sad.
My dh starts this one over again when he goes to bed   
...as it relaxes him, too.

*permission granted for quoted info if needed*

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Angie Mc wrote:

*Do they play a significant role in the bedtime process?

Yes. I see the biggest significance when they are transitioning from nursing to sleep at night. When the bedtime nursings are shortened then finally are finished, the lullabies continue.

This happens in my house also...it works wonderfully

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version