Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Activities for Lent for preschoolers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

Can anyone recommend some lenten activities for preschoolers? My kids are 4 and 3. Thanks so much!
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This won't be comprehensive, but a few ideas:

We are awfully fond of the Lamb of God countdown from Karen Edmisten.

Stations of the Cross boxes

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

We do the crown of thorns activity that has been mentioned lots of times on the forums. (Here's a link to a salt dough version.) Instead of having the children pull sticks throughout the day, they each do one in the evening. We have a paper chain to count down the days of Lent, and each loop has a prayer or hymn written on it that the children know. During our evening devotion time, one of the children pulls that day's loop and all of them say the prayer. That is their "good work," after which they can pull a toothpick from the crown. On Easter morning, the toothpicks are gone and I decorate it with ribbon and flowers. They love this little devotion and look forward to it every year (and that's saying a lot--my two oldest are only 4, but they have remembered doing it for the last two years.)

The Stations of the Cross box Jenn mentioned was a huge success here last year. They talked about it for months.

The children love praying the Stations the traditional way too--the bowing before each plaque and all. Last year I had them color pictures of the Stations and we posted them down the hallway to use.

Stabat Mater has been a wonderful hymn for them to learn during Lent. They sing it all year.

This year I really want to incorporate something similar to this candle idea. I love the meaning behind it and candles are always a hit with the littles!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

JennGM wrote:
This won't be comprehensive, but a few ideas:

We are awfully fond of the Lamb of God countdown from Karen Edmisten.

Stations of the Cross boxes

I am totally excited to try these out this year with my 4 and 2 yo! Yay!!!!!

Any idea where I can download a great copy of the Stations of the Cross pictures to go along with the Stations of the Cross boxes?
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

JamieCarin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote JamieCarin

Thanks for the great ideas!

Ad Silvam Ibimus
Back to Top View JamieCarin's Profile Search for other posts by JamieCarin Visit JamieCarin's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Here are some things I posted on my blog last year. My kids are 5, 2, and I have a baby, so they were a little younger last year.

Bury the Alleluia
Activities that span the length of Lent for kids (This year I'm going to do the one with the beans with my kids)
Putting things away for lent
Pretzels for Lent
Printable Stations of the Cross for Kids
Printable Lenten Calendar for Kids (I drew this calendar myself to look like a game board. We're going to be putting it into a lapbook this year, and I'm really excited about it!)
Stations of the Cross Box

This year I also want to do some kind of rice bowl craft with my kids to collect money during lent. They did this thing at our preschool that was really cool, and I'm hoping to post about it soon. Until then, check out these church banks we made. My daughter took hers to mass last Sunday and poured her money in when the basket came around. She was so proud and soooo adorable! Our priest loved her little crafted church, too. These were a lot of fun to make and my kids are loving them.
Last Supper Egg Carton Craft (With free printables for this )

I do have a few more posts, but those are my favorites. You can see all the posts I have for lent here.

Hope this helps!

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

A couple of years ago (the Lent my son was 4) we did a rocks/stones thing. Look on my blog and search for "Lent" - it will come up :)

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version