Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Need Saint books for read-alouds Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Can anyone recommend some books about saints to read-aloud to my girls? We've been using the St. Joseph picture books about saints when we want to learn about someone, but they aren't exactly living books...
Thanks
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Diane

Jennifer,
I highly recommend the Vision biographies published by Ignatius Press. Given the name of your academy, I suggest you start with Saint Therese and the Roses by Helen Walker Homan. I just finished it with my girls (aged 3-11), and we all really enjoyed it. It's beautifully written and filled with many funny and touching stories about the childhood of St Therese.

The Windeatt biographies are good too, but I seem to prefer the Vision ones.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We have "discovered" the books by Claire Jordan Mohan this Lent. We started with The story of Padre Pio and are now working our way through Young Life of St. Faustina. She's written many -- some OOP -- but well worth it. They are beautiful and well-written.

For shorter Saint stories, the Ethel Pochocki books -- Once Upon a Time Saints and More Once Upon a Time Saints -- are awesome. These have saints you don't usually hear much about...great for rabitt trails. We also do geography with this (thanks to a suggestion from Mater Amabilis) looking at the atlas for where these saints lived, worked or died.

Hope this helps.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Anything by Joan Windham

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

In addition to the books mentioned, Ann Tompert's books are good, too. Some of Tompert's books include: Joan of Arc: Heroine of France; The Pied Piper of Peru (St. Martin de Porres); and Saint Patrick. My children also enjoy Blessed Kateri and the Cross in the Forest by Anne E. Neuberger (part of Our Sunday Visitor's Saints for Children series).

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Second vote for Joan Wyndham's Sixty Saints for Girls and Sixty Saints for Boys. She takes some licence (adds dialogue and some local details) but the stories are accurate. My daughter and I discovered that her story of St. Irene comes from Orthodox tradition (dd's middle name is Renée, French version of Irene).

I received Sixty Saints for Girls for Christmas when I was about 8. I never, ever forgot about those stories. I still have my copy, but the stories leap into my brain whenever someone asks, "Who was Saint (name)?"

Warning, the books are old and so she capitalizes some nouns that you wouldn't capitalize nowadays...but that's OK.

Also check out Joan Stromberg's books (Ecce Homo Press) about St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and St. Frances Cabrini. My daughter LOVED them.

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

My children enjoy the series Along the Paths of the Gospels put out by Pauline Books. They are in depth individual stories of saints in a hardcover but with colored pics on every page. However I think there are only 8 titles out so far...

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I third and fourth all the recommendations above. Vision Books, of course.

Ethel Marbach Pochocki. She had some older titles called "Saints of the Seasons" under her name Ethel Marbach, and then "Once Upon a Time Saints" series are under Ethel Pochocki.

And anything by Joan Windham. I don't think any of her books are in print, but there are many to find OOP:
Six O'clock Saints
More Six O'Clock Saints
New Six O'Clock Saints
Sixty Saints for Girls
Sixty Saints for Girls
Saints by Request

Keep your eyes out for her complete collection Story Library of the Saints, 3 volume set, which has the collection of most of her stories.

Encounter Books, or now called "Encounter the Saints" series by the Daughters of St. Paul. Excellent, wonderful saint biographies. They are shorter than Vision, so easier to read aloud.

Another book by the Daughters Fifty-Seven Saints. That one has gone in and out of print, but it's very good. The stories of St. Agnes and St. Tarcisius are really so great, especially for kids.

Saints and our Children by Mary Reed Newland has some read-aloud stories which illustrate different virtues.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 23 2008 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:

Ethel Marbach Pochocki. She had some older titles called "Saints of the Seasons" under her name Ethel Marbach, and then "Once Upon a Time Saints" series are under Ethel Pochocki.

Old thread here but I was searching for an answer to my question and lo and behold Jenn has the answer

I have an old copy of Once Upon a Time Saints but it is printed under Ethel Marbach. I wanted to know if Marbach and Pochocki were one and the same. Now I know.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 23 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Old thread here but I was searching for an answer to my question and lo and behold Jenn has the answer

I have an old copy of Once Upon a Time Saints but it is printed under Ethel Marbach. I wanted to know if Marbach and Pochocki were one and the same. Now I know.

Isn't that funny? I had to call the publisher to make sure. There aren't many Ethels, so I thought it must be her.

BTW, the Once Upon a Time newer series is a bit different than the older one, but both are good. The illustrations are definitely different, and there are some extra saints in the newer version.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We really like the series mentioned above - Encounter (a little more stilted language for young readers reading to themselves) and Vision and Wyndeatt.

We just found a book published by Daughters of Saint
Paul written by Michael Aquilina III. It is called, St Jude A Friend in Hard Times. My 5 yo has suddenly developed a very close friendship with this saint just from reading the book.

There are the Forbes set but might not hold the youngest's interest.

We really enjoyed, And God Blessed the Irish The Story of St. Patrick by Chris Driscoll (think I got this one from Emmanuel Books). It was interesting to all of us.

Two books - Heroes of God's Church and In God's Garden are small collections of lives of Saints. There aren't many pictures and they are hardback but good. I think I got these from neuman Press but maybe also available through Emmanuel Books (it is hard for me to remember where, exactly I got them).

One of my all time favorites especially for younger children is Faces of Courage by the Daughter's of St Paul. Unfortunately, I believe this one went out of print but it really is worth looking for. It includes well written lives of St. Agnes, St. Pancratius, St. Germaine, and St. Bernadette and is vividly illustrated.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2008 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I'd like a good book of saints with stories that are just a few pages each, to do a "Saint of the day" type reading with my kids, 6 and 8. We have some of the younger ones which only have about 1/2 of a page per saint -that's a little too brief. But I don't want 20 pages to read aloud each day either (along with the rest of my read-alouds!)

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version