Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: no phonics reading part 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Hope you don't mind that I sort of stold your post title Stephanie. I was going to just reply there, but since the discussion was regarding German, I thought I should start a new thread.

After reading this post about Delightful Reading I went on over to Simply Charlotte Mason to read a bit more about it. There is a series of articles on how to teach reading CM style, so I began reading and came upon this quote:

You may have noticed that we haven’t said a word about phonics rules in all these reading lessons. That’s because Charlotte did not emphasize them. Yes, she included some phonics guidelines as they would be helpful to the child, but she did not teach them as rules with multiple exceptions. She encouraged the child to form his own general mental guidelines based on his experiences with sight words and word-building. She trusted the children to deal with language capably.

It has me thinking about how I have always taught my kids to read phonetically. What are your opinions? I do use sight words, especially with my very visual 9yo, but I had always stressed phonics early on. Now I'm not so sure...

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

phonics is a shortcut to reading.. children are able to read much sooner by using them.. learning to read by sight is a more time consuming process because you have to build vocabulary before you get to the point where you can read books and of course you can get stuck on new words.

But eventually everyone does sight reading most of the time.

phonics, or the ability to use it, is also a huge benefit for spelling.

but in the end the whole point is to be able to read and how you get there just isn't that important once you are there.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I really think it depends on the child and their strengths. As I said in the other thread, I haven't used phonics with any of my kids. Perhaps my slower readers would have benefited from it, but I don't think that Nicholas would have learned to read any faster using phonics. And he's always been an excellent speller. Zachary was a slower reader and struggled with spelling too. (So maybe phonics would have helped him.)

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Good points Jodie and Janette. I see that my 9yods does very well with sight words and, except for the spelling I make him do, he doesn't seem to use any of the phonics he's learned to aid him in reading.

My 7yo, on the other hand, needs to sound out everything.

This could just be where they are at in the "learning to read process" or maybe their learning style. I guess we need to adapt things to each child.

I noticed in the article,that the author does say phonics instruction was included "to add variety and keep things interesting". I see that it would also aid the child that needs the phonics. The article describes a way to teach reading that seems to be a nice blend.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version