Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Scripture Study Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

What is your go-to reference for Scripture Study?

My teen dd is trying to read her way through the bible. She has a few references but nothing that really gets into the nitty-gritty as to why certain practices were allowed...for instance: I kings and curses. We want a sound reference that is in no way "new and innovative" IYKWIM...

The Navarre bible commentaries are on our wish list. Is this all she may need or can you recommend something more??

TIA!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I like both the Navarre and the Ignatius Revised Standard study bibles. The Ignatius has more in-depth historical commentary, maps, and more references to church doctrines; the Navarre is more inspirational with quotes from saints and doctors of the Church.

For "school" type study, Ignatius is probably preferable. I'd also recommend Understanding the Scriptures for an excellent overview and commentary.

I really think "reading your way" through the Scriptures is about the toughest way to learn the Bible. However, if she really likes the beginning-to-end approach, you might consider investing in Jeff Cavin's series, The Great Adventure.

Another good option is the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology's online class, Genesis to Jesus

Or, she can follow along at my blog for BASIC information as we go through the Scriptures: Bible Basics. Links to all the Bible Basic posts are on the left side under "labels".

Hope something here fits the need!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Thank you Caroline!

We have already used Jeff Cavins program and Understanding the Scriptures. The Ignatius studies have only just begun for the OT. They just released Genesis.

We have used so many things up to this point that give a general overview. She wants to really get serious and advance more at this point. "in-depth historical commentary, maps, and more " is really what she is looking for, do you have any other ideas?

Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Well, Donna, I think the trouble with going up to the "next level" is that there is a lot of material that is academic, but not faithful. My best suggestion would be the books by Fr. Giuseppe Ricciotti. They are almost all OOP (I think The Life of Christ, popular edition, is in print; it is actually my least   favorite). A few of them are very expensive, but perhaps you could find them if you keep looking or if you have a really good (Catholic) library nearby...I know Christendom has them. They were written during and just after WWII, so some of the archeology is not current, but overall they give a good fairly in-depth commentary on the historical and cultural background to the Scriptural text that is faithful and devout, while not being overly technical or lengthy. They are:

The History of Israel, two volumes (best historical commentary on the OT from Exodus to the Maccabees that I have read)
The Life of Christ
Paul the Apostle (best work on Paul and Acts)
The Age of Martyrs

I do own all of these, and maybe I could loan them to you if we could work that out.

If you can't find these or don't want to borrow them, and she wants to do more research, I'd begin with the Original Catholic Encyclopedia(online) and then go on from there. You might consider getting a historical or biblical atlas atlas. Another possible idea is to use the Periodical Guide to find articles on subjects of interest. Biblical Archaeology Review is a magazine we subscribed to for years. It is NOT Catholic or even Christian, but if she wants to know both what archaeologists know today and the controversies surrounding Biblical archaeology, this would be the best current source.

The trouble with Genesis, for example, is that once you get into the more advanced books, you have to deal with a lot of different ideas on Creation, Evolution, when the texts were written, who wrote them, somewhat graphic descriptions of pagan rituals, etc., etc. You also get into the whole area of textual criticism, dating of the texts, the veracity of miracles,.... I have not found a single in-depth text that is currently in print that does not either have an huge axe to grind on one of these issues or that is 100% faithful to Church teaching. It's more a process of sorting out the wheat from the chaff. If she's a very advanced student, she may be able to do this. You might consider studying a little Aquinas first, or getting Ott's The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma. This is really pretty technical college level stuff.

I'll keep thinking...maybe I'll come up with more. I'm heading back to our VA house soon and I'll look at what I have down there. If I see anything that looks like it might be better (or cheaper) than what I mentioned above, I'll let you know.

ETA: Wow, I don't know if ANY of that is going to be helpful for you!

ETA: correction for author of "Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" plus link That's what happens when you fly by the seat of your pants!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Looking over this again, Donna , I'm thinking the St Paul Center might be your best bet; it's kind of like Understanding the Scriptures, but in a little more depth. Hoping someone else posts a couple of brilliant ideas here!

Flowing Streams

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Caroline, your recommendations would be the same as mine. Over the years I've collected a few Catholic Commentaries, some older, some newer. I know which ones I have to use caution, but I find them all very helpful.

Taking the beginning Scripture classes from Scott Hahn was helpful to understand the ideas put forth from different circles, and then being able to recognize some of these through some of the commentaries.

What Dr. Hahn and some of these newer Catholic scholars are providing for the Catholics are invaluable. It seems Catholics were late in the game with some of their crazy theories. Jewish and Protestant scholars have since dismissed some of these theories, but the Catholic circles have been slower on the uptake.

So the Navarre and Ignatius and St. Paul Center's are invaluable in providing strong, faithful and true interpretation.

I have a few titles I could share that could help your daughter in this direction. Then she could have more "discerning power" in reading other sources. A few maps books, etc. I'll have to dig them up and it might not be until next week if you are interested.

There are also great books understanding Biblical culture and customs, such as Daily Life in the Time of Jesus by Henri Daniel-Rops and books by Denis Shea. And she would really enjoy Maria Trapp's books about this very thing -- not Old Testament, but life during the times of Christ. The combination book Let Me Tell You About My Savior: Yesterday, Today & Forever/When the King Was Carpenter is great giving some facts while mixing in with her remembrances.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Yes, Daniel-Rops is one of those I was thinking of when I mentioned to Donna in a pm that she might want to encourage her dd to focus on the NT. His books are good; I think more of them are in print than Ricciotti's. I enjoyed his work on St. Paul.

Well, if you think of anything else, let's post it here. Otherwise, I see another book that needs to be written...when I have some spare time

Flowing Streams

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Happy co-incidence. We just started looking at the Henri Daniel-Rops book (Daily Life in the Time of Jesus )last night. I had just gotten it used along with 2 other of his titles.

Sophia Institute has reprinted a few of his books. I assume that if I come across more they are keepers??
The Book of Books
The Book of Life
What is the Bible?

What can you tell me about Denis Shea?

My dd is really really interested in reading more of the OT. As I told Caroline, she is very mature for her age and doesn't want to get into the nitty-gritty of the dark side of things (e.g curses) but wants to know what the situation entailed and why God acted as He did.

We were involved with a higher level bible study but had to stop as it is rather far for a Sunday night. We covered the book of Hosea over several weeks. Lots of symbolism and such. It was very interesting. There were a lot of parallels drawn between the OT and the NT..that made it fascinating. I tried to ask for resources there but didn't really come up with much. He did recommend some protestant resources, but I know they would be lacking any Catholic understanding.

As far as Ricciotti is concerned,   I only have one of his books...the one that is your least favorite, Life of Christ.

This is all so interesting. Who would have guessed that my children would actually grow up??!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The Book of Books and the Book of Life are middle-school on up reading, the other book by Daniel-Rops I believe is more adult. He has another Jesus and His Daily Times, but I believe there are several versions, including a Catholic one, so read carefully.

Denis Shea's books are enjoyable walking through the daily life of Jesus and Mary and the First Christmas. They would be more "living books" to answer some of the questions of daily life of the Biblical times.

Antonio Fuentes A Guide to the Bible is a very good basic overview, and this is what we used in Dr. Hahn's class. See this and other titles at Scepter Publishers. These would be written following the Navarre School, and very, very helpful.

Also from Scepter is one of my favorite authors, Jacques Philippe, and his book Called to Life which talks about incorporating Lectio Divina reading into daily life. It's a wonderful book. All of his are really, really wonderful.

Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament by Chris Wright is another well-marked book I have.

One other from that class: God's Word to Israel by Joseph Jensen.

Anything by Father William Most is very helpful in study of scripture. You can view his works online here. He had wonderful books, such as The Consciousness of Christ, which addressed that Jesus was aware that He was God all along, and didn't gradually learn, and other points.

Other basic books: Introductions to the Books of the Bible: Old and New Testaments by the Daughters of St. Paul

Rome and the Study of Scripture is a classic compilation of papal enactments and writings of the Biblical Commission on the study of the Scripture. I have 1964, so obviously there is much more since then.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Excellent resources, Jennifer. One more I want to mention, though it is by a Protestant author, is The Historical Reliability of the Gospels by Craig Blomberg.,,I'll check this and add a link when I get to my main computer.

Basically, he refutes in detail the "Jesus Seminar" by using texts they admit are authentic and proving the accuracy of the Gospel witness and the reality of the divine nature of Christ. Very thorough and the best way to encounter the ideas of the extreme Jesus Seminar scholars...with a ready made response!

Flowing Streams

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Too funny, Caroline. I started typing that title, but since I didn't recall everything about the book, I waffled.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Hi, all! On my computer...couldn't say much before because I was browning my Chicken Cordon Bleu (a la Catholic Cuisine) for Our Lady of Lourdes (realizing, of course, that tomorrow is Friday so no chicken here )...multi-tasking...

Here's the link forThe Historical Reliability of the Gospels. It is really a good reference.

Jenn, I had to laugh ! I read your post and immediately I'm ordering those titles...I'm such a book-a-holic...it would be sad if it weren't so funny...

I should NEVER read anything you post!!! You and I love the same books and I really appreciate your recommendations ! Too much, maybe !

I have a few other books that might be interesting to her as she studies specific aspects of the OT. One I enjoyed, written from a Jewish perspective, was Sinai and Zion: An Entry into the Hebrew Bible. It explains how the ancient Jews understood these two great mountains and how they related to one another. Very intriguing..

Also, remember there are a lot of encyclicals that touch on OT topics and Scripture in general. For Genesis, of course,Humani Generis. You will also want her to read Dei Verbum. A few more ideas here.

Back to the chicken!!!

Flowing Streams

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version