Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Boycott Walmart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I wasn't sure where to post this but I blogged about boycotting Wal-mart this morning. Seems Planned Parenthood thinks Wal-mart is wonderful now that they've agreed to stock emergency contraceptives (RU-486) in all their stores after the courts in Massachusetts said the Wal-mart pharmacies in Massachusetts MUST stock this contraceptive. This is a known killer!

I don't know why I'm making such a stand -- I just feel moved to say, NO to Wal-mart.....

What do y'all think?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Mifeprex, mentioned below, is one of the drugs that is part of the RU-486 regimine. We definitely need to take a stance (the drug kills babies and mothers).

"FDA MedWatch - Mifeprex (mifepristone): two additional deaths following medical abortion
MedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program

FDA issued a public health advisory to notify healthcare professionals of two additional deaths following medical abortion with mifepristone (Mifeprex). The Agency received verbal notification of the deaths in the United States from the manufacturer, Danco Laboratories. At this time we are investigating all circumstances associated with these cases and are not able to confirm the causes of death. However, all providers of medical abortion and their patients need to be aware of the specific circumstances and directions for use of this drug and all risks including sepsis when considering treatment. In particular, physicians and their patients should fully discuss early potential signs and symptoms that may warrant immediate medical evaluation.

Read the complete MedWatch 2006 Safety summary, including links to the Public Health Advisory, previous safety alerts and other supporting information, at:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2006/safety06.htm#Mifepre x"

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I think it's a great idea to take a stand! If nothing else, it is a huge witness to your kids. My mom's boycott of a billion things when we were kids made me more aware of carefully choosing what to buy and where to buy it from. We already don't shop at Wal-Mart just because so boycotting is moot, but I think the RU-486 issue is a really good reason to do it.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2006 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

There must be a dozen reasons to boycott Walmart. I'll add this one to the list.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Mary, I'm with you on this. We don't shop at Walmart for all the reasons you mentioned on your blog. This latest injustice just seals it.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Wow, I'm so glad to read this. Not that I'm glad Walmart is selling abortion drugs but that I am now informed. Does this mean that we should boycott Sam's Club as well? I have to admit I sort of hope not (I save lots of money there), but it is more important to take a stand for what is right. It will be a good lesson for my kids. We frequently hit Walmart for this or that because it is so handy.   
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Becky Parker wrote:
We frequently hit Walmart for this or that because it is so handy.   
Becky

...which is why PP is so happy they've agreed to stock the contraceptive!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Is there a list somewhere of pharmacies that dispense Mifeprex /RU 486?
I cannot imagine that Walmart is the only one.

Viv

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mary G. wrote:
Seems Planned Parenthood thinks Wal-mart is wonderful now that they've agreed to stock emergency contraceptives (RU-486) in all their stores after the courts in Massachusetts said the Wal-mart pharmacies in Massachusetts MUST stock this contraceptive.

Do you know why the courts made this decision?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary,

Are you sure it's RU-486 they are forced to sell, or the Morning After Pill (Preven...a high dose of birth control hormones,which isaborifacient)?

Not that one kills less than the other, but if you contact Wal-Mart or the media it is essential to not confuse the two, as the pro-death lobby is now using that tactic to publicly dismiss all critisism of the Morning After pill, or Plan-B, or Emergency Contraception (EC).

In other words, if you use the term RU-486 when referring to Plan-B or EC, their tactic is to correct your mistake and say....."See, they really don't know anything about EC, but we do, so let us educate you." Then of course they go on to insist EC does not promote an early abortion like RU-486 does. It's already being done in our newspapers.

Like I said, they both kill. Just be careful to protest the correct drug.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

momwise wrote:
Mary,

Are you sure it's RU-486 they are forced to sell, or the Morning After Pill (Preven...a high dose of birth control hormones,which isaborifacient)?

Not that one kills less than the other, but if you contact Wal-Mart or the media it is essential to not confuse the two, as the pro-death lobby is now using that tactic to publicly dismiss all critisism of the Morning After pill, or Plan-B, or Emergency Contraception (EC).

In other words, if you use the term RU-486 when referring to Plan-B or EC, their tactic is to correct your mistake and say....."See, they really don't know anything about EC, but we do, so let us educate you." Then of course they go on to insist EC does not promote an early abortion like RU-486 does. It's already being done in our newspapers.

Like I said, they both kill. Just be careful to protest the correct drug.

Thanks Gwen -- I stand corrected. Here's the distinction PP uses on their website:

There is considerable public confusion about the difference between emergency contraception and medication abortion because of misinformation disseminated by anti-choice groups. Emergency contraception helps prevent pregnancy; medication abortion terminates pregnancy.

I still think this is wrong to make acess easier to contraceptives that are anti-life. Isn't this still an abortafacient?

Thanks Gwen for catching my error.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:
   Here's the distinction PP uses on their website:

There is considerable public confusion about the difference between emergency contraception and medication abortion because of misinformation disseminated by anti-choice groups. Emergency contraception helps prevent pregnancy; medication abortion terminates pregnancy.

See? EC makes the uterine lining hostile to the implantation of the baby. Of course it kills; but the pro-death spin doctors have succeeded somewhat in defining the baby as a baby only after in has implanted in the womb, which is why they say it "prevents pregnancy."

Mary G. wrote:
Isn't this still an abortafacient?

Oh yes! Your whole premise is still correct.    Just don't let them catch you confusing the 2 drugs.

It's almost a full-time job keeping up with the lies, half-truths and spinning of the baby-killing industry.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

So, Walmart really is the place for one stop shopping. I can see the shopping list now:
shoelaces
toothpaste
bread
an abortion
gallon of milk.

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

I've not liked shopping at Walmart for a long time-but never really knew why. Mostly I didn't like how I went in there and came out with stuff I didn't even know I needed. We call it "stuff-mart" now. WalMart seems to be taking over the world-they are everywhere now. The stores are like a tabernacle of consumerism-everything you (supposedly) need to make you happy and complete can be found inside.

So now I have my concrete reason to boycott Walmart. But it will be hard-we are there at least twice a week.
I buy books and clothes online-I wish there was an online store where I could buy toilet paper, lightbulbs, notebook paper and all the other things I go into Walmart for. I would even be willing to pay a little more just for the convenience factor!

Ok, I'm rambling.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

momwise wrote:
Mary G. wrote:
   Here's the distinction PP uses on their website:

See? EC makes the uterine lining hostile to the implantation of the baby. Of course it kills; but the pro-death spin doctors have succeeded somewhat in defining the baby as a baby only after in has implanted in the womb, which is why they say it "prevents pregnancy."

Gwen -- I thought it quite interesting that PP, in defining the term (which they've probably created) use it as a chance to slam "anti-choice" folks! I'm not anti-choice -- I just choose life!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Mary G. wrote:
Seems Planned Parenthood thinks Wal-mart is wonderful now that they've agreed to stock emergency contraceptives (RU-486) in all their stores after the courts in Massachusetts said the Wal-mart pharmacies in Massachusetts MUST stock this contraceptive.

I guess I'm confused. Is Wal Mart CHOOSING to stock this drug, or did the courts say they must? Are they being forced to stock it by law, or are they making the choice themselves to stock it??

Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

TracyQ wrote:
Mary G. wrote:

I guess I'm confused. Is Wal Mart CHOOSING to stock this drug, or did the courts say they must? Are they being forced to stock it by law, or are they making the choice themselves to stock it??

Tracy -- I'm sorry I confused you. They were ordered to stock it in their pharmacies in Massachusetts. But I guess Wal-mart has a corporate policy of doing for all -- so they've extended it (voluntarily) to include ALL their stores! Does that answer your question?

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Okay girls, I get the boycott and am ready and willing. Now I have to ask, where am I goona' shop? We're already boycotting Target nationally for their refusal to allow The Salvation Army to collect donations for Christmas for the poor AND Target's recent installation of Starbucks into their stores (we're boycotting Starbucks for their Rainbow Coalition funding)... I can get most of what I need from local grocery stores but love being able to get everything in one-stop shopping. How about Costco? Never been there before, but if we're not boycotting, maybe I'll give it a try. Do they do groceries?

Also, is there a letter or something (petition wise) to sign and email on any pro-life websites? We usually get e-alert updates but I haven't had one yet...??

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Hey guys......I hate to throw this in, but I don't think any other pharmacies have refused to sell the morning after pill. In fact they've all been selling a version of it (the birth control pill is aborifacient) for some time now.

In other words, all of the other stores you can shop at will probably be stocking the pills. WalMart was singled out because they dared to try to refuse it.

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

I dont boycott stores. I just can't. Especially not walmart or target. Frankly, my middle america family cant afford to not shop there for some things.

Also, if they are stocking preven (and not ru 486), its the exact same as them stocking birth control- which they have for yrs. its erxactly the same drug sold under a new name and with slightly different instructions.

I cant see why I should boycott walmart for selling birth control. if I went with that theory I'd be hard pressed to find somewhere to buy my kids medicines, since most drugstores sell the pill.
Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Okay, I just posted, then edited, then finally deleted the whole thing! This whole issue just has me really upset. My problem is where to shop? Besides the big stores like Walmart, Sams, KMart, etc. all we have is a small local grocery that is very expensive. Not to mention the fact that in the check out lanes just by the candy they sell condoms! Then there are the magazines!! Geesh! I try to teach my kids to be modest and guard their eyes but it's hard when there's nothing else to look at while we stand in line! I wish I could afford to just mail order groceries. I hate the idea of supporting a store that sells morning after pills, bad magazines or whatever. I truly don't know what to do about this.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version