Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: First Communion Invitations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I come asking for help with the wording of dd's invitations. I guess I am trying to make a statement, plant a seed, educate, and invite, all in one little piece of paper
The only practicing Catholics that will be there are us, my parents, and dd's godparents.   We have a bunch of family who have fallen away (they are the biggest question marks for attendance    ), in-laws who are Baptists, maybe a Jewish family (my cousin) and an atheist, most likely attending. All very nice people who love us and we love them, and they want to share our special day.
I would like to give them an idea of what is really happening and why we do this.
I was thinking along the lines of John 6, but then, that might be too much for some to understand without a lot more description. I was also thinking along the lines of it being her second sacrament and building grace in her soul.
Maybe I'll use some of John 6,"whoever comes to me shall not hunger..." Tough stuff to present in a few short sentences.
I am getting the cutest photo of her from her baptism to put on the invite. I think it will be pretty and special. I am just wondering if anyone has btdt with the invitation wording and has some suggestions.
Thanks!!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You might want to consider perhaps on the back of the invitation.. the little blub in the Misselette about if you're not of our faith, not to take communion etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I thought of that. I am hoping our pastor will cover it though. I am pretty sure he will, he's that type of guy, God bless him!
I am really trying to give people the jist of what is happening and why the eucharist is so important to our faith and lives.   Without being too deep or preachy or scaring people away("unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man.....")
This is tough but I am seeing it as a way to help people understand what we believe, not offend and gently lead and maybe.......
I might just look for a good explanation in a book, the Faith Explained perhaps, and quote it on the back of the invite. If the holy spirit leads people to turn it over well......
IF anyone has any other ideas I am all ears.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you can also hmmm give only part.. like... maybe on the front you can do

"do this in remembrence of me.." with the chapter and verse (they can then look it up to read more but you've brought it to mind at least)

And then inside invite them to celebrate with your daughter that she will be recieving this sacrament in the church (and wouldn't it be her third? baptism, reconciliation and then FHC)

And maybe mention that a sacrament is "an efficacious sign of grace instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church by which divine life is dispensed to us"

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't have any wording right now, but you could write it in a way that it is from your daughter.

Written in prayer form, or reflection form. So it could be something like

"I am so happy! Today I will receive Jesus for the first time under the form of bread and wine, but it is no longer bread and wine, but really and truly Jesus Christ, body, blood, soul and divinity.

Please join me...."

If you're writing from the child's point of view, you can cover great ground without being preachy!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

We've sent a note to our pastor when the Masonic relatives were going to be in the congregation for a sacrament. We hoped that it would be helpful to him in his sermon or instructions like Jodie recommended. The sermon reflected the info, whether or not our letter helped.

Your pastor might be the one to answer your question…

I look forward to hearing how it goes and if your guests show any interest. Be sure to add Rosaries and other prayers to that effect!

By the way, tell her she has my prayers for the most wonderful day! Ask her to pray for us as she prays for others. Her prayers are most efficacious with God on this day!

Mary

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version