Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: I need a new vacuum... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

we have a dyson, that is seven years old, and now the dog hairs are all over the OUTSIDE..and my carpets just don't look as clean as I'd like them too. I'm thinking maybe we need a more "industrial" vacuum.. I like the dyson, but I think it's more a 2 kids kinda tool..
What do you use?? Links will be helpful, thank you!!

God Bless,

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I was going to suggest what you have, a dyson! We have six boys and a dog (black lab; actually salt and pepper lab, now.) I have had the vacuum in once for repair in roughly three years (the boys had used it and vacuumed without picking up! ), but we do need to clean the filter probably more frequently than the average home.

We got our dyson at Costco, and it's called "absolute." I'm sure there must be many models.

Ome of my friends has a dirt devil, that looks like a little dyson, cost about $70, and has lasted many years and she loves it.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote jillian

we have had good (read: expensive) vacuums over the years and my hair breaks them (clogs the hoses beyond repair and breaks the roller brush) because I shed so much. we have a cheap $50 vacuum that works better than any expensive vacuum we hvae ever owned lol. This is ours: Vacuum

Even with the stubborn pine needles that would get tracked into the house and dirt and all that kind of stuff it picked it all up amazingly well
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

We purchased a Bissell Momentum Cyclonic with Turbo Brush last Fall....with online discount and store sale it was about $80. It has become our chief vacuumer's favorite household tool... he never tires of using it and has been meticulous about keeping the filter and dirt cup clean. We seem to go through vacuums every 3-5 years or so. The new one has 12 amps. The turbo brush attachment head is quite powerful and great at picking up pet hair, cleaning stairs, etc. We're very pleased with it, especially since it was so economical and performs wonders with all those happy trails from kids and pets.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We don't own a pet but I'm notorious for shedding lots of hair (I used to have very long hair). So I decided I needed something that could pick up my mess. I purchased Bissell Pet Eraser. I like the lint adjustment it has at the bottom. I've only owned it for about two years but definitely see all the "hair" it picks up .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Grace&Chaos wrote:
We don't own a pet but I'm notorious for shedding lots of hair (I used to have very long hair). So I decided I needed something that could pick up my mess. I purchased Bissell Pet Eraser. I like the lint adjustment it has at the bottom. I've only owned it for about two years but definitely see all the "hair" it picks up .

I just got that same vac and I have to say I am extremely disappointed with it. I'd return it if I could, but I think I've used it too much for that. I have a yellow lab and dark carpets and I can see all the hair it does not pick up. I have to go over each area several times to get it even close to clean, making vacuuming take WAY longer than it should.
I do not recommend it, in fact, am on the lookout for a Dyson on sale.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Wre bought a Dyson Animal a few months ago and I've been very happy with it. Picks up our dog and cat hair very well and keeps up with our family of seven. We'll see what happens with spring but so far so good.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Wow. I've got a Dyson and it does a good job. Maybe yours needs some servicing? Cleaned the filter lately?
(Just trying to think of things that make mine not work as well)...

I've got five children, too, almost the same ages as yours (no baby, though), but no indoor dog (just chickens, geese, dogs, cats, turkeys, cows, and ducks outside, lol). We track in a ton of mud, drop lots of pieces of bark (firewood is our friend!), and of course, there are three of us with long hair. We do cut the hair off of the bristle brushes about every 2-3 weeks, just because it works better that way (this is a job for a meticulous minded ten yr old).

I'd check everything, make sure that the filter is clean, make sure that the beater bar is clean, and even clean the outside of the motor (those things get so dusty!). ANything and everything that might impede proper working order, iykwim.   

And if that still didn't work? I'd go get another Dyson.

I will add, mine is almost as old as yours, and its still going strong. So I'm not sure what the difference may be...but I'd check all of the simple fixes first, before immediately buying another vacuum, iykwim.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

I must aDmit its been a WHILE since I cleaned it...doing that now

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Hopefully, that will work. Cheap fixes are always nicer than shelling out a ton of $$.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version