Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: False positive?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

I had a positive HPT a little over a week ago, and then my internal exam was "confirmed" pregnant, THEN the bloodwork said my HCG was under 2...I had some cramping, that has now stopped!! (I have since had 2 more negative HPTs, but all under a week from the positive one) I should say that the cramping started after the +HPT and ended this weekend.

Could this be a first cycle after birth gone wrong?? Could it be a FALSE positive? What is it?? I'm so confused!

In Christ,

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I had a false positive test once. I had blood work the week of the positive which came back negative. When I saw the doctor he said I had not been pregnant.

It's a very confusing place to be.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

how upsetting.. false positives are rare but they can happen from what I understand.. also early losses happen too where you were pregnant but the pregnancy wasn't sustained long enough for you to even know you're pregnant without early testing..

Regardless, you'll react much the same emotionally and it's ok the grieve a loss even if you only thought you were pregnant and then found out you weren't.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

If your baby is still nursing, that might be confusing things hormonally speaking as well.

Back in the day, our grandmother's didn't know they were pregnant until they were a few months along. In a way I think there is a certain peace in that.

Why not take a deep breath, take good care of yourself this week, and just see how it goes for a couple of days?

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I had a "false postive" once. HPT was +, blood test a few days later was <5. My midwife explained it as a 'chemical pregnancy'. Conception probably occurred, but at the time of implantation just enough time to get the hormones flowing, something went awry.

I like what Elena said. I do think with super sensitive HPT's and blood tests, we find out so early.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

If you take a pregnancy test just before you ovulate the hormone LH can, once in a while, cause a faint false positive. And sometimes, especially in the first few cycles during breastfeeding, LH can be released, but then ovulation doesn't happen the way it normally would.

Once you ovulate, however, you will always bleed within 3 weeks (unless you are pregnant, of course). So if you have a period in the next week or two you either had a chemical pregnancy (meaning a baby was conceived, but died within a few days) or you had a false positive because the pregnancy test picked up the LH.

If you don't bleed then you almost certainly had a false positive because of an LH surge that wasn't followed by ovulation. If this is the case you will probably have another LH surge that is followed by ovulation in the next few months.

It's an emotionally wearing experience.

Sara
Billings Method NFP Senior Teacher

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

1/3 of my miscarriages was also a very early one. Postitive HPT on a Wednesday, and by Monday, my HCG was 0.

The doctor was wondering whether I was pregnant at all.

1). I knew I was...that woman's intuition thing...and other bodily signs...
2). I then bled for about 20 days...which was certainly not a normal period and definitely characteristic of a miscarriage.

That was just my experience, though...

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

OH! I missed the whole "first cycle after birth" comment.

You probably just had left over hcg in your body...

I wouldn't worry about it...given that this was your first cycle and you obviously very recently had a lot of hcg there.

Sleep peacefully and don't worry...

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

I just wanted to add that none of the possibilities I described above is anything to worry about in terms of your health.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version