Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Hello from Georgia, and a question.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Katie

I posted an intro last night, and MacBeth invited me to post on this forum, as we are currently living in the former Soviet republic of Georgia in the Caucasus. I'm not sure how often a need for information comes up, but I'm always willing to answer any questions you or your students may have in the future. My husband works for Peace Corps, which means, of course, that Georgia is a developing country. Lots of poverty and unemployment, and a very hand-to-mouth existence. The people here are wonderfully friendly, and we are thoroughly enjoying our new home. Georgia has such an ancient and colorful history, and was one of the first countries to convert to Christianity. There are some amazing churches and buildings hidden among the Soviet concrete!

The people here speak mainly Georgian, which has its own unique alphabet. I am trying to learn it but it is slow going. My son started learning Russian during his short stint at the international school, and really loved it. I said we could get him a tutor when we brought him home, and this we did. But boy oh boy, she is so dry, and the poor kid is only seven. I feel so bad for him! Oviously we're going to be finding an alternative. So finally here's the question : has anyone taught Russian before, and if so, what have you used? Even if you've seen anything for younger kids I'd be glad of the lead. I'm not afraid to learn along with him, in fact I am looking forward to it. Everyone speaks to me in Russian anyway, as I'm obviously a foreigner so it would be handy. I speak three other foreign languages, so I don't think I'll have trouble with grammatical terms etc. I guess I was hoping to find something fun for the younger set, but just haven't seen anything.

Thanks,

Katie.

PS. I am from Wales in the UK, so I'm also useful for any British or Welsh questions anyone may have. I enjoyed the Irish thread, and though you can see Ireland from my parents' house, I am ashamed to admit that I have never been there Next time I'm home I promised myself we'll go.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Katie,
     Welcome to the message board! I'm sure you'll have lots of input about the Russian language question, but for my two cents worth I'd recommend the Pimsleur Russian cds. Barnes & Nobles (on line) has one that consists of 6 or 8 cds, and costs about US$20. We are currently using the Pimsleur Mandarin Chinese cd and I think it is very good. Even my little guys listen in and learn (a few days ago I heard the two year old saying "excuse me" in Mandarin from the back seat of the car!) I chose this format because I didn't want to tackle the written side of Chinese with little kids, and perhaps the same would hold true with your little ones, I don't know.

I was a language major, too, and tend to like to see the grammar and stuff when I'm learning a foreign language, HOWEVER the Pimsleur tapes are unique because they do make you think. The Pimsleur method is very much like the spoken method used by the State Department's Foreign Service Institute. Like the FSI tapes, Pimsleur varies the question format, they harken back to previous lessons, they review (when you least expect it) and move slowly enough that you can wrap your tongue around the different sounds. I took Russian (many moons ago) and sometimes the pronounciation can be a bit challenging! In any event, perhaps concentrating on spoken Russian (at least at the get-go) might be a good way to begin. If so, the Pimsleur cds are an excellent option!

Good luck with your Russian. PS. Wasn't Stalin a Georgian???

Kelly in FL...20 minutes from Georgia (the state, that is!)
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Thanks, Kelly. I'll check those out, and for $20 sounds like the CD's are a relative bargain! I have to admit, I've seen the pimsleur method advertized, and always ignored it as it sounded somewhat gimicky! I don't know where I'd be without the internet and all the great advice and recommendations of other homeschool families. Wallowing in my bad curriculum choices, no doubt.

My ideal Russian curriculum for the children would be a mixture of conversation, songs, and maybe a computer game. We have access here to lots of children's books in Russian, so that is a plus. Also if you buy a DVD here you can choose to listen in Russian or English. I'm thinking lots of fun exposure and some guided learning.

Thanks again, and I hope to hear some other great ideas.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2005 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Katie wrote:
Thanks, Kelly. I'll check those out, and for $20 sounds like the CD's are a relative bargain! I have to admit, I've seen the pimsleur method advertized, and always ignored it as it sounded somewhat gimicky!

I know, I know. I ignored it for years, too, putting it in the Berlitz "behold-the-bedroom-of-the-baby" category of "learning" a foreign language. Then I happened to pick up a little book in the bargain section of B&N entitled, "How to Learn A Foreign Language" or something to that effect. I thought I'd pretty much seen it all in this genre, but for $4.95 I figured what the heck and bought it. I wish I could remember the author's name, but I can't, but the book was full of amazingly good ideas, many of which I'd never pondered. Anyway, for his money, he recommended the Pimsleur tapes for all the same reasons I mentioned before. Now, maybe he's on commission from Pimsleur or something, entirely possible. However, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Pimsleur cds and have to admit I agree with the bloke! Even though I tend to be a visual learner rather than an aural one, these cds are pretty good, and really do remind me of the Foreign Service Institute tapes (though less intensive, but hey, what do you expect for$20??? )

Kelly in FL   
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version