Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Favorite Super-Low Calorie Recipes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I really, really, really need to start shedding excess weight.    I am having trouble figuring out what to serve my family that will appeal to them and help me seriously cut back on calories.

Please share recipes, tips, etc.! No idea will be ignored!

Thanks so much...

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote jillian

I will be really honest, eat normal foods in moderation. www.fitday.com is a great tracking program so you can see where your calories are going. If you have an iPhone/iTouch check out MyFitnessPal app.

Cut out almost all the drinks such as coke(s), coffee creamer (go with something like splenda or truvia), juices or if you need the flavor put some lemon/lime juice in some water. if you want something fizzy, get a diet sprite or club soda and mix it with some juice or crystal light.

add more good foods like brown rice (in moderation), whole wheat pasta (in moderation), veggies and fruits in moderation.

if you don't mind me asking how much are you looking to lose? I needed to shed excess weight and went about it highly unhealthily, feel free to PM me for my story. You don't want super-low cal foods you want healthy balanced meals.

also eat breakfast first thing in the morning, or first chance you can get
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'd agree with Jillian

maybe use a smaller plate for your plate at a meal.. like a salad or dessert plate instead of a dinner plate.. it'll let you fill your plate and eat a good bit less than filling a dinner plate.

go easy on sugars and starches and heavy on the veggies and meats. but overall eat a bit less than you normally would.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

If you're looking for snack foods.. you might want rather than something low calorie that you eat lots of because you don't feel full you might try things like a small handfull of raw nuts that have good fats in them which helps you feel satisfied.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
If you're looking for snack foods.. you might want rather than something low calorie that you eat lots of because you don't feel full you might try things like a small handfull of raw nuts that have good fats in them which helps you feel satisfied.

I agree. I liked the book Eat Fat, Lose Fat. This concept makes a lot of sense to me.

Now, of course, the only way to lose weight is to take in less calories than your body uses. But, spending your calories on substantial foods at meal times and cutting out emptier calories like white flour and sugar seems to be the way to do it and not feel so deprived.

If I recall correctly, another reason the "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" diet seems to work well is because they advocate the use of coconut oil which is very healthy as well as satisfying, acting as a sort of appetite suppressant. So, adding some to, say, your breakfast smoothie will help you stay satisfied until your next meal.

Will your family eat soups? Most soups tend to be pretty low in calories but high in nutrition, and the volume of liquid can make them feel very satisfying.

Also, one of our favorite meals is black beans and rice (I cook the beans with garlic cloves and add cumin at the end to taste). We like lentils as well. Cooked with savory veggies (like the classic onions, carrots, and celery) and chicken stock, lots of legumes can be quite tasty, and adding some grated cheese or a dollop of sour cream can help add some healthy fats in a more measurable way (so your family is free to add more than you if you want to cut back).

Also, if your husband or son want something more substantial, you could serve something like grilled cheese sandwiches or paninis with a soup, and they can fill up a bit more on the sandwiches while you might be satisfied eating more soup and only half a sandwich.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version