Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: ideas for dramatic son Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

My 5th son who will be 4 next month has offered me a new experience in boy raising. All my others at this age loved puzzles, building, playing with army guys or super hero guys, etc. This son is different. It's not that he has a low attention span...he will sit and listen to stories forever. His favorite things to do are just more "dramatic" is the best word I guess. He loves dancing with me, watching musicals and Lawrence Welk, singing, playing games, etc. He is very rough and tumbly with his bros too and likes football and soccer.

Anyway, I'm finding it challenging to put out shelf work for him. I use a Montessori-ish method and like to put out numerous work activities for him. He seems to get bored though, and so I'd like to put out some that are more his style. In planning this year I even added "dramatic play" to sensorial and all the other categories. For example, in the month we worked on space I hung a sheet over his closet door painted it to look like a rocket ship. He loved this. This month we're doing castles and so I have out a play set with a castle, knights, dragons and of course swords for real life battles with his bros.

I'd like some more ideas if you have them, especially things he could do independently. I have his work set up on shelves in his room as he is right off the school room and I like when he can busy himself in the afternoon while I do lessons with the other 4. I work with him in the morning.

thanks!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2011 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Do you have stories on tape? (or rather cd) I'm thinking like Jim Weiss stories He has King Arthur stories. And if you have the stories he can listen to over and over.. and the props for acting out the stories.. or songs that he can sing along with and props for being a singer.. a microphone for instance.. those cheapy echo microphones actually are pretty neat and not too incredibly loud

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Yes the Jim Weiss CDs are a great idea!

The first thing that popped into my head was dress-up items. Capes, armor, ninjas, pirates, policeman, fireman, kings crown, etc. I always check the clearance costumes after Halloween. Capes are super easy to make

sheets and clothespins to make tents, forts, castles ; )

I saw a echo microphone at target for about $4

what about instruments? I'm having trouble thinking of an instrument that wouldn't disturb the whole house during school time. Maybe a lap harp?

Puppets would also be great for him. Have him act out his favorite story.

Sorry I'm not really familiar with shelf work but these ideas will be great to keep him independant
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Thanks for your ideas. Yes, I actually bought him one of those microphones for xmas, but it didn't work. I have to return it...darn. I will replace it. We have lots of instruments around. I actually got him an accordian for his bday last year (kid version) because he enjoyed it so much on Lawrence Welk. My older 4 sons now take piano lessons and my 5th wants to, but he just doesn't have the ability to focus that long yet. He is so full of energy and joyful it is awesome to watch him. Having several older brothers we have 2 big tubs of costumes too. So, a guess I already have a lot for him. I'm just looking for other things. I got him the pooh books on tape this week and he enjoyed them. I'll have to get more. He loves listening to music in his room. We get cds from the library. He sings to himself until he falls asleep...so cute.

My goal with him is to help keep his personality...not to push "school" and such on him. It is so amazing to see him and his free spirit. I guess I especially get to appreciate him having 4 before him who are very competitive and relatively similar.

Makes life interesting:)

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

Puppets are a big deal with my 3yo who is pretty dramatic. I also made him a table tent last year that he has in constant use (link is to the old blog as I'm still moving posts over to the new one). It fits right over our dining room table and he can hide out under there for an hour or two at a time some days with a few toys and books. :)

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

I do 'micro' plays with my son and he LOVES them. Its all kept to his level. My son is the main star. Usually it is on the saint of the day especially if it is a saint that brandished a sword and fought. Like St. Sebastian was like captain of the army and then was shot with arrow, and then clubbed to death. Its just the 3 of us, DH, DS and me but we made it work and we did it the way the story plays out quicky version - 5 minutes tops and then I let my son do it his way with his 'interpretation' of what happened.

The 1st and best of these was St. Martin of Tours. We also do St. Juan Diego like all the time, he LOVES it! And JOshua from the old testament, etc. He just loves it. Maybe you can do things like this. This is so easy and you neeed very little props, maybe cut out some things out of paper, I used paper arrows for ST. Sebastian - yes it was lame-o but it worked and no one complained. My husband is a big ham too so that helps out a lot!
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version