Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: How to get started sewing???? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

I have no idea how to sew but have an interest in learning. Any ideas on how to get started inexpensively and on such a beginner level? My DD is 4 and I would love to pass a skill/talent on to her or something that we could learn together.
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just bumped up another thread. I'm watching these free webinars and finding them VERY VERY helpful.

Homeschool Blogger Beginning Sewing.

If you are buying a machine, often times the store offers free sewing lessons.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

This is how I learned to sew a few years ago (not to say this is the best way, just what I did).

I had an old sewing machine that I had inherited from my MIL. I went to Hancock Fabric's and they directed me to the lady that offered lessons in the store. She was reasonable, so I took a few lessons from here.

At this point I realized that I needed a better sewing machine. I wanted a good one so I went to the local quilting store that offered Vikings. I purchased the best "mechanical" machine they had. The Viking machine came with a few lessons to help you learn how to use your machine.

From there I did a lot off easy costumes, curtains and simple skirts until I felt like I needed more instruction. I then found a professional seamstress that offered lessons and took about 8 lessons from her over the course of a year or so. From this point I knew as much as I want to know for what I liked to sew and only needed more practice.
Unfortunately, the best learning comes from practice and making mistakes, and then fixing mistakes!!!!!

I found personal lessons to be very helpful, because I liked the camaraderie and personal touch. Also, when I learned there wasn't so much on line.

If I was to learn today I would call all the quilting stores or stores that sell Viking or Bernina sewing machines and see what they offered for lessons.

I would make youtube my friend and search endlessly for sewing related videos. I learned how to do a quilt last year by watching videos.

I would also check out every sewing book from the library and read through those...if nothing else that to get inspiration!

Finally, I would find a project that you REALLY, REALLY want to do and go after it. I seem to always presevere the best at learning new things when I desire the final project enough!

(FWIW, this last method is how I taught myself how to knit about two years ago. There is so much on the internet!)

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I second that final thought - about finding something you like to work on.

The advice that hit home the most for me when I was really beginning came from a lady who wishes she'd received this advice in the beginning:

Just pick one thing - and learn it well, whether it's a functional item or not. Make lots of that one basic item - until you can do it in your sleep.

Then start tweaking it - adding pieces, removing sections, whatever is an appropriate modification for it. Make it smaller, make it larger.

So one person I know who took this advice, started with jumpers - she started with doll-sized pull-over jumpers, then adjusted up from there, adding pockets, then different styles of hems, then adjusting the neckline to different shapes, adding a zipper in the back, then buttons down the front in different configurations....

Finally she had her daughters dressed out in jumpers, had her nieces and friends set up with as many as they could take - and she moved on to simple dresses. She took that jumper pattern, modified the arm holes a bit - and voila! The only new skill she needed was making sleeves!

From there, she went simpler - to skirts - then to blouses - then to her husband's casual shirts and is currently working on the dress shirts.

So that one project - learned well, allows you to learn the next thing easily - because it minimizes the amount of new stuff to be learned - and you've been successful many times over, so you KNOW you can do it, even when you make a mistake

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The projects I first sewed were applique pillow with zipper, drawstring totebag, and then a pair of pants.

I still have the totebag and use it all the time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version