Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Sinus balloon surgery for kids? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 11 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Does anyone have a child who has undergone the sinus balloon surgery for bad sinus issues? Our 7 yo son has always been stuffed up and a year and a half ago he was allergy tested (allergic to mold and ragweed primarily) and has been undergoing allergy shots since then. He also takes Allegra and Patanase nasal spray. It improved it for a bit, but lately it just seems worse. When the allergist looked up his nose the first time she said, "If an ENT saw this they'd recommend surgery right away, but let's see what we can do with meds and shots."

Fast forward 18 months--he's up at night congested, dark circles always under his eyes, has difficulty chewing with his mouth shut because he can't breathe through his nose. We take him to our ENT who schedules a head CT to look at his sinuses. On looking at the results even an untrained eye can see the difference between the "normal" picture and his. He's completely blocked.

ENT is now recommending the sinus balloon surgery and adenoids out. He said medicine alone cures cases like my son's 10% of the time. Shots and meds work about 40% of the time, but this surgery helps in about 90% of cases.

Anyone have experience with the surgery? Was it helpful for your child? I'd love to get him off all these meds and spare him a life of constant discomfort, but I'm not a fan of surgery, but I feel like we've been trying everything else already and it's just not helping him.

Thanks!

Melissa
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm not familiar with it at all. But I know what it's like to be stuffed up from allergies.. and to live like that always would be terribly difficult.

It's gotta be a hard decision

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Thank you for your kind words!
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version