Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2011 Booklist! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Stacey! Sometimes I read a book like that.....just for something different....I ahve always enjoyed biographies. I want to read one on Audrey Hepburn.

Caroline...wow, those sound like heavy reading.....I am impressed!

Erin, what did you think about The Silent Frontier? I borrowed it from the library a few months ago...it looked good but I did not read it. Would a US citizen enjoy it? Could older teens read it? i wanted to put it on the girls' World Lit list.

Did Jodie Picoult write "My Sister's Keeper? That was written quite well.

Karen...I started...and never finsihed The Sil...I do not know how many times!!

Mimi, Stratton Porter was a woman   
...if you enjoyed Freckles, you will love Girl of the Limberlost!

Welcome, Jamie! I am glad to see a new name here! And, fellow-bibliophile!    How are you liking the "Confessions" book?

Ah, Julia.....I want to read "the Last station" thanks for the feedback!

Such great book choices in such a short time.....keep posting the books, ladies!!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin wrote:
I just read 'Plain Truth' by Jodie Picoult. Set in an Amish community in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Addresses the issue of neonaticide.

I just finished Plain Truth and liked it a lot! Thanks for the recommendation!

I also read The Queen's Dollmaker, which was also really good!   I loved all the details about doll-making. It takes place in England/France, during the French Revolution.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I just finished a Jodi Picoult book, Nineteen Minutes, for my book club. It was pretty sad; the main issues in the book were school violence, bullying and treatment of others. Pretty interesting. Very well written, but adults only.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Lori

I am glad to hear that Jodi Picoult is not fluff...that was my fear, going along with her apparent popularity, as well.

I have indulged in a series with a main character named "Myron Bolitar," written by Harlan Coben...not always edifying material, but interesting to see an author weave some innate conservatism (pro-marriage, anti-hook up culture, etc) into a mainstream crime novel.

Am just beginning Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Chari wrote:
Erin, what did you think about The Silent Frontier? I borrowed it from the library a few months ago...it looked good but I did not read it. Would a US citizen enjoy it? Could older teens read it? i wanted to put it on the girls' World Lit list.

Chari

I did enjoy it, I was going through an Australian history phase at the time. I considered giving it to my teen to read but... It was part of a series, not the first book,(I read the others too) and the main character re-united with one of his missing siblings. This brother was discreetly a hom***xual, not any unsuitable detail, more that I'm fed up at the moment with a major social engineering ploy going on. (I keep finding books where there is a 'couple' in the novel)

Oh and it does touch on the brutality of the time, but not overly so. Just if you had an extra sensitive teen, they may not like it.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I just finished the first three books of the Bayern Series by Shannon Hale.

I LOVED THEM!!! I really liked the Princess Academy by the same author and was looking forward to this series when I ordered them from the library. With my mom's surgery I've had a lot of sitting around time so I finished all three books in 2 days.

I would recommend them for ages 13 and up because of some sensitive topics. Nothing huge at all but better understood by that age group. (War and some death and parent issues) It is set in a fictional medieval town with royalty, castles, knights and lots of fantasy.

Looking forward to the 4th one when it arrives from the library.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Am Amish Christmas by Cynthia Keller

Just finished this from the library: the story of a family that loses everything in the bad economy and winds up staying with an Amish family for awhile.

I just grabbed it off the library shelf in a hurry, but I enjoyed it immensely.
The well-to-do family is overscheduled and overgadgeted, and they all have to adjust to a simpler life. For me, it was very thought provoking, as I often
wonder how I might feel if I had to give up the bulk of my material possessions.   Not Austen, but a good read for me at this time.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

aforb001
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote aforb001

I just finished The Arm and the Darkness by Taylor Caldwell

The story was about Cardinal Richelieu and the French Huguenots. She portrayed the protestants as saintly liberators and the catholics as evil suppressors. I was hopeful that she would have written a more balanced account of a very difficult time since I thought she was catholic.

Adele
Back to Top View aforb001's Profile Search for other posts by aforb001

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Melinda
sounds interesting.

Adele

I didn't realise she was Catholic?

I've just a Agatha Christie phase, re-reading our collection. Started with 'Let Sleeping Murder Lie'.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

aforb001
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote aforb001

Erin,
I'm almost sure she was listed in a search I had done for catholic authors. I read her novel about St. Paul which was very good. It was called Great Lion of God. I've also heard her novel about St Luke, Dear and Glorious Physician, was good.

Adele
Back to Top View aforb001's Profile Search for other posts by aforb001

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Yes, Taylor Caldwell was Catholic and I've heard good things about her biographical novels of the apostles. Interesting she would take such a view on the Huguenots.

karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have been reading a lot more this year so far. I'm on a list over on Ravelry, called "52 books in 52 weeks" where we post our books read each month and try to hit our goal, either 52 or some number you choose. I'm definitely on track to reach 52, as I've finished 15 so far. Here are my latest: (I think I'd already posted the first 6 earlier in this thread, what's below is copied and pasted in from the Rav forum)

7 The Restless Flame by Louis de Wohl (print)
8 Grunt Padre by Fr. Daniel L. Mode (print)
9 The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (e-book)

February
1 Time and Again by Jack Finney (print)
2 The Yellow Admiral by Patrick O’Brian
3 The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larrson (e-book)
4 Breathless by Dean Koontz (print)
5 The Husband by Dean Koontz (print)
6 Velocity by Dean Koontz (print)

Right now I'm listening to Dickens Bleak House and reading Hugo's Les Miserables on my e-reader. Both excellent, but both slow-going, so I keep taking quick breaks to sneak in a mystery.

Karen

JamieCarin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote JamieCarin

I just finished Prairie B*tch (sorry for the language) it was a memoir of Allison Angrim who played Nellie Oleson on Little House.

And I read/went through Images of America: Castle Garden and Battery Park (my husband and I are on a history of NY kick)

Ad Silvam Ibimus
Back to Top View JamieCarin's Profile Search for other posts by JamieCarin Visit JamieCarin's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Books that I read in Feb.:

How to Read a French Fry by Russ Parsons. An interesting kitchen chemistry book.

Room by Emma Donahue. A disturbing book but extremely well written. I like this book.

Every Last One by Anna Quindlen. A mom's life is turned around by a shocking act of violence. It starts out slow then, wham! you get sucked in. Very well-written.

Young Romantics by Daisy Hay. Non-fiction on the lives of Percy and Mary Shelley, Keats and Byron. Fascinating book.

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg. It was okay but the ending was extremely disappointing.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay. Excellent historical fiction about happenings during WWII.

I am currently reading "The Disappearing Spoon' by Sam Keane   and 'The Lord of the Rings' by Tolkien. I have never read this before and am wondering why.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

That's interesting to know about Taylor Caldwell as I have a couple of her books, one on St Luke.

Just finished The Forgotten Garden - Kate Merton. Very well written, engrossing, can't get it out of my head. However considering that the 'solving' of the mystery made me very uncomfortable not necessarily the best thing.

I think I'll go refresh myself with a Agatha Christie.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Erin wrote:
...I think I'll go refresh myself with a Agatha Christie.

Erin, I love Agatha's books!!! They are my book of choice for a stormy summer afternoon!

I just finished Wuthering Heights. I haven't read it since highschool, so I decided to give it a whirl. I really enjoyed it, whereas I didn't at 17.
I am now starting Madame Bovary, but I have a feeling I am not going to like it as well. I just want to finish it before Ash Wednesday, so I can immerse myself in my Lenten reading list!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings.. it's been a long time. I'm really enjoying them. Noticing the VOCABULARY in the books, not to mention the complication of the plot lines and the sheer number of characters. Some wonderful things in that book.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I re-read Lord of the Rings (all of them) at least every other year and always find new things to marvel over.

Karen

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

A Song For Nagasaki by Paul Glynn, S.M.

Every year I order a couple of books for myself along with the children's school books. This was one I ordered last August.

I am continually amazed at how good the Lord is... this is exactly the book I needed to read this week. I'm going through a period of mourning of my own, and Dr. Nagai's optimism and prayerfulness are exactly what I needed to see as an example.

Has anyone read Bells of Nagasaki? I am considering looking right to the source.

I really liked this book- will probably read it a second time, which is pretty rare for me.   

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Well, I finished Madame Bovary, and I was right. I didn't care for it anymore than I did in high school. I am enjoying my Lenten read, though!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version