Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Easy appetizers for Christmas Day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I'm soooo tired of all my tried-and-true recipes. My guests are used to having the same menu every year (and kind of like things that way), so I am stuck between wanting to make new foods and wanting to please them. And I won't have much time to cook because I have to play/sing two Christmas Eve Masses (so do dh and dd, so they can't help).

Please share your easy appetizer ideas!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well what do you normally serve?

I do a cheese ball because we all love it and it's the only time of year I do that.

you can do easy stuffed mushrooms by placing mushroom caps open side up on a cookie sheet.. filling with mozzarella cheese and sprinkling with garlic pwd. Then broil until the cheese melts and they're lightly brown.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I always make an artichoke dip. It's very easy.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

This is a recipe I found in a magazine. Served it at Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit.

Take one sheet of frozen puff pastry; thaw it for 40 minutes; roll it out into a square, 14 x 14
      In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup of softened dried cherries, 1/4 cup of chopped, toasted pecans, 1/4 cup of honey, and 1/2 teaspoon of chopped, fresh rosemary leaves.
     Spread the mixture onto the center of the puff pastry, out to 2 inches from the edge of the pastry. Place a 13.2 oz. brie cheese on top of that.
      Brush the edges of the pastry with 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon of water.
     Fold opposite sides of the pastry over the cheese; seal them shut. You might have to trim the pastry a bit.
     Place seam side down on a baking sheet. If you want, you can cut pastry shapes from the scraps and arrange them on top. Brush the whole thing over with the egg mixture.
     Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
      Serve with crackers or small bread rounds.

Peace,
Nancy

Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My family tradition was a cheese ball, sausage balls (Southern bisquick recipe, easy to mix and shape the day before and bake later), cheese straws (are actually even better make ahead of time), and veggies and dip.

My dh's family favorites included bagels with cream cheese and a slice of hard salami baked in the oven and served warm (yum!), and mini ruebens made on those little toasts from the cracker aisle, also heated in the oven.

Something I like but dh thinks is so-so is bacon wrapped dried dates or pecans.

Personally, I LOVE just fancy cheese and crackers. Boursin, brie, havarti, red leicester, wensleydale, etc... served with salami or pepperoni and olives or pickled onions.

The local pub serves the British cheeses with pickled onions and Branston Pickle (though, I imagine any favorite chutney would be a nice addition).

Really nice olives are a treat my husband and boys are especially fond of and, well, are super easy to put out, lol.

Cornichons were another treat we didn't normally have but would appear at Christmas.

We also often had a big bowl of mixed nuts in the shell. They are nice for socializing because they take a long time to eat

Cheese fondue and the trimmings (we like crusty bread and tart apples best) are not hard to put together if you have a fondue pot.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Our appetizers include the usual veggies and dip, bread and spinach dip, and the two I'll share, meatballs and crab dip. I like the meatballs, because you can make them up to a week in advance, freeze them, and then throw them into the crockpot with the sauce and heat them up the day of the event (usually a couple hours before I need them). The sauce I make the day before and refrigerate.

Meatballs and Sauce:

preheat broiler for 5 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef
1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons worcester sauce
1 can (5 1/2 ounces) of evaporated milk
2/3 cup dry onion soup mix (I usually use a rolling pin to smash it up more, but that isn't neccesary.)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Place meatballs (about a bouncy-ball size, so less than a pingpong ball, but bigger than a marble) on broiling pan 4" below broiler, and broil without turning, for 10 minutes. (I usually broil them 6" away, and I do turn them.)

Sauce:

Mix 2 cups of ketchup, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon of worcester sauce in saucepan, cooking for 10 minutes.

When ready to serve, heat sauce and meatballs.

Hot Crab Dip

Use one pound frozen crab (I will also used the canned crab!)
2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

Mix and cook on stovetop for 15-20". Serve warm with crackers.

These are my sister's (Ginger,) recipes. I think she got the meatball recipe from a family member in Wisconsin from their Lutheran church ladies' cookbook.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I sometimes make hot artichoke and spinach dip.

Ina Garten's herb dip with veggies is always a big hit too.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We're so basic, but I always love to have protein and veggies for appetizers.

The traditions started by my paternal grandmother,

My sister makes a cheese ball.
Oysters with crackers
Marinated Artichoke hearts
Meatballs
Shrimp cocktail

I also love devilled eggs and veggies and ranch dip. Boring and plain, but it's usually eaten!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Crockpot meatballs or mini-smoked sausages in sauce (there are so many variations...)

My family likes it when I make "pinwheels" - tortillas, spread with a savory flavored cream cheese (like chives, NOT like strawberry ) and then with ham or turkey or roast beef coldcuts and cheese, and then roll them up and slice into spirals. (sometimes lettuce and/or very thinly sliced tomato, too...)

Jello Fluff. My kids don't consider it really a holiday unless there is jello fluff included.

Cheese/cheeseball and crackers

Bisquits with spread and veggie topping, done in a wreath or a tree shape (similar to this.)

Baby pickles (sweet and dill), olives (green & black), hummus and veggies (heavy on the red and green...), ranch dip and veggies (always a favorite, no matter how common, kwim?)

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Veggie Squares:

* 2 pkg. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
* 2 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
* 1 cup mayonaise
* 1 pkg (or other Hidden Valley) Ranch Dressing (this is the dry, envelope type)
* 3/4 cup each - finely chopped * broccoli * cauliflower * green pepper * tomato * purple onion * cheddar cheese

Spread crescent rolls on cookie sheet - pinching together to form crust.
Bake 5 minutes at 350 degrees 'til light golden brown.
Let cool.
Blend together cream cheese, mayo & dressing. Spread on cooled crust.
Combine chopped vegetables and cheese and press into cream cheese.
Refridgerate. Then cut into small bite-sized pieces.

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

folklaur wrote:
Crockpot meatballs or mini-smoked sausages in sauce (there are so many variations...)

My family likes it when I make "pinwheels" - tortillas, spread with a savory flavored cream cheese (like chives, NOT like strawberry ) and then with ham or turkey or roast beef coldcuts and cheese, and then roll them up and slice into spirals. (sometimes lettuce and/or very thinly sliced tomato, too...)

Jello Fluff. My kids don't consider it really a holiday unless there is jello fluff included.

Cheese/cheeseball and crackers

Bisquits with spread and veggie topping, done in a wreath or a tree shape (similar to this.)

Baby pickles (sweet and dill), olives (green & black), hummus and veggies (heavy on the red and green...), ranch dip and veggies (always a favorite, no matter how common, kwim?)

My sister makes those pinwheels sometimes, and they are a big hit. I forgot about the pickles -- I love having (but only dill, NEVER sweet!).

Yes, I agree on the veggies!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

folklaur, you're so funny! I have this vision of strawberry cream cheese and veggie pinwheels...it's not pretty...

I love veggies and so does dh...and none of my other guests do. (We invite the same military friends every year.) Maybe I'll slice up a red bell pepper just for myself and dh!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

guitarnan wrote:
folklaur, you're so funny! I have this vision of strawberry cream cheese and veggie pinwheels...it's not pretty...

You need to let your imagination go just a bit further.. strawberry cream cheese and chopped up berries and fruit (maybe pineapple and kiwi) and rolled into a pinwheel

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

JennGM wrote:
folklaur wrote:
Crockpot meatballs....

Baby pickles (sweet and dill)...

My sister makes those pinwheels sometimes, and they are a big hit. I forgot about the pickles -- I love having (but only dill, NEVER sweet!).

Yes, I agree on the veggies!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I put the meatballs into a crockpot.
And pickles!!! Yes!!!   Always a staple for parties, and yes, always dill. My mum, sisters, nieces and I would devour the pickles before anything else.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

We usually have something pretty simple, like cheese and crackers, some olives. Maybe a platter of shrimp. No one has a huge appetite, especially the kiddos since they can eat however much of their candy they want all day.
I'm liking the idea of the deviled eggs, though. I them, so they might make an appearance this year!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version