Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Holy Saturday Wedding? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Would you attend a wedding on Holy Saturday for a family member?!?! It's obviously not a Catholic wedding but we just rec'd word that our nephew will be married at 5 pm on April 23. Dinner at 6 and reception 7-11.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That is the holiest week of the year, and we would probably opt out. I don't know all the ins and outs of the family dynamics, but that would be my husband and my knee jerk response.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Oh, wow. That is a tough call, isn't it? Because most of my family members are in various ministries (music, etc.) at our church, leaving town or attending special events during the Triduum would be hard for us if we were in your situation.

Since I don't know details (travel, etc.) or your own family commitments, all I can suggest is that you and your husband take all of these factors into account as you prayerfully discern what you should do.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Oh my, I have no advice. (... huge help, I know). But offering my prayers as you discern!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

We would not (not telling you what to do just saying what we would do). Holy Saturday is supposed to be a solemn day of prayer leading up to Easter. I just wouldn't feel right going to a wedding. That being said, check with your pastor --personal preferences aren't the rule of the Church.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

Is it possible that they scheduled it then because everyone would be on Spring Break/Easter holiday and could attend more easily?

Hard to say what I would do but here would be my considerations. I suppose it would depend on how large the affair was (would attend small wedding of 30ish guests but would opt out of a 150+ grand wedding) and if travel was involved (in town would probably attend, any further than 2 hours would not). With our small children we don't attend Easter Vigil anymore so we wouldn't have a scheduling conflict per se but if that was our current habit, I wouldn't change it for a wedding. I would also feel fine about attending the wedding but not the dinner or reception as a compromise. I come from a mixed bag family when it comes to religion and practices, so this sort of thing comes up a lot.

Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

MicheleQ wrote:
We would not (not telling you what to do just saying what we would do). Holy Saturday is supposed to be a solemn day of prayer leading up to Easter. I just wouldn't feel right going to a wedding. That being said, check with your pastor --personal preferences aren't the rule of the Church.

My sentiments exactly. No, we would not attend.

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

Kathryn wrote:
It's obviously not a Catholic wedding but we just rec'd word that our nephew will be married at 5 pm on April 23. Dinner at 6 and reception 7-11.

If it were a local wedding, and it was my nephew, I'd probably go. Because it is in the late afternoon, I'd consider it like the eve anyway. At least everyone would be fed before going to the great Easter vigil!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

How close are you to your nephew? Are you a favorite Aunt (or your DH a favorite Uncle)?

If I were close to my nephew, and it didn't involve excessive travel, etc, I would absolutely go.

(The following is just MY personal opinion, feel free to skip it :) - Although Holy Saturday is a supposed to be a solemn day, I believe that Jesus calls us to love above all other things. If my absence would be a glaring omission, I could not hurt other people like that, and especially not by doing so "for Jesus". I don't think He would much appreciate me using Him as an excuse like that, and especially since it is not a Catholic wedding (so the couple doesn't recognize that there could be conflicts like this,) but still hopefully a once in a lifetime event for the couple, I would want to be there with them on their special day. I really don't think God would really have a problem with that.)

If it was a family member that we were not really close to, the situation would be different.

So - the variables make a difference, IMO.

Prayers for you as you discern what is right for you and your family.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 11 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

If it were in a reasonable driving distance, I would attend the service and the dinner, but not the reception. I would use this opportunity to mention that, because we are Catholic and it is Holy Saturday, it isn't possible to remain after dinner for the reception. In a nice way, of course, not condescending, but more as an "FYI, this is why we can't stay."

BTW, I have never heard of having a separate dinner and reception? Around here, the reception usually includes a cocktail hour followed by the introduction of the wedding party, then a dinner and then dancing. Interesting how different regions do things!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Thanks for the replies. It is about a 2 hour round-trip drive (which would make for 4 hours to get back home same day w/ 4 kids incl a 3 1/2 yr old and 6 mo old at that point). It's not a "close-close" relationship so I think we'll be able to send our regrets and not attend and prob. not have any hard feelings.

I think my in-laws (his grandparents) are even uncertain about attending as well. His mother asked him "did you realize this is Easter week-end?" and he said yes. I didn't get more details than that as to why they chose that day.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I would try to say as much of a "yes" as I could without neglecting fulfilling Holy Saturday obligations and traditions.    

I also wouldn't feel stressed about it because there are natural consequences to any date that a couple chooses to marry...some dates are more accomodating to guests than others.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version