Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Sherlock Holmes Anyone? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I like to give my dc a book for Christmas every year. My oldest dd has stumped me. She has been hinting at wanting to read some Sherlock Holmes. I vaguely remember reading mysteries about Holmes and Watson. I know she will enjoy them. My question is: Which book version would you recommend for a very voracious and advanced reader like my 10 yr old dd (who still enjoys a picture here and there)?

I've gone online and there are just so many versions out there, please help! (I'd prefer original writing, so would she)

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

If your daughter enjoys having illustrations then it might be worth looking for a version which reproduces the original Sherlock Holmes stories from the Strand Magazine complete with illustrations.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Imho, the themes are pretty mature - most of the short stories are published in collections, and include all sorts of nastiness, mostly hinted at rather than directly named - like domestic violence, murder, vulnerability of women, etc. I would recommend you pre-read some first to see if you are comfortable with your own 10yo reading them. I might let my ten yo (if I had one!) read selected short stories but not just hand over a book. I imagine you could find some free online. The Blue Carbunkle is a Christmas story that is quite light and cheery.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

ekbell wrote:
If your daughter enjoys having illustrations then it might be worth looking for a version which reproduces the original Sherlock Holmes stories from the Strand Magazine complete with illustrations.

Thanks for suggestion . I did see something like this on Amazon and I do like it, I thought the number of pages per volume might be overwhelming at this point. Do you know if reproductions exist say per magazine rather than as a collection?

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

LucyP wrote:
Imho, the themes are pretty mature - most of the short stories are published in collections, and include all sorts of nastiness, mostly hinted at rather than directly named - like domestic violence, murder, vulnerability of women, etc. I would recommend you pre-read some first to see if you are comfortable with your own 10yo reading them. I might let my ten yo (if I had one!) read selected short stories but not just hand over a book. I imagine you could find some free online. The Blue Carbunkle is a Christmas story that is quite light and cheery.

Thanks for the warning. Like I said I vaguely remember reading the mysteries so your input is much appreciated. I'm definitely looking up your suggestion for a lighter story. Would there be a better set of mysteries more appropriate? She has read several Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, I think she is intrigued by the time period Holmes is set in and of course the mystery part.

Grace in Loving Chaos

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Jenny, you might want to know also that the character of Sherlock Holmes is an opium addict and occasionally in the course of the stories is either incapacitated or described as visiting one of the opium dens of the era. Opium was legal when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote these stories, but it was still a devastating addiction and had damaging social repercussions. Sir Doyle does show from time to time the impact of opium addiction on Holmes.
What about Chesterton's Father Brown Mysteries books? They are mysteries and set at least in the late 19th century. They might be a little bit slow-moving for her, though.
One mystery I enjoyed recently was a Newberry Winner in the 1920'S entitled The Windy Hill. Enjoyable mystery with a girl and boy finding out the history of an old man and helping him bring about a just solution to an old injustice. Very nice read by Cornelia Meigs. It has been re-printed in paperback.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Have you looked at the books at Ecce homo press
http://www.eccehomopress.com/gl-books.html

All of the books are great but there are two historical mysteries: The Search for the Madonna and The Iron Spy

They are both Catholic and exciting.
My 11, 10 and 8 year olds really enjoyed them.

Aagot
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Thank you for posting this question - and thank you all for answering! I know a 13 year old who is a good reader, but emotionally younger than her age - and she LOVES mysteries! I'm going to look up these suggestions!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote Erin

We're big mystery buffs here, but I'd have to agree with Lucy, I think from memory I didn't give dd Sherlock Holmes until 15.

Actually I'm not sure that Fr Brown would be appreciated by a 10 yr old, nothing objectionable, just my 10 yr olds tend to be still reading Trixie Belden etc at that age.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

There are children's books based on Holmes - I did a amazon.com search to start you off - here is a start and here is another option. Searching Baker Street Irregulars would be a good start.

Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Erin wrote:
Actually I'm not sure that Fr Brown would be appreciated by a 10 yr old, nothing objectionable, just my 10 yr olds tend to be still reading Trixie Belden etc at that age.

Actually, Erin, I agree with you! Can't think why I posted that suggestion! It does look like there is a dearth of quality mystery books for the intermediate readers. This is such an attractive genre for the 9-13 age group, it is a shame there are not more exciting yet still uplifting choices out there.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Instead of Sherlock Holmes, you might consider Chesterton's Father Brown Mysterys...or Ray MacInerney's Father Dowling Mysteries.

Oops...just read the post immediately above mine...I guess someone thought to suggest this, as well!

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I'm so glad I posted. Something was telling me it might not be appropriate yet. Thank you ladies!! I'm looking up some of the other suggestions. I also found that CHC has a combo of two Father Brown Readers. I'm thinking this might be a good intro to Chesterton (this is on my list to eventually have them read unabridged or adapted).

Grace in Loving Chaos

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jenny

There are so many mysteries aimed at the 10 yr old. Thought I'd pull some old threads together for you.

Mystery Books
Detective/Mystery Series
Mystery Novels - Female Heroine
Mystery with Christian Content

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thank you for pulling those threads together, Erin. Just added that to my favorites!

Flowing Streams

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Ditto ! Reading through them

Grace in Loving Chaos

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Grace&Chaos wrote:
I'm so glad I posted. Something was telling me it might not be appropriate yet. Thank you ladies!! I'm looking up some of the other suggestions. I also found that CHC has a combo of two Father Brown Readers. I'm thinking this might be a good intro to Chesterton (this is on my list to eventually have them read unabridged or adapted).

My older girls loved the first Father Brown Reader and my oldest (who was 11 at the time) went straight to the original stories after she finished the reader.

She actually had quite a bit of fun seeing how the stories had been adapted (the plots are the same but the language is simpler).

We are eagerly waiting the Second reader as it's been ordered but not arrived yet.

Speaking of mysteries, I'd recommend Agatha Christie before Holmes. I've quite a few mystery books and I've noticed that my oldest dd (now 12) has found my Agatha Christie's to be more accessible then my Holmes.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version