Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: pronunciation question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Can anyone tell me what word or words would use the " 'u' with the 2 dots on top"? DD has to find a word with that symbol as part of the pronunciation, and so far we haven't found anything in the dictionary. Nor can I figure out what sound it really makes. "rounded lips while saying long 'e'" is what my dictionary says.
Anyone know?
TIA!

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

It is called an umlaut and is used in German regularly. A German word used quite commonly in English which has an umlaut is "uber" but since I don't know how to add the umlaut here, I think you spell it "ueber."

ETA: To clarify, the two dots are the umlaut and can appear over letters other than "u"

It is a prefix you could use as an elevation to any word. So, "ubercool" would mean "super cool."

Your description on how to pronounce it looks pretty accurate to me which you can see from the alternate spelling as "ue". It is a German sound and doesn't really have an English equivalent. I think that when used informally in English, most people pronounce it "oo", but that isn't quite right.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Yes, to all of the above.

über
gemütlich = cozy, comfortable
Fahrvergnügen = wasn't there a Volkswagen advertisement...?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Oh my Lindsay, I'm in awe of you!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

This site has a pronunciation of "ü":
ü pronunciation in German.

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

I'm late with this response, but I had looked for it, too!
: )

\ ü \       as in rule, youth, union \'yün-y&n\, few \'fyü\. As an unstressed vowel before another vowel, \ü\ is often pronounced as a schwa with slight lip rounding that is separated from the following vowel by the glide \w\, as valuing \'val-y&-wi[ng]\. This reduced variant is not usually shown at individual entries. Younger speakers of American English often use a more centralized and less rounded pronunciation of \ü\ in certain words (as news and musician), both in stressed and especially in unstressed syllables.
From Merriam Webster Dictionary
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Your dictionary is correct. To properly pronounce this letter, say "eeeee" while pursing up your lips like you would to say "ooh." (That's how we learned it in German class...)

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

That is one of the most difficult if not the most difficult sound for american language natives to speak in German. It is also harder for us to hear the difference between "u" and "ü" and therefore spelling becomes an issue...
Ask me how I know.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version